Advice on Plans

Kroozen

Hello,

I'll be sailing to Bermuda in early May. I've been there once before, so I have a pretty good idea of what I want to see, but I was hoping for some advice on my Itinerary. Tell me what you think...

Day 1: 3pm Arrival

Since we don't arrive until 3pm, this will be a dockyard day. We'll get our 2 day transportation passes, and explore the sites of the dockyard. I was thinking about getting a drink in a pub, and then just exploring the area on foot.

Day 2: Full day

Since we'll have all day, this will be a St. George's day. We'll catch an early ferry, and head to St. George. I'd like to stop in some shops in the town square, then head to Tobacco Bay for some swimming and sun bathing. After that, I'd like to catch a taxi to Alexandria's Battery to walk around the grounds and pick up some sea glass. After that, I'm thinking about heading to the Swizzle Inn for a snack and some rum swizzles.

Day 3: Depart at 6pm

Since we'll have most of the day, we'll head to horseshoe bay to go swimming. I'm planning on taking the #7 bus round trip. I'm thinking we'll follow the path and walk to the other beaches nearby. If there's still time, maybe we'll spend a little more time in the dockyard area once we leave the beach.

How does this sound? Should I be moving something around? Thanks for any input or advice :-)

You're on GoS, and arrive on Sunday, correct?

I think your plan is good.

Here are some comments. The first ferry to St George on Monday is at 9:30AM and the next at 11:30AM. These times are from the 2013 summer schedule. When people mention Tobacco Bay, I always think of snorkeling not swimming and sunbathing. Would you consider Fort St Catherine Beach which is about ½ mile from TB? It would be less crowded. For best selection of sea glass at Alexandra Battery Beach, try to time your visit there close to low tide.

SBtS

its a nice walk from St Catherine to Alexandria's Battery, I'd skip the taxi. Also a quick walk back down to town from Alexandria's Battery.

The distance from FSC to Alexandra Battery Beach is about 1 mile and even further from Tobacco Bay. The distance from ABB to King's Square near the ferry dock is a little more than ¾ mile.

Yes, I'll be on Grandeur, arriving on Sunday. Thanks for the info on Fort St. Catherines Beach. I've heard of it, but I don't know much about it. Does it have bathrooms or any other facilities?

There may be portable toilets and a cart vendor there in season.

SBtS

Yes, I'll be on Grandeur, arriving on Sunday. Thanks for the info on Fort St. Catherines Beach. I've heard of it, but I don't know much about it. Does it have bathrooms or any other facilities?

Last time I was there which was September two years ago there was a porta potty, seaweed and no one swimming, and one couple walking on the beach.

If you are arriving Sunday be advised the water is going to be cool. I can't imagine swimming in early April.

I can't imagine swimming or snorkeling in early May either.

YMMV.

I see that you are from Maryland...Can you recommend any hotels near the port that offer parking for the week? I did a search online, and I found the Holiday Inn and Best Western...Can you recommend one over the other?

I see that you are from Maryland...Can you recommend any hotels near the port that offer parking for the week? I did a search online, and I found the Holiday Inn and Best Western...Can you recommend one over the other?

We have not stayed at Holiday Inn, but have stayed several times at the Best Western in Elkridge (I think there are 2 BW that cater to cruisers). We booked on Trinity Reservations. Room for the night before, parking while on the cruise, shuttle to the port, all for one price. Very satisfied with hotel and price.

However, not really within walking distance of anything other than a pub-style restaurant next door. BTW, the food is pretty good.