Grand Turk/St.Thomas snorkeling

jimbri

Good morning everyone. I am posting this question on both boards. I will be cruising on Carnival to Grand Turk and St. Thomas in May. I have never been snorkeling and would like to try it. I can swim but am no expert and do not like to go in water above my head (maybe a little bit if I know I am close to safety :)) Can I snorkel in shallow water and which island would be better? Also, which beach would be good (must have bathroom)? Thanks.

St Thomas will be your preferred spot for snorkeling, and for a nice, calm bay with good snorkeling very close to shore look at Secret Harbor. Also a restaurant and dive center on site with chair and snorkel gear rentals. 20 - 30 taxi and $10pp each way.

Coki is another option but it's very crowded and a bit rougher.

Sapphire is our favorite but no restrooms or rentals.

No other beaches really offer snorkeling of this quality.

You can also taxi and ferry to St John and try Trunk Bay. Gorgeous beach but always crowded and the snorkeling there is reported to be deteriorating.

So SH seems the best choice - enjoy!

Here's a map of STT to give you an idea where the beaches are located.

http://www.virginislandsthisweek.com/st-thomas/maps/st-thomas-island-road-map.html

If you have never been snorkeling, I do NOT recommend that you go it alone in shallow water. You will have a tendency to try to stand up if/when you are uncomfortable. However, you may then stand on various marine animals and plants who would rather not have fins stomping on them. ;) A better idea would be to go on a small boat excursion where crew teaches you, provides floats and may even hold your hand. :D

I would recommend hiring a private charter....not all that expensive...and having someone snorkel with you and provide you with a lesson....

I just used Jester Sailing and Captain Jim was wonderful....On the full day snorkel...he will cook you lunch, provide you with plenty of drinks...with or without alcohol...

It was an amazing day!!! Good luck and have a great time!!!