2 night in Paris Itinerary - advice is appreciated

CruisersfromMD

My husband and I will be visiting Paris for 2 nights in August, on our way back to the states, from a visit to Barcelona and a 7 night Mediterranean cruise. I was in Paris (not my husband) about 25 years ago in the winter, so obviously this is a different time of year. I was unable to go to Giverny on my first first trip, due to the time of year, so we have booked a tour for this visit.

Advice and restaurant recommendations would be appreciated!

- Sunday

2:30 PM - Flight arrives in Paris (Charles De Gaulle) from BCN - get to hotel by 4:15 PM and drop off luggage)

4:30 PM - Take a cab (10 minutes) to Musee Rodin

Visit Musee Rodin - last tickets sold at 5:15 (closes at 5:45)

6:00 PM - 25 minute walk to the Eiffel Tower

7:00 PM - 30 minute walk (cross the Seine) to see the Arc de Triomphe

Evening walk along Champs Elysses (1 hour walk to Latin Quarter)

Night Tour of Paris or Boat ride (do not want dinner cruise) on the Seine (suggestions welcome)

-Monday

7:40 AM - Take a cab from hotel to meet tour to Giverny

8:15 AM – Giverny tour leaves (near Jardin de Tuileries)

1:15 - Return from tour

1:15-3:15 PM - Lunch and walk around Jardin de Tuileries (suggestions welcome)

4:00 PM - Visit the Louvre (get tickets)

6:00 PM – 20 minute walk to Latin Quarter

Dinner in Latin Quarter (suggestions welcome)

- Tuesday

7:50 AM – Short walk to Note Dame

8:00 AM – Visit Notre Dame Cathedral

9:30 AM – Visit Sainte Chapelle

10:30 AM – 20 minute walk to Luxembourg Gardens

10:50 AM – Visit Luxembourg Gardens

11:50 AM – 20 minute walk back to hotel

12:30 PM – Check out of hotel

12:45 PM – Cab to the airport

4:55 PM - Flight back to the states

You seem to know what you want to do and have your visit timed out to the hour. I'm not sure what anyone could add, but I'll give it a shot.

First, you might want to include a Seine River cruise at night, maybe after your dinner. Those provide a nice perspective on the city.

Second, you might want to consider a guide walking tour of the city on Tuesday. Most begin at the Notre Dame and will take you past many of the places you want to see. I have used Sightseekers Delight in the past and my wife and daughter are doing their Paris Along the Seine tour in August (while my son and I do a bike tour).

Two hours in the Louvre is tough. Not sure what you mean by "get tickets". If that means you plan to wait in line, the lines could be long and that museum is sprawling. Maybe your plan is just to see the masterpieces? In any case, the great French Impressionist art is in the Orsay, which is a beautiful museum unto itself and lends itself well to two hour visits.

Have fun.

You seem to know what you want to do and have your visit timed out to the hour. I'm not sure what anyone could add, but I'll give it a shot.

I agree. When I first read the OP's itinerary, I was out of breath! :)

OP: although you have things very planned out, do give yourself a little flexibility to just be spontaneous in the most beautiful city in the world.... :)

But I do understand why you have crammed in as much as you have. (I agree agree with hubofhockey that two hours in the Louvre is very little time; I imagine you'll be scurrying from the Mona Lisa to the other "biggies.")

Paris is amazing, and I am sure you will have a great trip.

A couple of comments.

We're staying in the Latin Quarter for 4 nights this fall, so restaurant suggestions would be gratefully received by us as well. We're into quiet and charming bistros, not fine dining, for the most part.

I had read that the Rodin Museum was going to be closed for most of this year. But now I read that a partial exhibit will still be open. Of course, the gardens will still be open. Ironic, since when I was in Paris in 1970 (!), the Rodin Museum was also closed, and we just got to see the pieces in the gardens.

I agree your itinerary does seem a bit "busy", but I understand about wanting to see Giverny--I'm still on the fence about that myself. Would you mind sharing what tour company you are using?

A couple of comments.

We're staying in the Latin Quarter for 4 nights this fall, so restaurant suggestions would be gratefully received by us as well. We're into quiet and charming bistros, not fine dining, for the most part.

I had read that the Rodin Museum was going to be closed for most of this year. But now I read that a partial exhibit will still be open. Of course, the gardens will still be open. Ironic, since when I was in Paris in 1970 (!), the Rodin Museum was also closed, and we just got to see the pieces in the

gardens.

I agree your itinerary does seem a bit "busy", but I understand about wanting to see Giverny--I'm still on the fence about that myself. Would you mind sharing what tour company you are using?

We'll also be in the Latin Quarter this fall. The Rodin Museum is "partially open" until November.

http://www.musee-rodin.fr/en/museum/musee-rodin-paris

We have not been to Giverny, but very much would like to visit. Given how late in the year it will be, though, I think what we've decided to do is to make a decision once we get to Paris, and if we have a really nice weather day, we'll just take the train (and shuttle bus). It seems pretty do-able on your own. But we may find we don't want to leave Paris at all. (This will be our second time there, and we have lots we want to do, of course! :) )