Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Europe > Mediterranean - Eastern & Western > France Ports

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

France Ports Cannes, Corsica, Marseille, Nice, Sete, St. Tropez, Toulon, Villefranche

Old August 31st, 2010, 07:02 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Toulon (Provence) on your own

Hi there,

Am looking for some information on doing Toulon on my own. I am trying to save some money by not going through the cruise line, as some of their tours are short and VERY expensive.

If anyone can give me some advice/information as to where I should go while visiting and things I should not miss seeing, that would be most helpful.

Also, are their local tour companies or hop on/off tours that can take my through the city so I can get acclimated?

Thanks for the help!

Old September 1st, 2010, 12:02 AM
Cool Cruiser

It would help if you indicated what type of activities you like and when you are going.

Also, chances are your port is really "La Seyne sur Mer" and not Toulon.

Old September 1st, 2010, 09:31 AM
10,000+ Club

When folks ask us about doing "their own thing" (which has become our specialty) we always suggest they first take a look at all the excursion offerings on their cruise (they will be on the cruise line web site) to get an idea of the various options available in a particular region. Your next step is to explore the public transportation options (this is the secret of saving big bucks) or possibly thinking about a rental car. You will find lots of information and advice in the appropriate Cruise Critic port forums. For what its worth we have been traveling internationally for over forty years, been to Europe dozens of times and have very rarely ever taken an organized excursion. In many ports we simply get off the ship and jump on a local bus or train....and we also make very frequent use of rental cars (both on a port day and also on extended European trips). In the case of France, driving is similar to in the USA, the trains are excellent, and the local buses are cheap (often only 1 Euro).

Hank

Old September 5th, 2010, 07:15 PM
Cool Cruiser

And don't forget to browse thru past posts... there are lots of answers to the questions you have - and those you will have -already answered. -