Beach day in Cannes?

cruisingjester

We're considering a beach day in Cannes. First - general question: our next port is Palma Majorca, would that be a better beach day? Better to go to Nice, etc.?

As for specifics - didn't find much in the previous posts. I heard there is a public beach though most of the beaches are private ones owned by resorts...? Is it easy to get the public beach? Does it have restrooms, etc.? Any nearby stores to get water, snacks, etc.?

Thanks in advance!

We tendered into Cannes and the beach was a 10 minute walk. The promenade along the beach was a good place to stroll and people watch. We also walked around town filled with old interesting houses and walked up a hill to a castle with a turret. There was a lot of cafes. You can easily spend an enjoyable day wandering around Cannes.

We're considering a beach day in Cannes. First - general question: our next port is Palma Majorca, would that be a better beach day? Better to go to Nice, etc.?

As for specifics - didn't find much in the previous posts. I heard there is a public beach though most of the beaches are private ones owned by resorts...? Is it easy to get the public beach? Does it have restrooms, etc.? Any nearby stores to get water, snacks, etc.?

Thanks in advance!

There is a LOT of info on Cannes beaches on this board...how to get to them,what chairs,retals,how much,food nearby etc. If you do a search you will find this infromation..it has been posted maany times over.

The best public beach in Cannes is called the Plague du Midi and is located towards your left (just walk along the sea keeping the water on your left) as you leave the tender area. It is an OK sandy beach and there are plenty of decent cafes/restaurants located within a few block (many are opposite the Marina that leads from the tender area into downtown). As to Majorca, the answer is Yes.....it is a superior place for a beach day (when compared to anywhere on the French Riviera).

We will also add some personal advice. Cannes is located in a wonderful region of France and gives cruise ship passengers access to many interesting places such as St Paul de Vence (our personal favorite), Antibes, Nice, Monte Carlo, etc. There is also an excellent transportation system (trains and buses) and the relatively easy availability of rental cars. Majorca, on the other hand, is an island quite famous as a destination for Sun and Sand. While Palma does have some attractions of interest to travelers, we have always seen Majorca as a place one goes to enjoy the beaches and sea. In fact, it is a very popular vacation destination for many Europeans who go there for the sun, sand, good weather, and abundance of hotels/resorts.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

• 2 weeks later...
The best public beach in Cannes is called the Plague du Midi and is located towards your left (just walk along the sea keeping the water on your left) as you leave the tender area. It is an OK sandy beach and there are plenty of decent cafes/restaurants located within a few block (many are opposite the Marina that leads from the tender area into downtown). As to Majorca, the answer is Yes.....it is a superior place for a beach day (when compared to anywhere on the French Riviera).

We will also add some personal advice. Cannes is located in a wonderful region of France and gives cruise ship passengers access to many interesting places such as St Paul de Vence (our personal favorite), Antibes, Nice, Monte Carlo, etc. There is also an excellent transportation system (trains and buses) and the relatively easy availability of rental cars. Majorca, on the other hand, is an island quite famous as a destination for Sun and Sand. While Palma does have some attractions of interest to travelers, we have always seen Majorca as a place one goes to enjoy the beaches and sea. In fact, it is a very popular vacation destination for many Europeans who go there for the sun, sand, good weather, and abundance of hotels/resorts.

Hank

Thank you all for the advice! Yes since posting the original question, it does seem that Palma may be a better beach day, so I've been thinking of exploring the nearby cities while in Cannes. Also I realized that our itinerary is fairly short in Palma Mallorca (arrive at 2; depart 7).

Hank - you have any recommendations for a beach in Palma?

Also, I will look into St Paul de Vence. Nice is a definite possibility; we probably won't venture as far as Monaco.

• 2 years later...
There is a LOT of info on Cannes beaches on this board...how to get to them,what chairs,retals,how much,food nearby etc. If you do a search you will find this infromation..it has been posted maany times over.

Hi Karen

I have seen you post this many times through my search for beaches in Cannes near the cruise port and I am not finding specific info. Can you please paste the link to which thread you are speaking of specifically?

Thanks for your help

Thank you all for the advice! Yes since posting the original question, it does seem that Palma may be a better beach day, so I've been thinking of exploring the nearby cities while in Cannes. Also I realized that our itinerary is fairly short in Palma Mallorca (arrive at 2; depart 7).

Hank - you have any recommendations for a beach in Palma?

Also, I will look into St Paul de Vence. Nice is a definite possibility; we probably won't venture as far as Monaco.

Our favorite beach in Palma is out near the airport side of town,,,,but this is probably not that practical with such a late arrival. I have heard about some beaches that are closer to the port...but we have no personal experience. As to Nice, we (and many others) say that Nice is nice. I like Nice....and I like it a lot. If we are going to spend time in a larger city...we would choose Nice over Monte Carlo...any day of the week. Nice has it all....except for a decent beach :). Some Europeans love the beach in Nice...but where we come from...a beach with rocks and pebbles is not even a beach. But we love visiting the Nice Flower Market (located on the Cours Selaya in the old town area), eating in their many restaurants/cafes....strolling the Promanade, shopping, and even visiting museums. When we have stayed along the coast we either stay in Cannes (because we like the locations and some restaurants in the evening) or in Nice. There is no way we would spend any time in Monte Carlo...although we know that others disagree. DW would say that Monte Carlo is an OK place to visit once....but no reason to ever return.

Hank

Hi Karen

I have seen you post this many times through my search for beaches in Cannes near the cruise port and I am not finding specific info. Can you please paste the link to which thread you are speaking of specifically?

Thanks for your help

I can't find much on cannes beaches either