First cruise and one of party is visually impaired

deb_buffy

Hi,

We have booked to go on a NCL 10 night cruise from NY in November. We are all looking forward to it. We are after hints and tips to make sure my MIL has a great time. She's completely blind, doesn't read braille and has no service dog. This is her first time out of the UK and we usually holiday no problem in this country.

We usually like to do things together and apart. We've spoken with NCL who have been helpful but always good to have info from people who have been there done that.

Thanks in advance

Deb.

• 2 weeks later...

Though neither visually impaired or blind I do know that most cruise lines will provide the following service upon request :

• Early Boarding
  • Embarkation day meeting with a staff member who will see to your accessibility needs during the cruise
  • Ship Orientation tour

BTW my father went blind after he retired and bright lights bothered him at time. Therefore if that's a possible concern than suggest you might speak to the Matre 'D after boarding to make certain the dining table is located in a soft light area yet still workable for those sighted. Also depending on the layout of the dining room you might request a table closer to the front of the dining room to minimize maneuvering through the maze of tables, waiter stations and wait staff.

Additionally suggest you do a search on this forum using the key words, Visually impaired, Blind and read through the posts for tips posted in the past.

Hi Deb_buffy

Come on over to "Cruising with a service dog" on this Disabled Cruise Travel thread here. We are a mixed and happy bunch, some of us with service dogs, some of us puppy walkers - I'm currently puppy walking Aruba, a guide dog for the blind puppy in the UK.

What we have in common, apart from our love of everything "dog" is that we have all cruised and we share information, so maybe If you post over on that thread, there may be someone in your situation who has cruised and can give you some help and advice for onboard the ship and ports you will be visiting.

We will give you a warm welcome! :)

Hi Deb_buffy

Come on over to "Cruising with a service dog" on this Disabled Cruise Travel thread here. We are a mixed and happy bunch, some of us with service dogs, some of us puppy walkers - I'm currently puppy walking Aruba, a guide dog for the blind puppy in the UK.

What we have in common, apart from our love of everything "dog" is that we have all cruised and we share information, so maybe If you post over on that thread, there may be someone in your situation who has cruised and can give you some help and advice for onboard the ship and ports you will be visiting.

We will give you a warm welcome! :)

Here's a link to that thread. Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!