Strictly Come Dancing Cruise for those not interested in dancing ...

Sumdumgi

Looking at the Ventura Cruise on 28 May which is badged as a "Strictly' cruise. Now neither of us have ever watched the TV show nor want too. I know people enjoy dancing and have seen plenty of it on previous cruises and we've been on Ventura twice before. The itinerary and timing suits us and we like the ship - however - How much of a theme will be going on ? Will it impinge on everything else in terms of entertainment, we're not big theatre goers but do pop in to the other venues on board from time to time. Just don't want to be swamped with related activities and events. Any idea ?

Hi, I've never been on a Strictly cruise but I've read a few reviews and it seems like it wouldn't encroach on your holiday. I've read reviews from people who are big Strictly fans and they've said there's not a lot of "Strictly" bits going on. They only come onboard for about 3 days I believe and do a couple of shows/talks so it sounds like you could easily avoid it if you wanted to.

I would say - go for it :)

Hi, I've never been on a Strictly cruise but I've read a few reviews and it seems like it wouldn't encroach on your holiday. I've read reviews from people who are big Strictly fans and they've said there's not a lot of "Strictly" bits going on. They only come onboard for about 3 days I believe and do a couple of shows/talks so it sounds like you could easily avoid it if you wanted to.

I would say - go for it :)

Thanks. I've just been watching a P & O promotional video with one of the judges and was horrified :eek: I'd sort of guessed that the 'stars' were not likely to be on for the whole 2 weeks (or maybe that was a hope :D). I'll have to see if I can find a review or two.We've done some of the ports before, they are worth revisiting and a couple of the others do appeal.

Also looking at the 17 day Arcadia one that leaves on the 30th. We've done all of the ports before but never been on Arcadia. There are a lot of sea days but that's not a problem for us. Decisions, decisions ...

We went on a "strictly" cruise last year on the Azura. Yes there were lots of strictly things - costumes on display in the atrium, a couple of shows in the theatre a question and answer with the dancers and Craig Revell Horwood (worth going to even if you are not a fan as he has a very interesting life!). There were, however, things going on in other venues which were non strictly so plenty to do if you are not a fan.

I had one adamant non strictly person in the family and they found plenty to do.

If the dates and route appeal I wouldn't worry about the strictly theme.

We went on a "strictly" cruise last year on the Azura. Yes there were lots of strictly things - costumes on display in the atrium, a couple of shows in the theatre a question and answer with the dancers and Craig Revell Horwood (worth going to even if you are not a fan as he has a very interesting life!). There were, however, things going on in other venues which were non strictly so plenty to do if you are not a fan.

I had one adamant non strictly person in the family and they found plenty to do.

If the dates and route appeal I wouldn't worry about the strictly theme.

Thanks. That cruise offers some good ports that we haven't done before and we do have a strong preference for the itinerary. The same ports are available on 28 June but I don't want to wait that long ! - of course it will be rather warmer in July which can be a disadvantage whilst out sightseeing.

Speaking from the perspective of a fan of the show, I'd say that they do balance it well onboard. I'd imagine if you didn't want to take in any of the events, then you don't have to. Sure there's plenty of buzz surrounding them - and its promoted well, but its not like it would actually prevent you from enjoying the cruise.

And, even if you've not watched the show, its not like its a necessity to be able to enjoy the pro-dancers show. Just two talented folk demonstrating different dancing styles.

I cant answer for the 'Strictly' cruise but when I did the 'Opera' cruise the themed events were in addition to the regular activities - production shows, singers, quizzes, films, port talks (which were actually interesting and not just a hard sell on excursions!) and because it was a Baltics cruise expert speakers on Russian history and art.

It was superbly organised so the events were staggered, and you could fit in everything you wanted to do, BUT there was plenty to enjoy even if I had gone to none of the Opera events. I genuinely spent all day going from A to B to C to fit everything in.

I would have no hesitation in booking this cruise if you like the date and itinerary, Im sure you'll find lots to do.