Heathrow to Southampton-National Express

kgd

We will be arriving at Heathrow terminal 2 at 6:30 am on a Friday in early October. We have booked the 8:00 am National Express bus to Southampton and now am questioning myself, if there is enough time to catch this bus. We will have to clear customs, pick up the luggage and make our way to the central bus station.

I am now considering also booking tickets for a later bus. Will We have enough time to catch the 8:00 am bus? The next bus is around 9:45am. I am wondering if these buses to Southampton usually sell out. Should I purchase tickets for the 9:45 am bus and be on the safe side or take a chance that should I miss the 8:00am bus, just purchase tickets at the central bus station.

Bill and Denise

You could make the 8am bus, but you only need one hiccup to muck up your plans. Personally, I'd go for the 9.45 so that you have less stress and can have a coffee or something to kill the time and you could always try and get the 8.00 if you have the time. If you are flying in to T2, you will have a good 10 minute walk from the terminal area to the Central Bus station to get the coach anyway. Definately book whichever choice you go for...they fill up quick.

Simon

I would book the later bus. You are in no great hurry to get to Southampton and as said above, any delay will scupper your plan. Of course it is quite normal for overnight flights to arrive early, but you will certainly want to freshen up and have some breakfast before continuing your journey.

Taking your time will make for a much more pleasant start to the day.

Id look to book the next bus. Our friends missed a bus when one of their bags didn't show up. Of course that's a delay not normal.

But rather than having to worry and move fast, take it easy and give yourself the time to aclimate to the airport after that long flight. You won't be boarding your ship when you get there that early anyways.

Simon, Bob, eandj, & I are all singing from the same song-sheet on this one. ;)

Whichever bus you buy tickets for, you can switch to the other provided there is space on the bus.

It's rather touch-and-go for the 8am bus, and even tho' trans-Atlantic overnites west-to-east tend to be early rather than late, it's amazing how time can be lost here and there between touch-down & bus.

So it's safer to book for the 9.45 to guarantee a seat on a bus that you'll definitely make. You'll have the option to switch to the 8am if you're there in time and if there's space.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

Thank you to each and everyone for the wonderful and practical advice. I definitely will book tickets for the later bus. Better to be safe than sorry.

Bill and Denise