Booking Stragey

I booked a cruise that sails Saturday with HAL a year ago for an outside cabin.

A few months ago I was offered an upsell to a window room for a small amount and I took it.

Then I started to get offers for Lanai and Vista cabins.

Even though the cruise showed as sold out I began to get offers at reduced prices for upsells.

Ok, I caved and bought into a Lanai cabin at about $3,000 pp less then the original posted price.

I guess my question is for a future cruise do I just book the Lanai that I want, or should I book something less and hope to get a good price discount at the last minute with an upsell?

I realize I do have much more choice of a specific cabin if I purchase in advance.

I see you asked this on the HAL board. That is the more appropriate location as it really has nothing to do with Europe, rather to do with HAL booking procedures and upgrade possibilities.

This is directly related to the "when is it best to book" questions, which are very common here. There is no answer that fits every booking, because upgrades and upsells are not predictable. Every individual cruise has it's own demand and booking issues, so the number of upgrades and upsells, and the categories involved will be totally different every cruise. So, no one will be able to tell you to always book this way, or that way, and you will definitely get an upgrade or upsell. It is just not possible.

Rather, the common advice is you book the minimum level of cabin you will be happy with. Anything you might get above that is just gravy.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Interesting, HAL seems to offer great deals and discounts closer to the cruise date.

We have never done HAL, since we book early and HAL is always a fair amount higher than either Celebrity or NCL. However, I must admit that I see some of these late deals from HAL are great.

I see you asked this on the HAL board. That is the more appropriate location as it really has nothing to do with Europe, rather to do with HAL booking procedures and upgrade possibilities.

This is directly related to the "when is it best to book" questions, which are very common here. There is no answer that fits every booking, because upgrades and upsells are not predictable. Every individual cruise has it's own demand and booking issues, so the number of upgrades and upsells, and the categories involved will be totally different every cruise. So, no one will be able to tell you to always book this way, or that way, and you will definitely get an upgrade or upsell. It is just not possible.

Rather, the common advice is you book the minimum level of cabin you will be happy with. Anything you might get above that is just gravy.

Sorry, I forgot what board I was reading when I posted this. But your reply and advice is appreciated.