FRA-SJU Choice Air / Transfer question

plucasana

(I posted this on the SanJuan Port-thread page aswell)

we have booked a choice-air flight (condor), that has recently been changed to land at 16.55. Ship (Summit) is to leave San Juan at 20.30.

Unfortunately there are close to NO doable alternatives from germany, so we will have to stick to the flight.

My questions are though:

1) Has anyone had experience with delayed flights and help from the cruise line?

2) airsea (choice air) advises me to book the transfer in addition to the flight. I read on the forum, that a taxi is both cheaper and faster. My question: Would there be any advantages in taking the Celebrity-Transfer?

THanks !

(I posted this on the SanJuan Port-thread page aswell)

we have booked a choice-air flight (condor), that has recently been changed to land at 16.55. Ship (Summit) is to leave San Juan at 20.30.

Unfortunately there are close to NO doable alternatives from germany, so we will have to stick to the flight.

My questions are though:

1) Has anyone had experience with delayed flights and help from the cruise line?

2) airsea (choice air) advises me to book the transfer in addition to the flight. I read on the forum, that a taxi is both cheaper and faster. My question: Would there be any advantages in taking the Celebrity-Transfer?

THanks !

Regarding the transfer, I also recommend the taxi. The taxi is very easy in San Juan, with fixed rates. Just walk out of the baggage claim, go to the taxi kiosk, tell them your destination, they will write up a transit slip with price, and you give that to the taxi driver.

Definitely just get a taxi as explained above. Last year it was approx. $21 to the port , plus $1.00 for each piece of luggage. It's so easy and quick. :)

Can't remember the exact cost of the ship's transfers but I know it was more than the taxi and of course, you sit and wait till the bus fills up.

At SJU airport the taxi fares are clearly posted, and there is a stand with a dispatcher. You don't need to worry about being overcharged or getting an unlicensed taxi. Usually the taxis are passenger vans; standard tip is $1 per average-size piece of luggage and there's plenty of room.

Also be aware there are two SJU cruise docks on opposite sides of the channel. You are probably departing from the Pan American pier near the Convention Center...but definitely verify this and be sure the driver is clear. (The other dock is in Old San Juan and is generally used for ships calling on SJ for the day).

thank you for all your replies! So neither of you sees a benefit in the cruise transfer as far is security or insurance is concerned (if the plane is late)?

No, I don't know of a benefit to cruise line transfers.

thank you for all your replies! So neither of you sees a benefit in the cruise transfer as far is security or insurance is concerned (if the plane is late)?

If your flight is delayed to the point that a taxi won't get you to the port in time, then it's also going to be too late for a cruise-booked transfer to get you there in time. Personally I would never plan to arrive on the day of departure if my flight was a transatlantic one, but to each his own.