SITA bus in naples to pompeii

mono

hi everyone, i will be in naples on may 22nd and would like to go to pompeii. i know there is a train near by and i can get there using tram 1. however, i heard there is a SITA bus near by. do anyone here has taken this bus to pompeii recently?

i went the the sita website but when i search for timeable when i input origin and destination doesnt produce results. also, i contact them but never responded. i would like to know the following

1. does this bus still goes to pompeii

2. does anyone knows the time of frequency?

3. how far from the cruise port?

3. and is this bus wheelchair accessible?

hi everyone, i will be in naples on may 22nd and would like to go to pompeii. i know there is a train near by and i can get there using tram 1. however, i heard there is a SITA bus near by. do anyone here has taken this bus to pompeii recently?

Nope, but I intend to on the 19th May.

1. does this bus still goes to pompeii

2. does anyone knows the time of frequency?

3. how far from the cruise port?

3. and is this bus wheelchair accessible?

1. The timetable says it does

2. The timetable is here http://www.sitasudtrasporti.it/archivio/Download/corse/sitasud/Campania/Salerno/3e424637-38bb-45c2-aa05-eaacaed6379d_5001.pdf/0

3. About 10 minutes walk along the front, you can see it here -

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=naples&hl=en&ll=40.842122,14.257282&spn=0.002374,0.005284&sll=-25.428096,-49.300032&sspn=0.090694,0.169086&hnear=Naples,+Metropolitan+City+of+Naples,+Campania,+Italy&t=m&z=18&layer=c&cbll=40.842091,14.257305&panoid=RBAM9uDq3djRq_-b3ZF2Ug&cbp=12,134.44,,0,10.05

4. Possibly, but possibly not.

The bus is the way to go, you don't want to deal with tram/train crowds first thing in the morning or scam artists. We took the bus back in Oct, was only about 5 of us from our ship on board. We got the tickets from the T shop near the tram stop and then walked back across the street and down toward the bus which is lined up in a big lot with other buses. Just make sure the bus will stop at pompei scavi. Yeah the pic above is exactly where the bus will be. It's a nice ride once you get on the freeway, not so much on the cobbles. The pompei stop is right when the bus exits the freeway and a few min walk to the main entrance up a hill.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/40.746988,14.4834818/40.7481799,14.4819333/@40.7475755,14.4809721,640m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m2!4m1!3e2

There was only 1 front door and I don't recall it being wheelchair accessible. Do you need a lift to move the entire person/chair or just to store the chair? How is that going to work for you at pompei?

It's very easy to take the bus. There's no need to look around for a place to purchase a ticket as there is a ticket office right at the bus depot.

It's one-third of a mile from the cruise port (Molo Angioino) to the SITA bus depot at Immacolatella (on google maps use Piazza Immacolatella as the address and ask for walking directions).

Go go street view for Piazza Immacolaterlla on google maps and spin around until you see a two story brick buidling with a sign that says "Tavassi" over the door. That's the ticket office.

Once at Pompei (the first stop after the bus exits the autostrada) the stop is on Via Plinio, (use these coordinates to make a google map: 40.746924, 14.483812) in front of Camping Spartacus. From there to the Porta Marina entrance to the ruins is two-tenths of a mile.

There was only 1 front door and I don't recall it being wheelchair accessible. Do you need a lift to move the entire person/chair or just to store the chair? How is that going to work for you at pompei?

hi Anthony, thanks for the reply. it will be nice if there is a lift or low floor so that i can take the chair in. the person in wheelchair can stand up with my assistance and go one or two steps with my assistance also. but it is a little difficult considering amount of space you have in the bus. i prefer lift or low flooor at the back of the bus or something. at pompeii , there is a section for wheelchair. no the entire pompeii but at least i get to see some of it.

i would like to thanks everyone who participated on this post. all this is very useful information. i will use this information to find out more about wheelchair accessibility. if anyone else knows something, please let me know. i will appreciate. thanks all

• 4 months later...

Will be there in 2 weeks, appreciate this thread, instead of the train, we will be taking the SITA bus at least one way. Question: the return trip - Pompeii scavi to Naples - would be the exact reverse and obvious? Also we have to buy return tickets at the bus depot and can't buy it on the return bus? TIA

Will be there in 2 weeks, appreciate this thread, instead of the train, we will be taking the SITA bus at least one way. Question: the return trip - Pompeii scavi to Naples - would be the exact reverse and obvious? Also we have to buy return tickets at the bus depot and can't buy it on the return bus? TIA

Taking the bus there is def the way to go. It's closer to the ship, no crowds and early morning pickpockets to deal with on the train. You can get a day pass from the T shop on the way towards the bus and use it on the way back for the bus or train. Are you only visiting Pompeii? You could take the train back and stop at villa poppaea which is a roman villa with amazing frescoes. It's one stop away from Pompeii. You can also stop off at Herculaneum, both are 5-10 min walk from the station. Regarding the bus on the way back, I don't think there is a bus depot just a stop however just get your your return ticket or day pass in advance.

UNICO CAMPANIA U3 daily ticket was €8.40. We used it for the SITA bus to Pompeii, off/on the circumvesuviana train back to Naples, the metro subway to the museum and back to the port area. Its good for everything except the Trenitalia trains. Get the U3 zone since your going to Pompeii.

What ship are you sailing on?

The bus is the way to go, you don't want to deal with tram/train crowds first thing in the morning or scam artists. We took the bus back in Oct, was only about 5 of us from our ship on board. We got the tickets from the T shop near the tram stop and then walked back across the street and down toward the bus which is lined up in a big lot with other buses. Just make sure the bus will stop at pompei scavi. Yeah the pic above is exactly where the bus will be. It's a nice ride once you get on the freeway, not so much on the cobbles. The pompei stop is right when the bus exits the freeway and a few min walk to the main entrance up a hill.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/40.746988,14.4834818/40.7481799,14.4819333/@40.7475755,14.4809721,640m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m2!4m1!3e2

How far is the Sita Pompeii Scavi bus stop from the Pompeii Scavi station?

If it's clear we plan to do a Vesuvius climb trip which apparently starts next to the train station and then visit the Pompeii ruins.

• 4 weeks later...

Update: We never end up taking the SITA bus. Though a cruise terminal staff confirmed the bus station only 350 meters away from cruise terminal, and directed us across street to a magazine stand to buy tickets, the magazine stand guy advised us to take the tram then train rather than SITA bus. The tram station is literally 20 yards away from his stand. While we debated the 2 options a nearly empty tram pulled in and settled the matter for us. We each bought an all purpose transit ticket 3.2 Euro/person (good for 2 hours), RT cost 6.4 euro. I specifically asked about the whole day pass, but the merchant stated that's not offered this year anymore. We took the train to and fro. On the way back, as per Anthony's suggestion, got off at Garibaldi station, used the Metro to visit the Archaeology museum then returned to Terminal via metro.

• 2 weeks later...

We have a separate tour scheduled in the afternoon. DH is a history buff and wants to do the tunnels in Naples. We want to do Pompeii on our own. We're on the Epic in November. Would we be able to get to Pompeii, spend a few hours there, and get back by 1pm. We should be able to be off the ship by 8am.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

If you can't get off until 8 AM your only public transit choice is the Circumvesuviana train.

You can take the #1 tram in the street to the Porta Nolana station and get on there, or you can take the metro to the Garibaldi station and get on there. The reason for going to Porta Nolana is to increase your odds of getting a seat (never guaranteed).

The Circumvesuviana schedule from Naples to Pompei is here: http://www.eavsrl.it/web/sites/default/files/orariautomobilisti/NA-SO%20con%20Poz.pdf

If you are off the ship by 8 you should be able to make the 8:39 train, arriving to Pompei at 9:17.

To get back to Naples by 1 PM you'd need to be on the 12:07 train from Pompei, giving you about two and a half hours on site, a good introduction. The return train schedule is here: http://www.eavsrl.it/web/sites/default/files/orariautomobilisti/SO-NA%20con%20Poz.pdf

On the return get off at the Garibaldi stop (the next to the last) and change to the #1 metro to the museum.

Would you recommend Pompeii over Herculaneum? Or vice versa? Thank you so much for the help on navigating to Pompeii.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Well your husband is a history buff and your going to Naples. If he hasn't been before then you MUST go. Herculaneum is a tad closer and it's nice but on a smaller scale. You don't want to be so close and not visit. Follow the advice given previously and spend the 2.5 hrs there. Make sure your off the ship right at 8 and know where your going.

I couldn't get the earlier posted link to the SITA bus to open on my PC but I found this - is it the same?

Please forgive my ignorance, but is the 'Napoli' station on this timetable the one that is being discussed on this thread, ie the nearest to the cruise port? I'm not sure I'm reading this timetable correctly at all :confused: Could someone give me an example of a morning bus (circa 8am) and a return bus (circa 1pm) from Naples via this table. Or am I totally lost?

That is the correct timetable. There is a bus at 8 AM that arrives to Pompei at 8:45.

It doesn't tell you where on the schedule; the starting point is Piazza Immacolatella.

The Pompei stop is on Via Plinio in front of Camping Spartacus. If you use these coordinates to make a google map you'll see the stop: 40.746831, 14.484073

There is a return buse at 11:15, after that the pick up point is different from the drop off and might be confusing.

Most people who take the bus there in the morning take the train back as it runs more often and offers more flexibility.

That is the correct timetable. There is a bus at 8 AM that arrives to Pompei at 8:45.

It doesn't tell you where on the schedule; the starting point is Piazza Immacolatella.

The Pompei stop is on Via Plinio in front of Camping Spartacus. If you use these coordinates to make a google map you'll see the stop: 40.746831, 14.484073

There is a return buse at 11:15, after that the pick up point is different from the drop off and might be confusing.

Most people who take the bus there in the morning take the train back as it runs more often and offers more flexibility.

Thank you for that :) I couldn't understand why I wasn't able to connect the 'to' and 'from' part of the timetable with the stated place names: that explains it.

Having to take a different mode of transportation on the return journey or find a alternative collection point to the drop off makes the bus a somewhat less attractive option for me.

I wanted to avoid the train altogether and the longer walk/taxi/metro to connect with the ship. Would anyone be able to confirm or elaborate on where the bus picks up passengers for the return journey from Pompeii so that I can identify it on the map?

Back to the drawing board ...