Low vision-almost blind

KJsNana

Hi ladies and gents. My hubby and I are headed out for a few cruises on Carnival Triumph. Currently, my husband is legally blind to the point of almost complete blindness. I am a little concerned so I've come here for some guidance or help. Our last cruise on NCL, the hallways were so narrow that it was impossible for me to guide him and verbally guiding him embarrasses him because he is still having depression due to losing his sight at 53yrs of age (due to diabetes). So, does anyone know if the hallways are easily accessible for me to physically guide him? Are there any other things we need to be concerned about or ask for on the ship? We use the handicapped boarding with wheelchair assistance so he can get on the ship without tripping or falling. I think I saw on Carnival's site about audio versions of the Carnival Times....has anyone utilized this and how was it? I do appreciate any help you all can give and thank you in advance for your replies.

Hi ladies and gents. My hubby and I are headed out for a few cruises on Carnival Triumph. Currently, my husband is legally blind to the point of almost complete blindness. I am a little concerned so I've come here for some guidance or help. Our last cruise on NCL, the hallways were so narrow that it was impossible for me to guide him and verbally guiding him embarrasses him because he is still having depression due to losing his sight at 53yrs of age (due to diabetes). So, does anyone know if the hallways are easily accessible for me to physically guide him? Are there any other things we need to be concerned about or ask for on the ship? We use the handicapped boarding with wheelchair assistance so he can get on the ship without tripping or falling. I think I saw on Carnival's site about audio versions of the Carnival Times....has anyone utilized this and how was it? I do appreciate any help you all can give and thank you in advance for your replies.

You're correct that Carnival's site stated that an audio version of the Carnival Times is available. Following copied directly from Carnival's sites.

Blind/Low Vision

Braille signage is available onboard our ships, indicating cabin numbers and public rooms names. The only Braille format documents available are our in-cabin directories and room service menus.

Large print format is available for our dining room menus, Carnival Fun Times, and shore excursion information.
We can also provide an audible format of our Carnival Fun Times
. Please contact Guest Services once onboard should you require any of these items.

If you need general information about accessibility before you cruise, please email us at
. If you have an ADA complaint, please call us at 1-800-929-6400 or email

Have not been on the ship in question but the hallways on most ships can and do vary in width from deck to deck as well as even on the same deck. In addition to posing your question on the Carnival Forum msuggest you contact Carnival's Special Needs Department and ask if they can provide the wide of the hallway specifically were your cabin is located as that's probably the one you're most concerned about.

Edited by xxoocruiser

Yes, the Carnival forum here will allow answers from those most familiar with those ships.

However, for any ship... you might want to request a cabin that is not far from elevators, to minimize the length of walk to get there.

In many cases, it is the long hallways of cabins that are the most narrow, and that also continue, vs. a narrow doorway or short sections between areas.

But even the most narrow parts on public decks are usually wider than those cabin-deck hallways.

You might want to study the deck plans for the specific ship, to see what cabin location would tend to work best.

Also. consider where you are most likely to want to go. A particular dining room? Bar with music?

If there are one or two places that you are most likely to want to use, try to position your cabin so you are mid-way, rather than, for example at the opposite end of the ship from both.

You've probably already thought through these, but just in case... ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you everyone for your help. We just got back off one and the hallways are much easier to manage than NCL's. I think we are going to try using one of those lightweight transport wheelchairs next time so I can make sure he feels more comfortable and we don't run into people.

Again, thanks so much and happy cruising!!!

• 1 month later...

I know this is too late for your trip, but I strongly encourage you to contact the rehabiliative services for the blind agency in your state. They can assist your husband with some mobility and orientation instruction services, as well as assistive technology. Also, there are many smart phone apps that will read aloud what you take a picture of.

• 4 weeks later...

What WoodsDrive said :)

Have you both been trained in proper guiding?

I have cruised with a totally blind man and his wife many times, and they have no problems at all.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE Baby :D:D Bob and Phyl