Reminder: You can book a Guaranty Rate if you need an Accessible Cabin!

meatloafsfan

Yes, you can.

Celebrity was offering a balcony guarantee rate for my cruise next February. When I checked for accessible cabins, there was 1 accessible balcony left.

I asked for - and received - the guarantee rate for it.

Actually this time, I was bold enough to have a TA do it (last year for our Bermuda cruise, I asked for - and received a guarantee rate for our balcony on Celebrity; I didn't use a TA because I felt unsure about what I was doing). You may need to escalate to a supervisor but mention the words "ADA" and "you must do this due to a resolved lawsuit last year" and doors, er cabins, magically appear.

If they are offering a guarantee rate, and you know there are accessible cabins available, you can ask for that rate. I always say "I don't care which accessible balcony, anyone will do." And they assign the cabin right away (because hey, they only have a couple).

They also had a guaranty rate on oceanviews and several open oceanview cabins. However, some of them were less desirable for us (i.e. very bow of the ship) so I didn't chance it because if I'm willing to take a guarantee then I would have to accept any of those accessible oceanviews.

Saved us a couple hundred dollars over the regular price.

Edited by meatloafsfan

Yes, you can.

Celebrity was offering a balcony guarantee rate for my cruise next February. When I checked for accessible cabins, there was 1 accessible balcony left.

I asked for - and received - the guarantee rate for it.

Actually this time, I was bold enough to have a TA do it (last year for our Bermuda cruise, I asked for - and received a guarantee rate for our balcony on Celebrity; I didn't use a TA because I felt unsure about what I was doing). You may need to escalate to a supervisor but mention the words "ADA" and "you must do this due to a resolved lawsuit last year" and doors, er cabins, magically appear.

If they are offering a guarantee rate, and you know there are accessible cabins available, you can ask for that rate. I always say "I don't care which accessible balcony, anyone will do." And they assign the cabin right away (because hey, they only have a couple).

They also had a guaranty rate on oceanviews and several open oceanview cabins. However, some of them were less desirable for us (i.e. very bow of the ship) so I didn't chance it because if I'm willing to take a guarantee then I would have to accept any of those accessible oceanviews.

Saved us a couple hundred dollars over the regular price.

While using incorrect information to strong-arm a poorly informed and trained customer service rep may be one way to have David conquer Goliath, lets post some facts in case someone else tries this with a different customer service rep and gets nowhere with your arguments.

The "resolved lawsuit" is a DOJ settlement with Carnival Corp, and applies only to it and its subsidiary brands. Since Celebrity is owned by Royal Caribbean, the DOJ settlement has nothing to do with them.

Further, as set forth in Specter v. NCL, the US Supreme Court holds that the internal policies and procedures of the ship are not subject to the ADA.

While using incorrect information to strong-arm a poorly informed and trained customer service rep may be one way to have David conquer Goliath, lets post some facts in case someone else tries this with a different customer service rep and gets nowhere with your arguments.

The "resolved lawsuit" is a DOJ settlement with Carnival Corp, and applies only to it and its subsidiary brands. Since Celebrity is owned by Royal Caribbean, the DOJ settlement has nothing to do with them.

Further, as set forth in Specter v. NCL, the US Supreme Court holds that the internal policies and procedures of the ship are not subject to the ADA.

Chengkp is 100% correct with the information he has provided. It's so frustrating that people fling the 3 letters "ADA" around so carelessly without having a full understanding of how it may or may not apply to cruiseships or anything else for that matter. Such lack of understanding of ADA Law or any other judgenent such as that DOJ setttlement with Carnival and or set forth in Spector v. NCL is the reason that people living with a disability are often criticized by abled body individuals for having a sense of entitlement.

For the record to those that may not be familair with me on this forum Yes I am disabled

Edited by xxoocruiser