Museum of Glass in Seattle

lucywestie

Well, I don't know about 45 minutes; if you're in traffic it's longer, and if you're not it's shorter, but it's still not walkable. :) And I've been there once, and I'm not sure it's worth a cab ride (ack!) or car rental.

However, there is the Seattle Art Museum right downtown, and that is probably nice! :)

Well, if you are a lover of fine art glass, this is a Mecca. I was there in April and it was wonderful, but it is a good 20-30 minute drive SOUTH of Seattle/Tacoma airport (the opposit direction from Seattle). If you want to see it, the best bet would be to rent a car. If you are flying in, you may want to go before you go to Seattle, or before you return home.

http://museumofglass.org/

I guess we are trying to find things to do in Seattle concerning glass. I do a lot of stain glass work at home and Washington State is the home of Spectrum who are one of the leading manufacturers of Stained glass. I know Woodinville is approximately 20 miles NE of Seattle. Where the cruise ships docks are there car rental companies or can you have a company meet you there? Seattle is only a port of call and not a before or end cruise stop and we have 10 hours in port. If we got to Spectrum we would probably be able to ship glass home from there to Canada rather than lugging around a 50lb box of glass! But just wondering how accessible car rentals are from the dock.

Cheers

Pete

According to the Port of Seattle's website, Thrifty has a kiosk at both piers.

Here's a link to the Port of Seattle Webiste. http://www.portofseattle.org/seaport/cruise/parkingandtransportation.shtml

Keep in mind that even though Woodinville is only 20 miles away, traffic here can be heavy and it could take longer to get there depending on day and time of travel.

Hope you have a great time in Seattle!

I don't know anything about the Woodinville place, but driving up north and east of Seattle can be tricky, traffic-wise.

I assume, since you wanted to visit the museum of glass, you're not opposed to Chihuly? If you like his stuff, then I would recommend the museum in Tacoma. In addition, you can visit Union Station (in TACOMA) where you'll see his work in the rotunda area (it's a government building now, but the rotunda is open to visitors). And unless they changed it, the Swiss Tavern, also in the downtown Tacoma area, has some of his work above the bar.

I don't know for sure, but I would take a guess that the glass museum's gift shop would ship things for ya.

And they have their "hot shop" where you can watch those egotistical glassblowers at work! :)

Now as for the museum part, we went when it opened, and the ONLY glass they had on display was a HUGE hunk of sandblasted-looking glass from Chihuly's private collection; all the rest was NOT glass. So that was odd. But their exhibits change often, so I'm sure that's been remedied.

In addition, when you walk across the sky bridge, there is art up there, too!

Archived