Local food near the cruiseship dock San Juan

SMSACE6

Can anyone recommend a decent place to get some local food in San Juan, preferably somewhere that is within easy walking distance from the cruise ship docks?

One of the things I like to do is have lunch in ports of call, and to try local food.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Can anyone recommend a decent place to get some local food in San Juan, preferably somewhere that is within easy walking distance from the cruise ship docks?

One of the things I like to do is have lunch in ports of call, and to try local food.

A favourite is MARMALADE, never had a bad meal!

Thanks to all for the suggestions, and I am writing them down.

Yes I was thinking of lunch, since the ship will be leaving around dinner time, but I do appreciate these recommendations.

I was only once in San Juan ten years ago, and our cruise was to be there from 5pm to 11pm, and we got in late at 7pm, so by the time we got off the ship it was dark and we didnt know where to go, and basically didnt see much, so this time we will be there from 9am to 6pm, and I cant wait to see something of San Juan.:)

Sometimes some of the best food is the street food.... IMHO Old San Juan has a couple of great options. If you are looking for something less fancy but still a local item... There is a food vendor just west of the cruise dock in Old San Juan. Walk west on the water front about 2 blocks just past where you need to cross the street (the end of the smaller docks) there is a square with vendors like leather goods and locally rolled cigars (in fact they are rolling them as you watch) there is a trailer there that sells a sandwich called a tripeleta they are delicious.... it is on a big hoagie style bun and they pile on a combo of stir fried (not sure if that is what they officially call the cooking style.. on a big grill) of Chicken, pork and beef that is cut in small pieces, then they put on sauces... if you get it the way they like to fix it... it comes with ketchup, mustard, mayo, and a cheese sauce. It may not sound like the best mixture but it kind of blends together like a Puerto Rican BBQ sauce. They are worth the $7 they cost... they are big so you might even share. There is also tables around where you can sit and eat and watch people. One of the best places in the world.

Edited by Dirkgun

Carol & I walked to a restaurant called the Cafe Berlin and got mufongo and mojitos that were both excellant. We found it as we walked back from San Cristibol. It was about four(?) blocks up from the pier area and was across the street from a plaza area. On the way back to the Valor, there was also an area with several restaurants that served people in a large courtyard seating area. Don't really know what it was called, but it also looked interesting.

Sometimes some of the best food is the street food.... IMHO Old San Juan has a couple of great options. If you are looking for something less fancy but still a local item... There is a food vendor just west of the cruise dock in Old San Juan. Walk west on the water front about 2 blocks just past where you need to cross the street (the end of the smaller docks) there is a square with vendors like leather goods and locally rolled cigars (in fact they are rolling them as you watch) there is a trailer there that sells a sandwich called a tripeleta they are delicious.... it is on a big hoagie style bun and they pile on a combo of stir fried (not sure if that is what they officially call the cooking style.. on a big grill) of Chicken, pork and beef that is cut in small pieces, then they put on sauces... if you get it the way they like to fix it... it comes with ketchup, mustard, mayo, and a cheese sauce. It may not sound like the best mixture but it kind of blends together like a Puerto Rican BBQ sauce. They are worth the $7 they cost... they are big so you might even share. There is also tables around where you can sit and eat and watch people. One of the best places in the world.

I love street food! Thank you for this info. When we were there last time, as I say, it was late and I followed my group, and have no idea where we walked but we got empanadas from a street vendor, and they were fantastic! I will look for this area when I am there, thanks again.

Carol & I walked to a restaurant called the Cafe Berlin and got mufongo and mojitos that were both excellant. We found it as we walked back from San Cristibol. It was about four(?) blocks up from the pier area and was across the street from a plaza area. On the way back to the Valor, there was also an area with several restaurants that served people in a large courtyard seating area. Don't really know what it was called, but it also looked interesting.

Thank you for your suggestion, I am still writing all of them down, so, as my cruise date nears, and I actually get there, I can decide where I am going.

I love Berlin, so the name is already appealing:)

It is funny how you sometimes find these wonderful places by happenstance while on vacation. I remember years ago while in Barbados, in Bridgetown, we were famished and found this little sandwich shop. The sandwiches were soooooo good. We went there many years in a row, and in subsequent visits could not remember the name, or find the place.

Edited by SMSACE6

Another place for good, authentic local food is Cafe Manolin. But be advised that it's one of the locals favorite places for lunch, especially those who work in OSJ so between 12-1:30pm it's usually pretty busy. Same with another great restaurant called Barrachina. All within 5-7 minute walks from the pier. raices is a good place but presentation is very touristy. Not really how we locals eat. Punto de Vista is across from the ship and while food is generally good for those who are not accustomed to local fare, they are more like a "bar food" kindda place, but still good for bar food.

• 2 months later...
Another place for good, authentic local food is Cafe Manolin. But be advised that it's one of the locals favorite places for lunch, especially those who work in OSJ so between 12-1:30pm it's usually pretty busy. Same with another great restaurant called Barrachina. All within 5-7 minute walks from the pier. raices is a good place but presentation is very touristy. Not really how we locals eat. Punto de Vista is across from the ship and while food is generally good for those who are not accustomed to local fare, they are more like a "bar food" kindda place, but still good for bar food.

As a local, do you have any opinions on these places? They are on a list I've been gathering.

Cafe el Punto for mofongo

Siglo XX for paella

Old Harbor Brewery for local beers

Thanks!

just down from Racines there is a local restaurant called Mojitos. Their Mojito snapper with red beans and rice are my favorite. But this is local, they do no speak lot of English and the service is laidback...Make sure you order the Mojito and eat inside, not on the street.

Nothing fancy or touristy and it is always full of locals

This may be a silly question but besides mofongo, what exactly is Puerto Rican food? I was reading the posts here about the delicious sandwiches, but what else would be considered "Puerto Rican food"? :confused: I want to be sure to try it and more than just mofongo when I'm there!!! :D

Punta Vista right across from the pier is very good. We actually had a pre-cruise meet and greet there before the Valor cruise. I highly recommend the nachos with beef and chicken. The small is more than enough for two hungry adults.

Sent from my Samsung Note 2 using Forums mobile app.

This may be a silly question but besides mofongo, what exactly is Puerto Rican food? I was reading the posts here about the delicious sandwiches, but what else would be considered "Puerto Rican food"? :confused: I want to be sure to try it and more than just mofongo when I'm there!!! :D

Puerto Rican Food is Spanish food made with Puerto Rican Flare by a Puerto Rican, My Grandmother uses different spices then my brother in laws Colombian mom, but the meal is still Rice and Beans with Chicken.

• 4 months later...

I will be in OSJ in January I watched man vs food also other shows. I want the real deal local spot where the family can say we had a taste of OSJ. I mean the closest thing from being in someone's grandmom's house. Also street food with something different then what I can eat here.