Jerk Chicken/Pork in Montego Bay

chrisnatca

Sailing on the Breeze in August. One of our stops is Montego Bay. I love jerk chicken and pork, at least the American version of it. So I'm wanting to have some good authentic jerk while we're in Montego Bay.

I would love to try Scotchie's, but I'm not sure I'll have time. We'll all be doing the Dunn's River excursion. With it being so far away from the boat, I'm not sure there will be enough time to get to Scotchie's.

So, can anyone recommend a place, preferably within walking distance from the port, that serves really good, authentic jerk, cooked over pimento wood?

I don't think there's anything walking distance of the port but if you catch the hop on/hop off bus to the Hip Strip there is a great place called The Pork Pit. Scotchies would be my first choice but they are a close second.

Sailing on the Breeze in August. One of our stops is Montego Bay. I love jerk chicken and pork, at least the American version of it. So I'm wanting to have some good authentic jerk while we're in Montego Bay.

I would love to try Scotchie's, but I'm not sure I'll have time. We'll all be doing the Dunn's River excursion. With it being so far away from the boat, I'm not sure there will be enough time to get to Scotchie's.

So, can anyone recommend a place, preferably within walking distance from the port, that serves really good, authentic jerk, cooked over pimento wood?

Omg. There's nothing like eating authentic jerk meat in paradise. Do come back and tell us all about it. I love jerk chicken (and pork too!).

I did a Carnival excursion the last time I was in Jamaica, and they served authentic jerk meat on a private beach. It was really good. It was all you could eat and drink. Don't rule out doing an excursion that includes food to get your jerk fix.

We did a private tour when we went to Jamaica and were docked in Falmouth (on NCL). I also asked where to get good, authentic jerk chicken and we were taken to an extremely busy roadside restaurant. Food was served wrapped in aluminum foil and the Red Stripe was about $1 a bottle! It was wonderful.

It certainly wasn't walking distance from Montego Bay. it was the other side of Rose Hall from there, so maybe a little too far for you, but worth seeking out if anyone else is looking for a really good jerk experience!! ;)

The Pork Pit is just outside of the Hip Strip in MoBay. All the cab drivers know how to get there, no problem, mon!

• 3 weeks later...

From what I've read, and that has been years of research, Scotchies is the ONLY place near MB that still cooks jerk the original way, over pimento wood. The Pork Pit may be good, but if I'm already going the distance to MB, I want the real thing. Scotchies, its gotta be!