Cab fare in Quebec City

ambelina

We are trying to figure out the amount of Canadian currency we will need for our upcoming cruise to Canada/New England. Does anyone know if the cabs in Quebec City (from the airport to Old Town) take credit cards or only cash? Thanks!

Flat rate of C$34.25 and can be paid by credit card (at least every cab I've been in had no problem accepting cards; Taxi Coop Quebec states Visa/MC/Amex and Interac are acceptable payment methods, but there are other companies I haven't used which I can't confirm 100% will take them).

Play it safe by asking the cabbie before you get in. If they don't have a working CC machine, simply state you don't have cash, say sorry - you're in Canada after all;) - and get in the next cab.

Flat rate of C$34.25 and can be paid by credit card (at least every cab I've been in had no problem accepting cards; Taxi Coop Quebec states Visa/MC/Amex and Interac are acceptable payment methods, but there are other companies I haven't used which I can't confirm 100% will take them).

Play it safe by asking the cabbie before you get in. If they don't have a working CC machine, simply state you don't have cash, say sorry - you're in Canada after all;) - and get in the next cab.

Thanks for your reply and we will check before entering the cab. This helps with our planning and we won't have to exchange as much money.:)

We got cash from an ATM in the Montreal Airport, anticipating that we'd get some souvenirs in Quebec. Our cabbie shocked us by telling us before we got into the cab that he expected $50 even though the fare was $35 because the previous customer gave a generous tip and the drivers allegedly get only a small fraction of the fare. I had $40 in hand and said that's how much I was prepared to pay. He offered to let us use the credit card to pay, and I made it clear that $40 cash was what we would pay. I'm open to feedback from locals or other travelers, if a $15 tip is customary? I've never experienced that before, and we didn't have excess baggage or any other unusual situation to warrant a huge tip.

We got cash from an ATM in the Montreal Airport, anticipating that we'd get some souvenirs in Quebec. Our cabbie shocked us by telling us before we got into the cab that he expected $50 even though the fare was $35 because the previous customer gave a generous tip and the drivers allegedly get only a small fraction of the fare. I had $40 in hand and said that's how much I was prepared to pay. He offered to let us use the credit card to pay, and I made it clear that $40 cash was what we would pay. I'm open to feedback from locals or other travelers, if a $15 tip is customary? I've never experienced that before, and we didn't have excess baggage or any other unusual situation to warrant a huge tip.

Sounds like a rip off to me

I would have just walked away

If he told you the usual fare was $35 then that is all he should get

I will be watching out for that cabby next year;)

Lyn

Edited by LHT28

That is not the usual cabbie! I would have told him to take off and waited for another cab. Sorry you had that experience, it leaves a bad impression of Canada:mad:

At many Canadian airports or train stations there's a manager directing cabs and passengers. Next time, report the rotter.

Ruth