Fly into FLL, Embark POM - our 2nd time - quick review

irishgal1970

Hi all. We just got off at POM yesterday, and I wanted to let you all know how our hotel and transport went.

Friday, 1/29 - flew from CLE to FLL

• Arrived FLL on 1/29 about a quarter to three.
  • Shuttle from Terminal 4 to Car Rental Bldg - no problems
  • Picked up a Ford Focus from Budget - lovely new car - cost about $65
  • Drove to Courtyard Miami West - no traffic - amazed at there being only two speeds in FL - 40mph and 90 mph. Lovely drive.
  • Checked in - no hassles. Room clean, and more than enough room for one night. Nice sized bathroom.
  • Headed toward Fontblaineau/Doral area in search of Target, because we forgot a few items. Found a plaza at 10001 W Flagler St that had a Target, Ulta, TJ Maxx, and Ross Dress for Less. We decided that next time we won't carry our toiletries with us, but will hit Target together and end up bringing/spending less.
  • Had dinner at a nearby Carrabba's. Not really my style, but my sister likes their food. Food was good. Place was crowded. Service was fair.
  • Back to hotel for a good night's rest.

Saturday, 1/30 - Embarkation Day

• Next morning headed to Budget's location on SE 2nd St in Miami.
  • Took about two minutes to return the car and about 20 minutes to wait to board the shuttle.
  • The driver asked which ships we were going to and dropped each party off at each ship's designated area. He also explained where to find him on the return.

Cruising, cruising...

Saturday, 2/6 - Disembarkation Day

• Decided there was no way we could pack in time for the luggage service, so we were up til 2am packing and carried our own bags off.
  • Arrived back to POM around 7-ish. So tired that we missed breakfast. We disembarked around 8:45am.
  • So glad we carried off our bags. We were through Border Protection/Customs and outside the terminal by 9:10am.
  • BTW, we carried in excess cigarettes (deal on board) and had no problem. We declared it and were not questioned or charged any duty.
  • 10 minute wait for the shuttle back to Budget
  • About a 30 minute wait to pick up our car. They didn't have the compact that I ordered for $60, so they upgraded (lol) us to a Kia Soul. Hated the car. Nevertheless, it got us where we needed to go and was clean.
  • Drove to FLL via the A1A. Stopped at IHOP for breakfast, because there was no parking near any of the cuter little bistros. We drove the A1A on a suggestion from someone waiting at Budget. I will do it again, but will research eateries before we go. Didn't think to use the Yelp app on my phone - we were very tired.
  • Very easy return at Budget at FLL.

Would rent a car again. FLL vs MIA will depend on fares. Hotel was good. Would stay there again if it suited our plans.

Edited by irishgal1970

• 1 month later...