what to take on North Cape cruise

Booked this for August, and just not sure what to take. I have never sailed out of Southampton on a cruise and not sure if I could handle 2 cases, but think I could end up filling 2! I keep looking at sweatshirts, warm jumpers and even a duck down coat. Is this over the top. Any feedback on a North Cape cruise would be appreciated, including destination info.

Sweby

Booked this for August, and just not sure what to take. I have never sailed out of Southampton on a cruise and not sure if I could handle 2 cases, but think I could end up filling 2! I keep looking at sweatshirts, warm jumpers and even a duck down coat. Is this over the top. Any feedback on a North Cape cruise would be appreciated, including destination info.

Sweby

Layers! Anything from crops and tops to sweatshirts, fleeces and windproofs! We had weatherproof gear, hats, gloves and scarves on at the North Cape one day and were sitting out in the Botanical gardens in Tromso in 30C the next! Bit like down here on the S Coast!

Here are a couple of links to previous reviews of the North Cape - not quite sure of your itinerary but I guess most of the ports will be the same.

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1674888&highlight=north+cape

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1569510&highlight=north+cape

Hope they help. It is a great itinerary with amazing scenery and sailing out of Southampton is very interesting too. Worth being out on deck. Enjoy! :)

We did this in 2009 and it was pleasantly warm in Leknes, Tromso and Alta. Weather was poorer at the North Cape and we went to the visitor centre in dense fog. Take some fleeces, gloves and a hat together with a light raincoat. Windy if I recall so no point with an umbrella.

We did this in 2009 and it was pleasantly warm in Leknes, Tromso and Alta. Weather was poorer at the North Cape and we went to the visitor centre in dense fog. Take some fleeces, gloves and a hat together with a light raincoat. Windy if I recall so no point with an umbrella.

That was the trip we were on too! If we hadn't known where to look for th iconic sculpture at the North Cape - we'd have missed it! :D Next day in Tromso was glorious!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the tips. I am currently watching the forecast for different parts of the itinerary. I seem to have a lot of luggage, my other half is worried not sure about evening wear either, I have some dresses for formal nights but am worried I will feel cold. Does anyone else take more than one case a piece on these North cape type holidays? I know we aren't stopped. From taking extra cases weight wise I am wondering if we need soft cases, apparently they will go under the bed. still got to get good waterproof and fleece, and lots of surgeon. Oh dear what have I done!

Sweby

I did the north cape may this year and it was in the 20's in the artic circle

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Wow, that's amazing. I can only hope for similar weather. How many cases did U take.

Sweby

We took 1 each and carried our formal stuff in suit carriers but we were on Thomson so not as much formal gear needed. I packed coats and jumpers as well!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Archived