Snorkeling with reef sharks

redraidersrule

It's possible you might run into one or two. They are fairly common in Belize waters. But since they tend to shy away from people unless they get fed. Nurse sharks on the other hand, are nocturnal and tend to sleep on the bottom during the day, so they are more likely to be encountered by snorkelers when they are in shallow water. Best bet is to ask the guide service.

Do any companies offer snorkeling with reef sharks? Almost everything I see goes to Shark/Ray Alley which has only nurse sharks. I want Caribbean reef sharks or black tip reef sharks. Anyone know any companies that you can snorkel to see them? I cant do diving. Thanks.

I've never seen a snorkel trip in the Caribbean advertise meeting up with reef sharks. Maybe ask a diving company to accommodate you as a snorkeler instead?

If you are ever in Bora Bora French Polynesia, there's several snorkel tours there where you hang on a rope with your snorkel in the water as a guide throws tuna chunks into the lagoon water and sting rays and reef sharks zoom in to capture the food. That's about as close as I want to come to feeding 5 or 6' reef sharks, about 8 to 10 ft away.

I've never seen a snorkel trip in the Caribbean advertise meeting up with reef sharks. Maybe ask a diving company to accommodate you as a snorkeler instead?

If you are ever in Bora Bora French Polynesia, there's several snorkel tours there where you hang on a rope with your snorkel in the water as a guide throws tuna chunks into the lagoon water and sting rays and reef sharks zoom in to capture the food. That's about as close as I want to come to feeding 5 or 6' reef sharks, about 8 to 10 ft away.

Hey Bob, I'm on your cruise Nov 8th, saw you in the roll call. I joined late. Actually Bora Bora is where I have previously swam with reef sharks and it was amazing. So awesome I want to do it again haha. And it was just open water swimming that time, we didn't have a rope. :eek: they weren't feeding them at that time though. The Sharks came to within about 5 feet of us, it was awesome.