Change booking or stay as is....

ZandZ

OK I realize I might be having a first world problem, but I ask your advice anyway, in hopes of getting some insight from experienced cruisers, and experienced cruisers with kids is a plus. Also, this is my first thread so I hope I'm following all rules. :)

I have 3 cruises booked as per my signature. Up until now we have always cruised without the kids. All upcoming are booked with the kids. The August cruise is a 4 day intro for the kids with an itinerary we have done before. This is important to me as one of the kids is on the autism spectrum and knowing what's to come will help me prep him and handle any fallout. The cruise falls between the two kids' birthdays and is a present for them as well.

The second was booked a while ago at what I believe is a great price of 2,317+ 175obc.

I booked the third this past weekend and it wasn't planned. I was able to convince our best friends to come too so this one will be wonderful for the kids and the adults. Also a great price considering the kids have the week off.

So now is my question.. 3 cruises in 7 months is a big deal for us. Considering the total cost we can pull it off so that's not a major concern. I am being somewhat selfish and thinking of dropping the kids from the second sailing. I love them dearly but also need my time off from them. Also because I've never cruised with them I am not really sure what to expect, and what to expect specifically for my older child. He is manageable but has social issues so I doubt he will be happy attending the kid's activities. This means that he will mostly hang out with us, which is fine, of course, but for me this means I cannot really relax the way I would if he was enjoying time with his grandparents. Please don't judge, everyone need a break every once in a while. If i wait until after the August cruise to see how he does I will definitely be re-booking the November cruise at a much higher price.

In addition, their grandparents are in Florida and they value the time they can spend with the kids while we cruise, so I am getting some backlash from them for taking the kids on all 3 trips.

My choice is to re-book this trip at today's cost, which will still be less than what I am paying for 4 ppl but not such a good deal considering the cost per person, or leave as is and decide almost last minute if the kids are staying or going. I would obviously still be paying for 4 ppl, but would still save on all the extras the kids are bound to do like video games etc. Wonder if I will be charged gratuities for two or four people in the case?

I also read this morning the RCI is going to have a new sale next week.

Like I said, sorry if this post seems frivolous, but maybe need to talk it out with "cruising" people... Thanks!

As a parent I do not see any problem dropping them from the middle cruise. You will have a short cruise to see how they do and then later they can enjoy one the one with friends. It is good to have adult time and the grandparents being in FL the kids will have a lot of fun there too. It's a win win you get alone time, grandparents get to spoil the kids a bit, and the kids have fun either way! I say go for it.

I wouldn't count on their "sale" actually being a "sale." The decision on whether to take the kids or not is going to be a decision you need to make. No one is going to know your situation better than you.

Yes, I agree, thank you for your response.. I am also thinking their upcoming promo might be the one geared at 3rd and 4th guests, the opposite of what I want to do :) The decision is def mine and not an easy one, Im just wondering what makes more sense financially. Also my TA tells me he could re-book at about $100 more what we are paying now for 4 for us 2 with a balcony... I'm not sure if it's worth it, would have to look at categories to determine.

As a parent I do not see any problem dropping them from the middle cruise. You will have a short cruise to see how they do and then later they can enjoy one the one with friends. It is good to have adult time and the grandparents being in FL the kids will have a lot of fun there too. It's a win win you get alone time, grandparents get to spoil the kids a bit, and the kids have fun either way! I say go for it.

Thank you.. And yes, I guess I also needed a parent to tell me that it's ok to do that :) It's one thing to decide from the beginning and another to change my mind later, lol.

Ultimately I think I will keep the booking as is with the assumption that the kids will stay with my Mom.