LL Bean

firsttime50

The distance from the cruise ship dock to the LL Bean store is about 17.0 miles and I'm not aware of any public transportation the serves Freeport on a scheduled basis. Options would be an excursion offered by the cruise ship, car rental, taxi or a group rental of a shuttle bus & driver.

SBtS

• 1 month later...

Sailbadthecruiser is right. I'd call Enterprise and have a car meet you ay the dock. Drive up Route 1 (well, 295 to Route 1) Get off 295 in Yarmouth. A ton of outlets and restaurants. LL Bean is the main attraction there. About a half hour at most to get there from the dock. Or, just take the tour from ship. Might be easier in the long run. If you have a car, you can also see Portland Head Light.

Right next to where the dock is, eat at Gilberts for the best clam chowder and lobster rolls (looks like a hole in the wall but is clean and cheap and the food is amazing. Or DiMillo's, 2 min. walk from Gilberts, for great fried clams. Do a search of Portland restaurants if you are a foodie. We are known to have the best restaurants in Maine and New England. Tons of great upscale restaurants. These two I just mentioned are reasonable and very casual. There is Walters, Emilista, Bresca, Fore St., and so on. All within walking distance. And, don't miss shopping on Exchange St. Again, easy walking, great boutiques.

• 2 weeks later...
How far is it from the dock in Portland to get to LL Bean in Freeport? What is the best/cheapest way to get there?

So there is an excursion on the cruise for this....but what is the big deal.....We have an LL Bean here...am I missing something.??

IMO all you're missing is a bigger store with more stuff. There's a full selection that you can poke through and touch or try on. If you have a store near you, you can order whatever you like through the catalog and return it locally. There are a lot of outlet stores nearby and the area can get really crazy with traffic, plus Maine has a 7+% sales tax. Unless you're a shopaholic, I'd try to find an excursion that is more unique to the area.

Unfortunately I'm not the best person to give that advice. I do know that if I were on a cruise, I'd do almost anything other than outlet shop. LL Bean isn't even really an outlet - it's a big fancy store that sells pretty much at retail.

Unfortunately I'm not the best person to give that advice. I do know that if I were on a cruise, I'd do almost anything other than outlet shop. LL Bean isn't even really an outlet - it's a big fancy store that sells pretty much at retail.

That's the truth. I never go to that store. It really is made for summer folk. Most of the real outdoors stuff is used for decoration:(. Kittery trading post is 100 times better, but not close enough for Portland to make it to off the ship.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for that info...anything you think worth doing???

Try the Foodie tour -- you get to shop in all the "tasting' spots -- and learn about the unique stores you are passing -- a fun tour. Vicki:)

Archived