Thomson Dream - Tangier

Does anyone have any recommendations for visiting Tangier?

Stay on board - or do a ship excursion to some surrounding attraction.

Tangier itself is the worst port of call we've experienced on foot.

If you decide to go DIY you'll be pestered persistently by local punters trying to sell you this, that or the next thing.

Some hang around the port entrance and attempt to become your self appointed tour guide - and you have to be absolutely blunt and forcibly tell them to "go away" in plain language.

Apologies for being so negative - other opinions may differ- we had a bad experience there, cut our walkabout short and returned to the ship.

Edited by WeeCountyMan

I went on the ship's tour to the Caves of Hercules, Cap Spartel (where the Med meets the Atlantic) and the Kasba. It was a good way to see the area and I enjoyed it.

We got pestered in the Kasba even as a tour group, so I was glad to be part of the tour. It's not somewhere I'd personally do on my own if I went back again.

Edited by GaryT-UK

Blondbubbles - there was a special Morocco talk given in the theatre by the Destination Services staff a couple of days before docking in Tangier that was very informative about clothing, etiquette etc. I would recommend that you go to this.

Stay on board - or do a ship excursion to some surrounding attraction. Tangier itself is the worst port of call we've experienced on foot. If you decide to go DIY you'll be pestered persistently by local punters trying to sell you this, that or the next thing. Some hang around the port entrance and attempt to become your self appointed tour guide - and you have to be absolutely blunt and forcibly tell them to "go away" in plain language. Apologies for being so negative - other opinions may differ- we had a bad experience there, cut our walkabout short and returned to the ship.

Our experience was exactly the same WeeCountyMan! Tangier is the one port we would not go ashore at on future cruises.

We always do DIY tours but this is one port I would recommend a Thomson tour. We flew from Gibraltar a few years ago for a day trip to Tangier. We had a guided tour and were pestered the whole time. We then had time on our own and were followed by some scruffy characters. We ended up going to the hotel to meet our bus a couple of hours early and just sat there. We arrived back in Gib with a feeling of relief.

I would recommend ships trips here as well......we have done the Caves of Hercules, Cap Spartel, Casbah, etc. which was an excellent overview of the area....we have also done the trip to Asilah (the artists village) which we loved....a beautiful place on the Atlantic coast. :)

I would recommend ships trips here as well......we have done the Caves of Hercules, Cap Spartel, Casbah, etc. which was an excellent overview of the area....we have also done the trip to Asilah (the artists village) which we loved....a beautiful place on the Atlantic coast. :)

Thanks for the advice!