Antiqua Beaches

Idmom

Hello Everyone! We are heading out in March and would like to know what are some of the best beaches in Antiqua to visit.. We would like to snorkel, but for the most part just lay around and swim..

Thanks...

I also am interested in any Antigua information.

Op, if you find your post has disappeared, then it has/will likely be moved to the port of call board, under the Caribbean and then Antigua board.

Thanks for asking, and I will keep checking the port of call board for any info on Antigua and especially beaches , which is what I hope to enjoy.:)

We just got back from an 8 nighter on Carn. Freedom. We were at Antigua from 8- 6 and had a great time. Sail-in was on of the best we've ever seen as there are beautiful cliffs with some cute tiny beaches on the starboard side. Even a small waterfall so make sure you are up on the deck for sail-in and sail-away as this is one of the better ones. We don't take ship excursions. About 1/2 the time we take an independent excursion and 1/2 the time we just do something ourselves. At Antigua we walked a very easy 5 to 10 min. to the bus station and got on bus #22, which we took to Darkwood Beach for $1.50 a person. Just a note that they wait until the bus is full (about 20 people) before they leave and we waited for about 20 minutes. It was great people watching as the bus station is right next to the market so we didn't mind the wait. It was about a 15 - 20 minute ride. Darkwood Beach was just beautiful and there is only one restaurant/concession and we rented 2 chairs for $5 each. You can put them in the sun or in the shade so no worries about that. Changing rooms and bathrooms are there also. Nice little restaurant that had very reasonable drinks and food prices. Swimming was nice even though it wasn't an ideal weather day and we got in the water twice. Antigua beaches aren't real good to snorkel off of (better to do off of a boat or just wait til a different island) but there was some reef a short swim out. I love to snorkel, but we were also at St. Thomas and Tortola on this trip and both are better for the snorkeling so this was just a beach day. We spent about 5 hours there. One of the things we liked best was the incredible view we had of Montserrat and Mt. Soufriere (which is an active volcano) which had steam spewing out of it. Waited for the bus less than 10 minutes when we decided to leave and the charge was again $1.50 per person, and that is U.S. dollars. Before we got back on the ship we got a roti at Roti King and we loved it. If you never had one go for it, it was great. Hope this helps.

We just got back from an 8 nighter on Carn. Freedom. We were at Antigua from 8- 6 and had a great time. Sail-in was on of the best we've ever seen as there are beautiful cliffs with some cute tiny beaches on the starboard side. Even a small waterfall so make sure you are up on the deck for sail-in and sail-away as this is one of the better ones. We don't take ship excursions. About 1/2 the time we take an independent excursion and 1/2 the time we just do something ourselves. At Antigua we walked a very easy 5 to 10 min. to the bus station and got on bus #22, which we took to Darkwood Beach for $1.50 a person. Just a note that they wait until the bus is full (about 20 people) before they leave and we waited for about 20 minutes. It was great people watching as the bus station is right next to the market so we didn't mind the wait. It was about a 15 - 20 minute ride. Darkwood Beach was just beautiful and there is only one restaurant/concession and we rented 2 chairs for $5 each. You can put them in the sun or in the shade so no worries about that. Changing rooms and bathrooms are there also. Nice little restaurant that had very reasonable drinks and food prices. Swimming was nice even though it wasn't an ideal weather day and we got in the water twice. Antigua beaches aren't real good to snorkel off of (better to do off of a boat or just wait til a different island) but there was some reef a short swim out. I love to snorkel, but we were also at St. Thomas and Tortola on this trip and both are better for the snorkeling so this was just a beach day. We spent about 5 hours there. One of the things we liked best was the incredible view we had of Montserrat and Mt. Soufriere (which is an active volcano) which had steam spewing out of it. Waited for the bus less than 10 minutes when we decided to leave and the charge was again $1.50 per person, and that is U.S. dollars. Before we got back on the ship we got a roti at Roti King and we loved it. If you never had one go for it, it was great. Hope this helps.

Thank you so much for the heads up, I will be there in two weeks on the same cruise.

I second the Darkwood Beach recommendation. We also took the bus to Darkwood. Having travelled all over the Caribbean, I have to say that the beach was one of those picture perfect white sand beaches and the colour of the water was incredible. It is a relatively quiet beach and great for swimming.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Would it be passable to go by bus first to the Nilson's Dockyard than to Darkwood Beach all by bus and later back to the ship again. I looked at the streets on Google i think it should be no problem if busses drive there??? Is that right????

• 1 month later...

Thanks for this information. I will be following your itinerary in August. Can you tell me where the Roti King is so that we can partake in this as well. Thank you.

• 2 months later...
...and what is a Roti??? Thanks!

It is something I have found in many caribbean islands, especially the southern most islands, like Barbados and St Lucia etc. I hope that I can describe it properly. It is a flat bread, similar to a tortilla, but thicker and also slightly flakier consistency. It is usually filled with either a vegetable, chicken, pork or beef filling, which is spiced with curry or similar mixture of spices. They are soooo delicious! I am going to Antigua in Nov and have already put Roti King on my to do list:)

PS, you can google roti, and should get some photos of it, plus a better description than mine.

Edited by SMSACE6

• 2 years later...
...and what is a Roti??? Thanks!

My description of a roti is an Indian stew in naan bread. The first time I ever tasted it was in Soufriere in Saint Lucia at the waterfront, at the recommendation of a friend. Unless you dislike the taste of curry it's defintiely something to try.

I'm definitely putting this on our potential to do list for our stop in Antiqua in November. She and her partner will be with me and I know they'll be willing to check it out.