Guide dogs and Canada

cjborne2

Hello all. It has been a very long time since I've posted on these boards. I have a dog question although it is not cruise specific.

My husband may be travelling for work with his Seeing Eye dog, Ollie within the next month from the US into Canada. What papers will he need to get the dog through customs? I am guessing rabies certification but not sure what else he might need. We cruised into the Bahamas 2 years ago and I know there were some hoops to jump through for that trip.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Hello all. It has been a very long time since I've posted on these boards. I have a dog question although it is not cruise specific.

My husband may be travelling for work with his Seeing Eye dog, Ollie within the next month from the US into Canada. What papers will he need to get the dog through customs? I am guessing rabies certification but not sure what else he might need. We cruised into the Bahamas 2 years ago and I know there were some hoops to jump through for that trip.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Don't understand why you didn't just google your question and go to a reliable government source instead. Hope this information helps you.

http://www.consular.canada.usembassy.gov/enter_canada.asp

I did google it and all I came across was guide dog schools in Canada. Thank you for the link. The folks on here were very helpful when we cruised a few years ago and I thought I'd get a friendly response from experienced travelers.

The link had several ...'s that cut off the info I needed. In case anyone else needs it, the number for the Canadian consulate is: 202-682-1770. If traveling into Newfoundland call 709-576-6899. Newfoundland is not our destination but the rules to bring dogs in is different. Not sure if the rules are different for service dogs or not.

Here are relevant regulations from the Canada Food Inspection Agency which has jurisdiction over animal importation in Canada. As long as the dog is accompanying your husband, he needn't require anything.

Scott.

source: http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/anima/heasan/pol/ie-2002-3e.shtml

2. Domestic dogs

Note: Pet dogs imported from any country are not subject to post-import quarantine in Canada.

Note: A dog that is less than three months of age at the time of import does not require rabies vaccination or certification that the dog is being imported from a country designated as free from rabies under section 7 of the Regulations (Rabies-free country).

(1) Dogs eight months of age or older from a country designated as free from rabies under section 7 of the Regulations (Rabies-free country) may enter Canada if:

1. the dog is accompanied by a certificate of a veterinarian that clearly identifies the dog and shows that:

1. rabies has not existed in that country for the six-month period immediately preceding the shipment of the dog; and
    2. the dog has been in that country for the six-month period referred to in subparagraph (i), or since birth; or

[*]the dog originated from Canada and is being returned directly from a country designated by the Minister as having been free from rabies for not less than six months, and the dog is accompanied by the certificate set out in paragraph (a). This includes dogs coming out of a quarantine imposed by the exporting country before the quarantine period is completed; or

[*]the dog is accompanied by a valid rabies vaccination certificate issued in either English or French by a licenced veterinarian from the country of origin, which clearly identifies the dog and shows that the dog is currently vaccinated against rabies; or

[*]the dog has a Rabies Neutralising Antibody Titre Test (RNATT) resulting in a titre of at least 0.5 IU/ml, taken at least 30 days after any prior rabies vaccination. The animal must be properly identified on the laboratory report and the lab report must accompany the animal; or

[*]the dog does the dog does not meet the requirements of paragraphs (a), (b) or ©, and

1. an inspector orders the person importing the dog to:

[*]the person complies with the order.

(2) Dogs eight months of age or older from a country that is not designated as free from rabies under section 7 of the Regulations (Rabies-free country) may enter Canada if:

1. the dog is accompanied by a valid rabies vaccination certificate issued in either English or French by a licenced veterinarian from the country of origin, which clearly identifies the dog and shows that the dog is currently vaccinated against rabies; or
    2. the dog has a Rabies Neutralising Antibody Titre Test (RNATT) resulting in a titre of at least 0.5 IU/ml, taken at least three to four weeks after any prior rabies vaccination. The animal must be properly identified on the laboratory report and the lab report must accompany the animal; or
    3. the dog does not meet the requirements of paragraphs (a) and
    4. an inspector orders the person importing the dog to:

[*]the person complies with the order.

(3) Pet dogs less than eight months of age that are accompanied by the owner may enter Canada from:

1. a country designated as free from rabies under section 7 of the Regulations (Rabies-free country) if the dog meets the requirements for rabies certification or vaccination as set out in paragraph (a), (b), ©, (d) or (e) of subsection (1); or
      2. a country that is not designated as free from rabies under section 7 of the Regulations if the dog meets the requirements for rabies vaccination as set out in paragraph (a), (b) or © of subsection (2).

(4) Pet dogs less than eight months of age that are not accompanied by the owner may enter Canada from any country if:

1. for a dog from a country designated as free from rabies under section 7 of the Regulations (Rabies-free country), the dog meets the requirements for rabies certification or vaccination as set out in paragraph (a), (b), ©, (d) or (e) of subsection (1); or
      2. for a dog from a country that is not designated as free from rabies under section 7 of the Regulations, the dog meets the requirements for rabies vaccination as set out in paragraph (a), (b) or © of subsection (2); and
      3. the dog is accompanied by a certificate of a veterinarian that bears the signature of the veterinarian and the name of the veterinarian recorded legibly in the veterinarian’s handwriting, and that clearly identifies the dog and states:
      4. that the veterinarian has examined the dog and is satisfied that the dog:
      5. is not less than eight weeks of age at the time of examination;
      6. is free from any clinical evidence of disease;
      7. was vaccinated, not earlier than at six weeks of age, for distemper, hepatitis, parvovirus and parainfluenza virus; and
      8. can be transported to Canada without undue suffering by reason of infirmity, illness, injury, fatigue or any other cause;

[*]the dog is imported into Canada not more than 72 hours after the time of the examination referred to in subparagraph © (i).

(5) A dog less than eight months of age may enter Canada on a temporary basis, for competition in a show or trial, if:

1. at the time of importation, the importer provides an inspector with proof that the dog is entered in a show or trial organized by a recognized association; and
        2. for a dog from a country designated as free from rabies under section 7 of the Regulations (Rabies-free country), the dog meets the requirements for rabies certification or vaccination as set out in paragraph (a), (b), © or (d) or (e) of subsection (1); or
        3. for a dog from a country that is not designated as free from rabies under section 7 of the Regulations, the dog meets the requirements for rabies vaccination as set out in paragraph (a), (b) or © of subsection (2);

(6) An assistance dog that is imported as a guide, hearing, or other service dog is not subject to any restrictions for import where the person importing the assistance dog is the user of the dog and accompanies the dog to Canada.

(7) This section does not apply to commercial dogs less than eight (8) months old which may only be imported in accordance with Paragraph 12.(1)(a) of the Regulations.

5. the date on which the dog was vaccinated, the trade name and serial number of the vaccine referred to in clause ©,and that the vaccine used was licenced by the country of origin of the dog; and
    6. the date and time of the examination referred to in subparagraph
    7. recorded legibly in the veterinarian’s handwriting; and

have the dog vaccinated against rabies within a period of time specified in the order at the owner’s expense and
present the vaccination certificate to an inspector; and

have the dog vaccinated against rabies within a period of time specified in the order at the owner’s expense and
present the vaccination certificate to an inspector; and

No International Health Certificate needed between Canada and the US. Current shots are needed. Bring the paperwork in case you are asked. I travel back and forth all the time with my guide dog between Canada and the US.:p

Bring the rabies certificate just in case; that should be of no trouble since you should already have it.

Import requirements

Dogs may enter Canada if they are accompanied by:

•a rabies vaccination certificate.

The rabies vaccination certificate must:

•be written in English or French;

•be issued and signed by a licensed veterinarian;

•identify the animal (as in breed, colour, and weight);

•state that the animal is vaccinated against rabies;

•indicate the date of vaccination;

•indicate the trade name and the serial number of the licensed vaccine; and

•specify the duration of immunity (otherwise, it will be considered valid for one year from the date of vaccination).

Additional Information

Canada does not require a waiting period between the time the animal is vaccinated for rabies and the time the animal is imported into Canada.

If the dog does not meet the import requirements relating to rabies certification, owners will be required, at their own expense, to do the following:

•have the animal vaccinated against rabies within a specified period of time; and

•provide the vaccination record to a Canadian Food Inspection Agency office.

Additional information

Assistance dogs are exempt from import requirements when the person who is assigned to the dog accompanies it to Canada. This includes dogs certified as vision or hearing dogs.

The province of Ontario does not permit pit bulls to enter the province. For information on Ontario's pit bull ban, visit the Ontario Ministry of the Attorney General website.

Other provincial or municipal legislation may also apply. Please check with local authorities before you import a dog.

Dogs may require additional documentation when flying. Please check with your airline to determine whether you meet its requirements.

Those quotes are from Canada's site: http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/anima/imp/petani/canine.shtml

No International Health Certificate needed between Canada and the US. Current shots are needed. Bring the paperwork in case you are asked. I travel back and forth all the time with my guide dog between Canada and the US.:p

Is this also true if we are flying into Vancouver and getting on a cruise ship? The only reason I'm asking is because when we were at the USDA office the last time, getting the health cert. signed for our cruise, we were telling them about wanting to take an Alaska cruise out of Vancouver. They told us all we would need would be the international health cert.

Is this also true if we are flying into Vancouver and getting on a cruise ship? The only reason I'm asking is because when we were at the USDA office the last time, getting the health cert. signed for our cruise, we were telling them about wanting to take an Alaska cruise out of Vancouver. They told us all we would need would be the international health cert.

Ah, a little different because airlines, a country change and a cruise are involved. You will need to fax all the dog's paperwork, including shots and a health certificate completed by your vet to the cruise line ahead of time. You will also need to carry the originals, as the port authority in Vancouver will take off copies. When you get on the ship, the front office will contact you, as it wants copies too for the various port authorities at your stops.

You may want to check with your airline as to what it requires in the way of paperwork for the dog to travel with you.

The health certificate completed by your vet may need to be completed within a certain period of time before travel. For example, I am going to Hawaii on a cruise ship the beginning of October. Hawaii USA requires the health certificate to be completed within 30 days. But, I have encountered US airport custom folks who said it required the health certificate to be completed within 10 days. Because of this, I always carry the regulations for the country I am entering. If I encounter people who don't know the regs are different between a pet and a guide dog, I have the docs with me, and the relevant parts highlighted in yellow. Hope this helps.:p

Please get the International Health Cert. It has everything that any Immigration officer from any country will ever need to see. It shows all immunizations and current health, etc., etc.

There's nothing worse than traveling with your Service Dog and being overly questioned by an over zealous officer. Whereas if you have this certificate it leaves no doubt about you or the dog.

And, my Vet ALWAYS states on the Certificate that my dog is a Liscensed/Certified Service Dog.

Archived