Suggestions for excursions in Victoria BC

You may care to consider CVs Cruise Victoria who offer excellent tours in Victoria but it does require taking the shuttle from the port to across the street from the Empress Hotel at a cost of $11 pp. Just a couple of thoughts, Cragdarroch Castle is not a castle but a large mansion and IMO not worth the investment of time and money....the other would be if you are in port only for a limited time in the evening you may need to take a ship's tour to the Gardens in order to return on a timely basis. If you are in port for the day then the Gardens are quite reachable by transit ....if that is the case come back and myself or another poster will give you directions.

Have to agree with Putt - Cragdarroch is not worth the hype that surrounds it. It's a lovely old mansion but not a castle and I wouldn't waste precious time in Victoria by going to see it.

How WOULD you spend your precious time in Victoria, then? I'm very open to suggestions! :D

(Family of 6--kids aged 10-23--maybe not that keen on seeing Butchart Gardens...)

Your younger children might enjoy Miniature World. The whole family might enjoy a ride on the Victoria Harbour Ferry or perhaps a horse drawn carriage ride. Below is a link to "things to do in Victoria".

http://www.miniatureworld.com/

http://www.victoriaharbourferry.com/

http://www.tallyhotours.com/

https://www.victoriacarriage.com/

http://www.tourismvictoria.com/things-to-do/

There is plenty to see and do in Victoria for all ages! Lots of wonderful shops to explore, great places to grab a bite to eat if you just feel like wandering around downtown/inner harbour. Some great suggestions by Putterdude, the horse carriages are a fun way to tour but are pricey. Miniature world is pretty neat actually! If you are into spending some money you could take a whale watch tour. Butchart Gardens is also wonderful, and we enjoyed the Butterfly gardens just down the road.

How WOULD you spend your precious time in Victoria, then? I'm very open to suggestions! :D

(Family of 6--kids aged 10-23--maybe not that keen on seeing Butchart Gardens...)

Since you're on the Pearl which unfortunately has not just a short stop, but a short evening stop, check opening hours of any potential attraction - unless it's at least 7 or 8pm, you likely won't get off the the ship in time to visit. On the really good news front - the Royal BC Museum is open until 10pm Fri/Sat evenings, so since you visit on a Saturday you're golden. The best description of the RBCM I can give is that it's like the best small-town museum ever - the kind of place that has a little bit of everything rather than being specialized in a particular field.

Unless your family absolutely hate anything historic, they will definitely find at least some of the exhibits interesting and worth a couple of hours - and if you do have some history-haters, the IMAX at the museum is showing Avengers: Age of Ultron in 3D at 8pm on Sat 25th, the day your cruise is in town. Program ends at 10:21pm even if you sit right through until the end of the credits (do, there's a bonus scene) giving ample time to head back to the ship before departure.

Aside from that, PDs link to Tourism Victoria is the best suggestion I'd also make, since personally if I'm in Victoria of an evening pretty much the only thing I do is drink beer! If any of your kids are in the 19<21 niche, I wager they'd really like to do likewise and can, legally, in Victoria. The 10 year old... maybe not so much;-)

If you would like to see an amazing gallery, right on the inner harbour where all the happening is happening, go to batemancentre.org and get an idea of the treat awaiting you.

Open 10am to 5 pm, or on Fri and Sat from May to Sept from 10 am-9 pm it will

Introduce you to one of Canada's premier wildlife artists and conservationalists.. Robert Bateman. He lives nearby on Saltspring Island, and at 85 years of age has an amazing background in many art forms. The gallery follows his work from his sketch books as a 12 year old, through the intermediate years of Impressionism and travel to his current work as an advocate for Planet earth and children's involvement in nature on a day to day basis,as well as ongoing wildlife paintings from around the world.

Entry is 12.50 or 8.50 for seniors, and there is a nice eatery and gift shop on site too. If you are already a fan enjoy the immersion in his work and history, and if you have yet toseehis work be prepared for an awesome adventure. He has received dozens of awards, citations, honorary degrees and even the Order of Canada for his art and his concern with our planet. Enjoy this chance to expand your world.

Edited by muffin