Brisbane Hotels/Things to Do

PINEY10

We will be staying overnight in Brisbane (getting off the ship in Cairns to spend a couple of days in GBR and then flying to Brisbane to catch up). We will need a hotel to stay at. I understand the cruise ship terminal is a little out of the way at a further location whereas many of the nice hotels appear to be along the river. I think we would prefer to stay closer in town along the river. Any suggestions of those along the river? Are there any nice hotels near the cruise ship terminal?

Following this thought, I also would be interested in any "not to be missed" activities we should do in Brisbane. I am welcome to any and all suggestions.

Thank you.

We will be staying overnight in Brisbane (getting off the ship in Cairns to spend a couple of days in GBR and then flying to Brisbane to catch up). We will need a hotel to stay at. I understand the cruise ship terminal is a little out of the way at a further location whereas many of the nice hotels appear to be along the river. I think we would prefer to stay closer in town along the river. Any suggestions of those along the river? Are there any nice hotels near the cruise ship terminal?

Following this thought, I also would be interested in any "not to be missed" activities we should do in Brisbane. I am welcome to any and all suggestions.

Thank you.

Cruise ships use two different cruise ship terminals, in Brisbane.

I assume you will be rejoining your ship in Brisbane. Which ship/cruise ship terminal?

I just bought the mystery deal hotel on wotif for the night before our cruise starting from Brisbane next week - the hotel turned out to be the Traders Hotel very close to the train station on Roma Street; for $159 I'm very happy - my original reservation that I cancelled that I've held for more than six months was for much more than this.

We're transiting using the train now and since kids are free this has worked out nice and cheap too.

There is no easy public transport out to Fishermans Island ... You'll have to get a taxi out to there. So you can pretty much stay anywhere in Brisbane City and it will cost the same to get to the ship. If you have a day to explore Brisbane, I'd suggest staying at South Brisbane - it is the suburb across the river from the city and has lots of things to check out. The museum, the two art galleries and 'South Bank', which is the man-made beach area in the heart of the city, is all in South Brisbane. There is also the Wheel of Brisbane there and, if you are interested on checking out the city via the river, you can jump on a City Cat (the city's ferry system) and ride it up and down the river for the price of a ticket (I think it costs about $5). The good thing about staying at South Brisbane is there are two train stations there (so you can catch the train from the airport) and heaps of dining options ... It is the place Brisbane-ites go out for dinner.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

I would 2nd southbank area. Abseiling, segways kayaking also available at cost.

We have stayed at Ryan's on the River. Small hotel not a chain one. Nothing flash but well priced and owner operators :)

The river cat /ferry has differnt rates, dearer now hey have introduced go card system :(. I think they still offer off peak fares.

I hope you enjoy your time in Aus!

Fisherman's Island is basically the freight terminal near the mouth of the river (You wouldn't stay here). If you haven't done the "Koala thing" Lone Pine is the place to go either by ferry or bus from the city. Nice view of city from Mt Cootha. Botanic gardens etc. Maybe a day trip to the Gold Coast.

Unlike Hamilton ruise Terminal, which is easily reached by City Cat ferry, fisherman's wharf is indeed a fair way out, on the "wrong" side of the river. A taxi fare might be fairly pricey, however if you had the time, you could catch a train on the Cleveland Line to a nearby station [perhaps a knowledgable Brisbander could suggest the nearest] and catch a cab from there.

Unlike Hamilton ruise Terminal, which is easily reached by City Cat ferry, fisherman's wharf is indeed a fair way out, on the "wrong" side of the river. A taxi fare might be fairly pricey, however if you had the time, you could catch a train on the Cleveland Line to a nearby station [perhaps a knowledgable Brisbander could suggest the nearest] and catch a cab from there.

Won't tout myself as a knowledgable Brisbander but here is the public transport link:

http://mobile.jp.translink.com.au/travel-information/journey-planner

:)