Help! Canada/New England--which ports??

alishac

We are planning a Canada & New England cruise for next fall, and while many of the itineraries are similar, a few of the ports vary and I don't know which to go with. These are the ports that are not consistent with each cruise:

Quebec City

Sydney

Newport, RI

Portland, Maine

Does anyone have input on which of these is not to be missed, or which would be okay to pass up? All of our options include a stop in Bar Harbor, Maine, so is it worth it to also see Portland? I'm not familiar with any of these ports, so any input on what makes them good or not so good would be appreciated! :) Thanks!

Somel cruises start/end in Quebec. You can either do one week northbound or one week southbound or combine both for a 14 day cruise. Of all the ports that most Canada/NE cruises call at, I would want to include Newport. The only disadvantage is that it is a "take the tender" port, but worth that inconvenience.

Somel cruises start/end in Quebec. You can either do one week northbound or one week southbound or combine both for a 14 day cruise. Of all the ports that most Canada/NE cruises call at, I would want to include Newport. The only disadvantage is that it is a "take the tender" port, but worth that inconvenience.

So is Bar Harbor. I agree with you but I don't consider it a disadvantage.

SBtS

We are planning a Canada & New England cruise for next fall, and while many of the itineraries are similar, a few of the ports vary and I don't know which to go with. These are the ports that are not consistent with each cruise:

Quebec City

Sydney

Newport, RI

Portland, Maine

Does anyone have input on which of these is not to be missed, or which would be okay to pass up? All of our options include a stop in Bar Harbor, Maine, so is it worth it to also see Portland? I'm not familiar with any of these ports, so any input on what makes them good or not so good would be appreciated! :) Thanks!

Quebec City is one I have not had the pleasure to visit, but would like to one day

Sydney I would have liked to have skipped. I enjoyed Portalnd a great deal both times, but I would not call it a must see. Newport is known for the great mansions you can tour, which is very enjoyable it you like that sort of thing. Again not a must see.

Ships? Price? take a look at those factors.

Quebec city is spectacular and I think a not to miss! Portland is great, but I liked the small town feel of Bar Harbour better if given a choice. I loved Newport and think that is another do not miss! We loved the cliff walk! I could take or leave Sydney, but found Halifax to be great if you have that as an option. My all time fave is Charlottetown though, I think that is the ultimate do not miss on the Canada/NE itineraries (other than the departure ports).

Wow, this gives me lots to think about. Sounds like Quebec City, Bar Harbor, and Newport are the favorites--which makes it difficult, because not all are offered on each cruise. Here are the itineraries we're looking at:

NCL Gem: New York, Halifax, Saint John, Bar Harbor, Boston, Newport, new York.

NCL Dawn: Quebec City (depart and one additional day), Sydney, Halifax, Saint John, Bar Harbor, Boston.

RCI Brilliance of the Seas: Boston, Halifax, Saint John, Bar Harbor, Portland, Boston

Royal Princess: New York, Newport, Boston, Bar Harbor, Saint John, Halifax, New York. (Just realized this is same itinerary as NCL Gem, but reversed)

I'd really like to try the new Princess ship, but itinerary is the most important factor for this cruise. Thoughts? And thanks everyone for your help!

With any of the cruises that start or end in Boston, you could add a day and rent a car to drive to Newport on your own. It is only 1.5 hours from Boston by car. We have done it frequently as a day trip.

And I suppose the same for Portland, which is only a 2 hour drive from Boston, with lots of historic and picturesque towns and beaches to stop along the coast between them that you might not cover from the ship.

We just got back off the Glory, visiting some of these cities.

#1, if I had a choice, I would skip Sydney. If you do not rent a car or do some sort of tour to get out of town, this place is really nothing special. Really don't know why they don't do PEI instead.

We stopped at Portland, but we have been to Bar Harbor several times and there is no comparison, Bar Harbor has it all over Portland, and it isn't even close. Portland is OK, Bar Harbor is spectacular.

We also have been to Newport many times, and that should never be missed. Just a great city with so much to do, and fairly inexpensively.

We have never been to Quebec City, but it is on the Bucket List.

I didn't see Halifax on your list, but that also is a wonderful city to explore. both in the city and out.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Len

Wow, this gives me lots to think about. Sounds like Quebec City, Bar Harbor, and Newport are the favorites--which makes it difficult, because not all are offered on each cruise. Here are the itineraries we're looking at:

RCI Brilliance of the Seas: Boston, Halifax, Saint John, Bar Harbor, Portland, Boston

We did the Cananda/New England cruise out of Bayonne, NJ a few years ago w/ the same ports you are listing for the Brilliance of the Seas. In Boston we toured the city on the Old Town Trolley. Got to see lots of Boston & had the options of getting off the trolley & catching another one at our leisure. LOVED Halifax...we rented vans (there were 11 of us) and drove over to Peggy's Cove & took our time enjoying the light house. Sadly it rained the day we were in Saint John, but we walked around the market & enjoyed the beautiful Architecture there. In Bar Harbor we took a tour over to Acadia National Park. MAGNIFICENT!!!! I could spend much more time there & hope to go back some time. IF it's cold, make sure you take gloves & a scarf with you. We couldn't find any to buy in the area. Walk around the town if you have time & most definitely eat a Lobster Roll. I suggest Stewman's. If you like light houses you should take a lighthouse tour in Portland. My favorite one is the Portland Headlight. LLBean is also in Portland & not too bad of a hike from where the ship docks. Lots of shopping opportunities right at the dock as well.

I hope this helps your decision. Enjoy your cruise.

LLBean is also in Portland & not too bad of a hike from where the ship docks. .

There is no LL Bean's in Portland, Maine any longer. The mothership is 18 miles north in Freeport, Maine. (The only other LL Beans in Maine are outlets further north in Bangor and Ellsworth.)

I am very interested to know your "don't miss" places in Charlottetown. We will be there in a few weeks, and planned to stay in the town rather than taking a tour or renting a car to get out in the countryside. We will do that in several other ports, and hoped to have an interesting day just walking around Charlottetown on our own. Have already read on Canada port site, and tom's port guide, but would love to get your opinion. So many times cruisers come across special places.

Any and all suggestions appreciated!:)

• 2 weeks later...

I am partial to Newport - there is a great thread on this board about it, and can ask many questions. Living 30 minutes from there, we go often and love it. The waterfront, mansions, FT Adams, sailing, restaurants, shopping, churches, etc. are all beautiful and well worth the visit.

Archived