What Camera for Scenery and Indoor Shots?

Kalinda

I currently have a Panasonic TZ30 (think this may be called the DMC-ZS20 in some places). I have been quite happy with the pictures that I have taken on holiday with it, but inside in low light, and also for night shots I feel it could be a little better. Probably a bit of user error on my part as well as I tend to use it in iA or Scene mode most of the time as I'm not sure of how to use all the stuff on it.

I was thinking maybe of upgrading to maybe either the Panasonic FZ70 or FZ200? I like the idea of the large zoom on the FZ70. Would these be too much of a learning curve? Do they take a better picture than my current TZ30 (DMC-ZS20) if I was to leave them in iA or Scene mode?

Any help or advice would be appreciated. I like taking lots of pictures of Scenery when we go on holidays and also take quite a few indoor shots of family/friends as well.

I was thinking maybe of upgrading to maybe either the Panasonic FZ70 or FZ200? I like the idea of the large zoom on the FZ70. Would these be too much of a learning curve? Do they take a better picture than my current TZ30 (DMC-ZS20) if I was to leave them in iA or Scene mode?

The FZ200 has a 2.8 lens constant throughout its zoom range but the FZ70 has a bigger zoom - both wide angle and at the top but the zoom does not have a consistent lens opening. Both would take great shots in either iA and Scene mode.

I would opt for the FZ200 for its lens.

I have to confess that while I have both a FZ200 and a LX7 and been a Panasonic user for years, I usually lug my Sony NEX on cruises!

Think the Sony Nex are the best, but you need to buy a lens or two.

I have had great luck with the Panasonic FZ200, check it out here on cruise critic photo & camera discussions.

I have the Sony RX10, which is my camera for indoor pics on a cruise.

You can also check review and get some good camera info at

DPREVIEW.Com

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1694983

Tom :cool:

The FZ200 has a 2.8 lens constant throughout its zoom range but the FZ70 has a bigger zoom - both wide angle and at the top but the zoom does not have a consistent lens opening. Both would take great shots in either iA and Scene mode.

I would opt for the FZ200 for its lens.

I have to confess that while I have both a FZ200 and a LX7 and been a Panasonic user for years, I usually lug my Sony NEX on cruises!

Thanks for the reply. Does the 2.8 lens make alot of difference? I guess I'm drawn by the huge zoom on the FZ70

Think the Sony Nex are the best, but you need to buy a lens or two.

I have had great luck with the Panasonic FZ200, check it out here on cruise critic photo & camera discussions.

I have the Sony RX10, which is my camera for indoor pics on a cruise.

You can also check review and get some good camera info at

DPREVIEW.Com

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1694983

Wow Tom, you have some amazing pictures that you have taken with the FZ200. I'm guessing though that these shots have not been taken using iA or any of the normal Scene modes. I really don't know how to do very much with all the other buttons on the cameras, so I do tend to rely on iA quite a bit.

I noticed in the other thread that you also have the compact ZS30 which is the model up from the camera that I have. I guess the FZ200 is a huge step up?? Still drawn towards the large zoom of the FZ70, but after seeing your pics with the FZ200 now I'm not sure :)

Edited by Kalinda

Now at the age of 71 have changed from DLSR to fix lens camera's.

Also most all pictures I take are aperture priority or auto.

Use the following cameras. Except for the last one, all are called bridge cameras, about the size of a DLSR but fixed lens. Just some ideas to look at. It's like shopping for a car, alot of options. lol

Sony RX10 24-200mm 2.8 use for low light general carry around.

Panasonic fZ200 24-600mm 2.8 outdoor and when I need the zoom range.

Canon SX50 24-1200 long range use for outdoor and widlife, love the range.

Sony HX50V 24-720mm Taken great pictues use for my pocket camera.

Kalinda: I have the FZ70 & I am impressed with it. I had the older 18x Panasonic. I looked at both but went with the longer zoom. I don't know if you know where the Embassy Suites on 17th st is in Ft Lauderdale or not. We were there in January before a cruise & the Liberty of the Seas was leaving port & I zoomed out to the ship & got pictures of people on the ship & then zoomed to the rear of the ship & was able to pull in the sign for the Flow rider & it is very clear. I am looking forward to taking it on our Alaskan cruise in May. Alfred

Now at the age of 71 have changed from DLSR to fix lens camera's.

Also most all pictures I take are aperture priority or auto.

Use the following cameras. Except for the last one, all are called bridge cameras, about the size of a DLSR but fixed lens. Just some ideas to look at. It's like shopping for a car, alot of options. lol

Sony RX10 24-200mm 2.8 use for low light general carry around.

Panasonic fZ200 24-600mm 2.8 outdoor and when I need the zoom range.

Canon SX50 24-1200 long range use for outdoor and widlife, love the range.

Sony HX50V 24-720mm Taken great pictues use for my pocket camera.

Hi Tom,

Thanks for that. I guess there may be hope for me yet to get a good picture using some of the Auto modes. Think I still have a lot of reading to do before I decide.

Kalinda: I have the FZ70 & I am impressed with it. I had the older 18x Panasonic. I looked at both but went with the longer zoom. I don't know if you know where the Embassy Suites on 17th st is in Ft Lauderdale or not. We were there in January before a cruise & the Liberty of the Seas was leaving port & I zoomed out to the ship & got pictures of people on the ship & then zoomed to the rear of the ship & was able to pull in the sign for the Flow rider & it is very clear. I am looking forward to taking it on our Alaskan cruise in May. Alfred

Hi Alfred,

I am from Australia, so don't know exactly where the Embassy Suites are, but will soon as we are staying there in September prior to boarding Allure of the Seas for our back to back cruises :)

Trying to decide now what camera to get so that I can get to practice with it well before we go. You sound happy with your choice of the FZ70. Do you change settings to get good pics or just go with Auto modes?

Karen

I have been using IA but the zoom is available on the scene modes as well although I haven't used them. If you want to see some of the pictures e-mail me at alfred.jane@shaw.ca. I also have some sunset ones & night ones. Alfred

Hi Alfred,

Thank you for your lovely offer. I have just sent you an email.

Karen :)

Thanks for the reply. Does the 2.8 lens make alot of difference? I guess I'm drawn by the huge zoom on the FZ70

The two things to remember for indoor (low light) performance are larger sensor and faster (larger aperture/smaller f number) lens. It's still pretty difficult, and expensive, to get a really good zoom range and a fixed aperture lens, so yes, if you're really looking at indoor photography, an f/2.8 fixed lens will make a lot of difference. The tradeoff is zoom range.

If your primary requirement is scenery and indoor, you do not need a camera with a super-zoom.

The P330 also employs photo-stacking for improved low light performance.

Something like a Nikon P330 might suit you better. It has a fast f/1.8 lens, a 1/1.7" sensor - which is 40% larger than most all compact and bridge cameras - including the Panasonic FZ70 and Z200.

Bridge cameras generally use small sensors due to those super-zoom lenses; otherwise the lenses would have to be physically much larger (and expensive). There may be one or two exceptions (I think I recall seeing a 1/1.7" sensor bridge camera once), but the normal rule is small sensors with bridge cameras.

Larger sensors typically mean better low-light performance and improved dynamic range... however, admittedly even with a 40% larger sensor on cameras such as the P330; vs. the typical compact and bridge camera - this advantage, by itself is not huge. But added to the fast lens and image stacking, they combine for good low-light performance.

For comparison, a f/1.8 lens will let in over twice the light as a f/2.8 lens would, and 10 times more light than at f/5.9.

The P330's low light performance can arguably rival even entry level DSLRs of just a few years ago. I have used ISO3200 on my P330 without too much noise issues. Yes, there is some background noise especially in the dark areas, but you just about have to pixel-peep to see it.

Here is a photo I took at night with the P330 showing the low-light capability:

http://www.althephoto.com/cameras/p330.php

It has a 5x zoom lens, but for indoor and landscape, that is all you need.

Best of all - it is priced at $199. A year ago, when first introduced, it was about double that, but this camera has just been discontinued for the P340 - which is why it is so inexpensive. However, it seems to me there is only cosmetic differences between the P330 and P340, so you can save a ton of money by buying the P330.

At $199, I would not look for these cameras to last long. While you may have your heart set on a different camera, you should at least look at this camera before making your decision.

Edited by awboater