LeHavre Port DIY?

tidygirl

We are looking at cruises and 1 of them include a stop here. Of course being this would be our first time we would like to see the EIFFEL TOWER. My problem is how do we get there? Ships transportation is almost $110 pp and I will be paying for 6 adults from what I understand the ship won't leave with out us.

What other options would we have train? Idea on cost? Any tour companies that would be more reasonably priced?

Thanks for any help!

We are looking at cruises and 1 of them include a stop here. Of course being this would be our first time we would like to see the EIFFEL TOWER. My problem is how do we get there? Ships transportation is almost $110 pp and I will be paying for 6 adults from what I understand the ship won't leave with out us.

What other options would we have train? Idea on cost? Any tour companies that would be more reasonably priced?

Thanks for any help!

It is true that if you take a ship's excursion...they will not leave without you (unless you lose your group during the tour) or they would have to deal with the cost (and logistics) of getting you to the next port. Anytime you go off on your own, you do assume the responsibility of getting back to the ship on time. That being said, DW and I have been traveling independently (in Europe and elsewhere) for over forty years (hundreds of port stops) and never missed a ship (YET).

So, what are your other options at a lower cost? You could all share a taxi to the Le Havre train station (about 10 min from the pier) and simply take the train into Paris where you then have access to the Paris Metro and buses. We would add that there are substantial discounts (usually about 20%) for seniors using the trains...if you simply ask for a Senior Fare (the French have never asked us for age proof...and if you are 60 you qualify).

The other is to rent a mini van (you would need something to hold 6) and drive yourselves to Paris. While this is something we have done....it is not what we normally recommend for folks not used to driving in Europe and dealing with Paris traffic and parking issues.

Another option is to arrange for a private guide/driver or simply hire a van-taxi for the day. This might actually be a little less money (it is negotiable and might be doable for about 400-500€). You can look online for some companies and e-mail them to get a price.

As one who has actually done this trek (to Paris) a few times we would add another comment. It is a very long day going to Paris (from Le Havre) for simply one day. You are talking about at least 5 hours of transit (it will often take over 6 hours) for just a few rushed hours in Paris (where we have happily spend many weeks). For those that want to truly experience Paris...the city is worth at least a week. From Le Havre you do have other options (such as the D-Day beaches/sites, Honfleur, etc) that will avoid the long transit time and allow you more time to actually enjoy France.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Well, if you are lucky the 8 month old will simply eat and sleep most of the day :). You might also consider that if you want to go up to the top of the Eiffel Tower, it can be a very long queue...and will cost you about 17€ per adult (steep price for a couple of elevators). Having been to Paris many times, we still find the Eiffel Tower both enchanting and quite beautiful...although we only see it in passing as we no longer see it as a destination when in Paris (too many other places and things we rather do).

For those making their first (or even subsequent trips) to Paris we strongly recommend reading the very long novel by Edward Rutherford called "Paris." It will give you a better appreciation of the some of the key sites in Paris....especially the Eiffel Tower.

Hank

We were in Le Havre last year. DH and I decide to rent a car for $40 USD and drive ourselves to Benedictine, Etretat (beautify sea arch), and Normandy Beaches. We had a great day. We will be back there next year and we are looking to do something different.

Paris is just too far away for a day visit.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was just doing some researching (briefly)and saw Etretat and was looking at maybe checking out Normandy beaches.Cost? That may be of interest for us. Now to figure a way to do it. What is traffic like? Not sure my hubby will want to drive as he prefers not to while on vacations, but will if he has too!

Do they rent mini-vans as there will be 7 of us?

Any recommendations on tour companies that will cater to your needs?

Or is there a public transportation option?

We are budget travelers, but will splurge if necessary?

I am open to any tips.

I was just doing some researching (briefly)and saw Etretat and was looking at maybe checking out Normandy beaches.Cost? That may be of interest for us. Now to figure a way to do it. What is traffic like? Not sure my hubby will want to drive as he prefers not to while on vacations, but will if he has too!

I am open to any tips.

You raise a few issues. Regarding public transportation, it is not an option for the places you want to visit. This part of France is very rural and one needs wheels (in one form or another) to get to multiple destinations. As to renting a van that can hold 7 you would need to contact some of the nearby rental car companies and find out what they offer (we have only rented small cars). There is only 1 rental car company inside the port (rentacar.fr)...but there are a few others within a mile of the port (i.e. Sixt, Europcar and perhaps others). On our last visit, DW and I simply walked out of the port over to Europcar...where we had reserved a car for a much lower price then the rentacar.fr company.

If you want to hire a private van/driver for an entire day it will likely cost you well over 300€ (as high as 500€).

As to driving in the region, once you get out of Le Havre...just about everything is rural driving with minimum to reasonable traffic and lots of picturesque country 2 lane roads. We find driving in France (outside of the major cities) quite easy. Just keep in mind that many rentals are standard shift....so if you need an automatic make sure that is what you reserve.

Hank

I am open to any tips.

Tidygirl, Rentacar does have 7 and 9 seater vans, I've booked one for 8-9 people for next June, I think it's 180 euros for the day. Stick shift of course, we've no problems with them. Do note that while you can request an automatic you may not always get it on the actual day, I've heard several people complain about this. Rentacar is in the port itself and while there are other car rental companies in town I decided against them.