Waimarino Glow Worm Questions

I haven't, but I live near a glow worm tunnel in Australia so can speak a little bit to it. Glow worms live in places that are always dark, they'll be best and brightest in places where the sunlight never reaches it anyway. Most glow worm caves and tunnels are underground, very deep, or have a bend that prevents light reaching the middle. I see that a bunch of the tours for the glow worm caves are at sunset over there, so it may be that there are some aspects that are better in low natural light, but there are day tours too so they'd have to be visible regardless.

What Meamet said is correct in terms of glow worms being around in dark places. You will see them 24 hours a day in dark damp places. I recommend contacting Waimarino themselves and asking - just to be sure for your trip.

I live in NZ but haven't heard of them but have heard and been to Waitomo along with everyone else in NZ (either been to or heard of) and people around the world - and Waitomo is good for glow worm / caving experience (and black water rafting for even more of an experience).

Sounds like the Kayak experience interests you?? But thought I'd mention other glow worm options:

An alternative option is hiring a driver to take you to Karangahake Gorge (70 kms out from Tauranga) and enjoy for free the beautiful walking tracks that pass through the relics of the Talisman and Crown mining operations and you can also do the Karangahake Window Walk which you can see glow worms in one of the tunnels - I haven't been there for several years now so, not sure how many glow worms are currently there - and I do know glow worms don't like noise and will turn their "light" off as a result. Have a look at the Dept of Conservation website for more info on this walk and area.

Cruise Critic member 'The Other Tom' mentioned Waitomo Caves for glow worms as I also mentioned above - you could do that trip there and back in a day from Tauranga (depending on ship arrival and departure time) but it is further and it will cost - it has been the primary glow worm experience for NZ for many years and it is good. Having said that, you've now made me curious about Waimarino and perhaps I should explore and be a tourist in my 'own back yard' - something we all easily forget to do .

Edited by Embrace

Reading the info about this tour here http://www.glowwormkayaking.com/tauranga/glowworm-tour it seems that the glowworms are in a canyon, not a cave, so the tour only runs in the evenings.

I've done kayaking with this company in the past - they dropped us off, fully kitted out, upriver and we had a lovely time kayaking down.

We are in Tauranga until 6pm so I don't know how will that work. The excursion clearly says glow worms and I have a feeling it will not work because of the time. My other option is to book a third party excursion nd go to Waitomo but where do I even start when it comes to tours from the cruise dock

We are in Tauranga until 6pm so I don't know how will that work. The excursion clearly says glow worms and I have a feeling it will not work because of the time. My other option is to book a third party excursion nd go to Waitomo but where do I even start when it comes to tours from the cruise dock

No, it wouldn't work at all. Typically you will need to be back onboard by 5:30pm and it's still light then. NZ has daylight saving - sunset last night was at 7:55pm. I'm afraid that won't be an option for you.

If your cruise goes to the Bay of Islands there are glowworm caves in that area http://www.kawiticaves.co.nz/. The famous ones at Waitomo are about 2 hours drive from Tauranga so doable as a day excursion. http://www.waitomocaves.com/

• 4 weeks later...