Cigars

geegee1

Going to be going to St Martin on our cruise and was wondering if there is a shop where one can purchase legit Cuban cigars?

Hey geegee1,

I will be in St. Martin on 28 January while on an NCL cruise. After doing a lot of research into this topic, I have read that there are cigar shops on the Dutch side, but their stock is questionable.

There is a licensed Habanos store in Marigot, on the French side.

I have attached a trip advisor review of the store as well as a youtube video that is a year old.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g147348-d7938969-Reviews-La_Casa_del_Habano-Marigot_Saint_Martin_St_Maarten_St_Martin.html

As you didn't say when you are cruising, I will post back upon my return (we get back on February 1st)

Regards,

Vinegarjoe

Hey geegee1,

I will be in St. Martin on 28 January while on an NCL cruise. After doing a lot of research into this topic, I have read that there are cigar shops on the Dutch side, but their stock is questionable.

There is a licensed Habanos store in Marigot, on the French side.

I have attached a trip advisor review of the store as well as a youtube video that is a year old.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g147348-d7938969-Reviews-La_Casa_del_Habano-Marigot_Saint_Martin_St_Maarten_St_Martin.html

As you didn't say when you are cruising, I will post back upon my return (we get back on February 1st)

Regards,

Vinegarjoe

Please do. I'll be on the Gem on 2/11.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Casa Del Habanos is the official retailer of Cuban Cigars. Everything in the shop will be real.

If you have never bought Cuban Cigars, be prepared for some sticker shock. Smaller sticks will run around $15. The popular sizes (monty #2, Cohiba esplendidos, partagas #4) will run 25+.

As stated earlier, anything on the street or any prices significantly less than Casa Del Habanos are probably fake.

Be careful how many you buy - a few sticks are easy to get past US customs, entire boxes are much more challenging. If you are planning on bringing anything back, you best bet is to bring gallon ziplock bags, double bagging the cigars and placing them in a crush resistant container.

Good luck!

Please do. I'll be on the Gem on 2/11.

Thanks

Hey Geegee1,

Just got home from our cruise yesterday. On our day in St. Maarten, I did go to Marigot and visited the "Casa Del Habano". The street address is 71 Port Royale, Marigot, and the store is across the street from a cemetery.

The easiest ( not the cheapest) way is to take a cab to Marigot. the fare we paid was $8.00 per person (there was 4 in our party). Just tell the cab driver that you want to go to Casa Del Habano across from the cemetery. If this is your only reason to visit Marigot, ask the cab driver to wait, we did, and the cabbie waited without issue.

You could take a bus from the port for much cheaper, but you are at the mercy of public transportation. I am not familiar with taking a bus on Saint Maarten, but there are posts on cruise critic about it.

The cigars at Casa Del Habano are legitimate. The sticks are very fresh. Carol is the manager, but she was on holiday in France when we visited, but her assistant who doesn't speak a lot of English assisted us and was great to deal with.

Bowman1 was a bit off regarding prices. #2 Monti's were $17.00 per stick. Cohiba Siglios ranged from $13 to $35. They have a great selection.

The shop gives even exchange on dollars so although the prices are in Euros, they charge you the same in dollars.

If you want to shop in advance, I have attached Carol's ( shop manager) email address, send her an email, tell her when you are going to be in St. Martin and ask her for a current price list, which she will send to you.

I spent $236.00 on assorted cigars and the on-duty manager gave me a Cohibia Siglio VI for free. I didn't ask for it, nor did I try to barter.

Carol's email: carolcasadelhabano@hotmail.com

Oh, as I don't know which day you are going to be in Saint Maarten, the shop hours are 9 am to 3:30 pm Monday through Friday and Saturdays 9 am to 1 pm.

Have fun on your cruise

Regards,

Vinegarjoe

Hey Geegee1,

Just got home from our cruise yesterday. On our day in St. Maarten, I did go to Marigot and visited the "Casa Del Habano". The street address is 71 Port Royale, Marigot, and the store is across the street from a cemetery.

The easiest ( not the cheapest) way is to take a cab to Marigot. the fare we paid was $8.00 per person (there was 4 in our party). Just tell the cab driver that you want to go to Casa Del Habano across from the cemetery. If this is your only reason to visit Marigot, ask the cab driver to wait, we did, and the cabbie waited without issue.

You could take a bus from the port for much cheaper, but you are at the mercy of public transportation. I am not familiar with taking a bus on Saint Maarten, but there are posts on cruise critic about it.

The cigars at Casa Del Habano are legitimate. The sticks are very fresh. Carol is the manager, but she was on holiday in France when we visited, but her assistant who doesn't speak a lot of English assisted us and was great to deal with.

Bowman1 was a bit off regarding prices. #2 Monti's were $17.00 per stick. Cohiba Siglios ranged from $13 to $35. They have a great selection.

The shop gives even exchange on dollars so although the prices are in Euros, they charge you the same in dollars.

If you want to shop in advance, I have attached Carol's ( shop manager) email address, send her an email, tell her when you are going to be in St. Martin and ask her for a current price list, which she will send to you.

I spent $236.00 on assorted cigars and the on-duty manager gave me a Cohibia Siglio VI for free. I didn't ask for it, nor did I try to barter.

Carol's email: carolcasadelhabano@hotmail.com

Oh, as I don't know which day you are going to be in Saint Maarten, the shop hours are 9 am to 3:30 pm Monday through Friday and Saturdays 9 am to 1 pm.

Have fun on your cruise

Regards,

Vinegarjoe

Thanks for the great info. Enjoy your stash.

• 3 weeks later...