Tweens/teens program info

We are experienced cruisers taking our 12 and 13 year old granddaughters on thier first cruise.

I've searched the forum but really did not find much information. I would love some specific info on what is offered to this age group. Is there anything we need to know to make sure they have a great and safe time?

Thanks for any informaiton/opinion!!!!!

We are experienced cruisers taking our 12 and 13 year old granddaughters on thier first cruise.

I've searched the forum but really did not find much information. I would love some specific info on what is offered to this age group. Is there anything we need to know to make sure they have a great and safe time?

Thanks for any informaiton/opinion!!!!!

Check out AO link in my signature for all info for what the kids program has to offer

Enjoy

Have a great cruise.

Happy days!

BTW our DD is 13, so any other questions you have I can ask DD directly for exacts

Edited by PompeySailor

The Teen planner from my June 2014 cruise on Freedom was a little different layout than Pompey Sailor's so I thought I would put it on here also. Unfortunately, I can't give you any information because my kids were 9, 9, and 11 on this past cruise, I just picked up the flyer for future cruise info. I'm not thrilled that my oldest will be 12 years old (all girls) at the time of our next cruise. I don't mind giving her freedom, but a giant cruise ship with thousands of strangers isn't the place where I want her to be wandering around.

004_zps29a9d3b1.jpg

FreedomWesternJune2014Teen12-14Compass_zps5a64f0b6.jpg

001_zpsbd7c1276.jpg

003_zps0b26fad9.jpg

Our first cruise was the Grandeur of the Seas with a 12year old & 17 year old and they both loved it. Went on the Liberty the following year then the Emerald Princess this year.

My daughter only came the first year but my son has loved all three ships for the teen programme. As someone else suggested he stresses that it is really important to be at the meeting point in the club on the first night - usually around 8pm so we normally eat in the buffet then to allow him to leave for this time. At this time the leaders normally encourage all of the new group to mingle with each other and anyone joining after this stage finds it harder to mix - although it is still encouraged by the leaders.

My son will not mix when we go to a hotel on the med but LOVES the teen club on the ships. Any specific questions I can find out for you. Generally he took part in quizzes, fun games , disco etc. or just mingled with his new friends.

Is there supervision at all times for the 12-14 year olds when they are in the program? My daughter will be 12 when we sail next, and I am concerned that she will be the youngest in the group.

On our last cruise this was our concern, however DD decided she wanted to be with the 8-11,s. (She was 12 at the time)

Knowing this is not the normal way of things we asked when we registered

They gave her the choice, pending on the size of the groups for specific ages.

She ended up in the lower group, but also hung out with the 12-14,s as well when all were in the arcades.

You might want to try this option. as can confirm 100% they are definitely supervised in the 8-11,s.

Also interested on the supervision for 12-14 group, as DD will be for sure in this group in November.

If no response, will make sure I get back to you after we sail on the exacts for the 12-14's w.r.t supervision.

Happy Days!

Edited by PompeySailor

The 11 years and under have to be signed in/out the clubs but the 12 years and over can come and go as they please. My son and daughter were in different groups at that time 12-14 15-17 but I was happy with the set up and my son and daughter mainly stayed in the teen area all night unless there was another organised activity going on , but you will know about this from the cruise compass. You have to sign permission forms for them to take part in any activities like rock climbing or the flow rider etc.

At the beginning of our first cruise we let our kids know where we would be for the first couple of hours in case they weren't enjoying it but we didn't see them until 1am (curfew time).

On our last cruise this was our concern, however DD decided she wanted to be with the 8-11,s. (She was 12 at the time)

Knowing this is not the normal way of things we asked when we registered

They gave her the choice, pending on the size of the groups for specific ages.

She ended up in the lower group, but also hung out with the 12-14,s as well when all were in the arcades.

You might want to try this option. as can confirm 100% they are definitely supervised in the 8-11,s.

Also interested on the supervision for 12-14 group, as DD will be for sure in this group in November.

If no response, will make sure I get back to you after we sail on the exacts for the 12-14's w.r.t supervision.

Happy Days!

So Adventure Ocean let you put her in with the 9-11 year old group? My other two will be 10 1/2 at the time of the cruise, but my oldest will be 12 1/2 (almost). I would rather all three of them be together, but not sure how strict they are. I am not comfortable with her not being supervised in that atmosphere. Plus I know that sometimes they put the 12-17 year olds together. I definitely don't want my 12 year old to be such older kids. Let's keep a little bit of that innocence as long as we can, you know??? I know there are those that say you've got to give them freedom. I give my kids freedom, but on a ship with thousands of strangers and thousands of private areas that they could be pulled into, that's not where I want to give them a lot of freedom at that age. I trust my kids, I don't trust everyone else.

Right now she is disappointed that she won't be in the club with her sisters, but we'll see how she feels in 10 more months, I guess.

Our daughter loved the Adventure Ocean program and then she got too old and had to move up to the teen program. We always make her go the first night. She hated the program. There were times that we read in the program that they were doing a specific thing that she was interested in participating in and no one would show up. There were other times where the people in charge wouldn't show up on time and the kids that did come would start leaving. All in all not near as good as the program for the younger ones that she loved.

So Adventure Ocean let you put her in with the 9-11 year old group? My other two will be 10 1/2 at the time of the cruise, but my oldest will be 12 1/2 (almost). I would rather all three of them be together, but not sure how strict they are. I am not comfortable with her not being supervised in that atmosphere. Plus I know that sometimes they put the 12-17 year olds together. I definitely don't want my 12 year old to be such older kids. Let's keep a little bit of that innocence as long as we can, you know??? I know there are those that say you've got to give them freedom. I give my kids freedom, but on a ship with thousands of strangers and thousands of private areas that they could be pulled into, that's not where I want to give them a lot of freedom at that age. I trust my kids, I don't trust everyone else.

Right now she is disappointed that she won't be in the club with her sisters, but we'll see how she feels in 10 more months, I guess.

At the discretion of the AO staff, we asked and they obliged, worth trying IMO, in our circumstance they could of said no. But luckily for DD they said OK.

Obviously some may be refused other not.

No harm in asking.

Best of luck:)

At the discretion of the AO staff, we asked and they obliged, worth trying IMO, in our circumstance they could of said no. But luckily for DD they said OK.

Obviously some may be refused other not.

No harm in asking.

Best of luck:)

Yes, we will definitely ask. Thanks for the tip!