Hawaiian Style Mopeds and Scooters Rental - Honolulu

RUDIMAY1

My suggestion is that with the amount of traffic on those roads, a car would be a better choice - but if you are an experienced scooter/motorcycle driver, then you'd likely be OK. It's not somewhere where I'd try a scooter for the first time though.

Hawaiinstylerentals.com

We did rent trikes in Aruba but their company seems close to Diamond Head and Hanauma Bay. Also their videos show a relaxing ride in marked lanes. We don't have reservations yet and are not sure if we can squeeze it in, but it looks like a good company. So just looking for options and opinions. Thank for your info.

Just to add and sorry to 'harp' on this but this accident happened a bit further along the road that Hanamua Bay is on ... the quote in the last paragraph is what I referred to above about not riding in Honolulu if you aren't used to driving one (I have a MC license so I know how long it took to get accustomed to and comfortable with driving a MC ... and that was on roads that I'm familiar with. Add the mix of being on unfamiliar roads yourself, with a lot of tourists who are also driving these roads for the first time and trying to sightsee while driving.)

Difficult to tell from that map how difficult the ride will be ... but maybe you meant that the distance is short? Google street view is a good place to get an idea of traffic, roads, etc. I've attached a few street views ... they take a few seconds to load when you click on the links.

When you leave the rental place, this is where you'll turn left.

This is along the route shown on the map that you linked. Just need to watch for cars backing up here .. there is a bike lane, but I would think that's meant for non-motorized.

This is Diamond Head Road, along the west side of DH (also on the route that the rental map shows). And another section.

Edited by Susan-M

• 2 weeks later...
...Oops, sorry, you won't be turning left in that first link ... it's a one way street, so a right turn (posting too quickly earlier!)

We don't have any issues going down one-way streets the wrong way. After all we are from Massachusetts. As Denis Leary once joked "Don't use your turn signals and let your enemies know what you are doing." ;o

We've been to Hawaii several times and at the major tourist sites there are always scooters for rent. In the tropics that sounds like such the fun thing.

Just be aware that the roads to diamond head and the bay are shared with cars, busses and trucks like any major big city street. Even on the smaller islands like maui and kauai I see similar.

Each time I'm there I'm amazed at the younger crowd who do these sans helmet and often in tennis shoes or worse flip flops. If they were my kids I'd put them in a convertible jeep and let them burn their shoulds/heads versus get a road rash or worse if something bad happens. BTW it does rain often in Hawaii and if you are on a scooter versus a car you can get very very wet too

Play it safe, rent a car, or get a tour.

• 3 weeks later...
We've been to Hawaii several times and at the major tourist sites there are always scooters for rent. In the tropics that sounds like such the fun thing.

Just be aware that the roads to diamond head and the bay are shared with cars, busses and trucks like any major big city street. Even on the smaller islands like maui and kauai I see similar.

Each time I'm there I'm amazed at the younger crowd who do these sans helmet and often in tennis shoes or worse flip flops. If they were my kids I'd put them in a convertible jeep and let them burn their shoulds/heads versus get a road rash or worse if something bad happens. BTW it does rain often in Hawaii and if you are on a scooter versus a car you can get very very wet too

Play it safe, rent a car, or get a tour.

Now you made it so scary I have to try it. I love risks.

• 2 weeks later...
Now you made it so scary I have to try it. I love risks.

Hopefully it won't be your first time driving a MC or moped? Trying it on vacation for the first time can be a recipe for disaster.

In Costa Rica last week, we met a man who was touring on a motorcycle (with a friend who was driving another MC). Even though he was an experienced rider, he underestimated the road conditions in Costa Rica, and had an accident that left him barely able to walk.

Here's a sad story that happened yesterday on Oahu.

Honolulu isn't Aruba. It is a large American city with some of the worst traffic in the U.S. I wouldn't ride a moped or scooter there for anything. If the life insurance is paid up, have at, but Honolulu is not noted for its great drivers already.

Honolulu isn't Aruba. It is a large American city with some of the worst traffic in the U.S. I wouldn't ride a moped or scooter there for anything. If the life insurance is paid up, have at, but Honolulu is not noted for its great drivers already.

Boston isn't a big city with terrible drivers? I am so relieved that you are worried about my health. I'll let my mother know. She will feel better. She didn't even express that much concern during the summer I was jumping out of planes.

Boston isn't a big city with terrible drivers? I am so relieved that you are worried about my health. I'll let my mother know. She will feel better. She didn't even express that much concern during the summer I was jumping out of planes.

And you've driven in Honolulu how many times was it?

You asked for feedback. You got it. It is very dangerous. What you do with the feedback is up to you.

Edited by scottca075

I think our traffic is getting a bad rap here. Mopeds are considered "bikes" in Hawaii, so they are able to use our bike lanes. If you are in actual traffic, you have to stay in the right lane. Traffic here isn't as bad as traffic in Boston. If you're careful, you'll be fine.

Edit to add: If you don't want the Honolulu congestion, rent a moped on an outer island.

Edited by AlohaPride

If you're careful, you'll be fine.

If you don't want the Honolulu congestion, rent a moped on an outer island.

Often it's not the moped driver's fault, so being careful only works if the other drivers on the road are also. Maui has had 5 traffic fatalities this month ... is that one of the outer islands that you're suggesting? http://khon2.com/2014/04/14/maui-woman-dies-in-moped-accident/

Often it's not the moped driver's fault, so being careful only works if the other drivers on the road are also. Maui has had 5 traffic fatalities this month ... is that one of the outer islands that you're suggesting? http://khon2.com/2014/04/14/maui-woman-dies-in-moped-accident/

Maui could be one of the islands I'm suggesting. I've only been there a handful of times and didn't rent a moped there. We had trouble leaving Kaanapali Beach ;)

I ride motorcycles and my husband teaches the safety program for the University of Hawaii. The best advice I can give about riding safety is to ride as though you were invisible. Don't make the assumption you're seen. There is risk to every activity. It's an individual choice if that risk is acceptable.

I think our traffic is getting a bad rap here. Mopeds are considered "bikes" in Hawaii, so they are able to use our bike lanes. If you are in actual traffic, you have to stay in the right lane. Traffic here isn't as bad as traffic in Boston. If you're careful, you'll be fine.

Edit to add: If you don't want the Honolulu congestion, rent a moped on an outer island.

By any objective measure, the only city in the U.S. worse than Honolulu in 2013 was Los Angeles. The year before that Honolulu beat LA. Honolulu is far worse than Boston.

In going on Diamond Head Road there is no "right lane". There is zero room for a moped.

And then the notion of taking the Kalanianaole Highway all the way to Hanauma and back on a moped is doubly crazy.

Oahu isn't a sleepy, sparsely populated island.

By any objective measure, the only city in the U.S. worse than Honolulu in 2013 was Los Angeles. The year before that Honolulu beat LA. Honolulu is far worse than Boston.

In going on Diamond Head Road there is no "right lane". There is zero room for a moped.

And then the notion of taking the Kalanianaole Highway all the way to Hanauma and back on a moped is doubly crazy.

Oahu isn't a sleepy, sparsely populated island.

I did all of that at 17 and was fine. There IS a bike lane on Diamond Head Road that mopeds can use.

I did all of that at 17 and was fine. There IS a bike lane on Diamond Head Road that mopeds can use.

AlohaPride try to keep your "Aloha Spirit". Cranky people are not worth it. If we take the mopeds i will take selfie pictures of our happy times. If we crash I'll send the police photos of our fiery crash. I wanted a light-hearted thread but now I wish it would just fade away.

Thanks everyone for all your opinions. I love taking risks and really don't think this was that big of a deal, so if we can fit it in to our schedule we will do it. We will certainly take the traffic seriously as we have been warned. Maybe we will just drink Mai Tais instead just because of the fear factor.

Many thanks, (Mahalo nui lao)? Is that correct? I hope to catch the "Aloha Spirit" myself this Thursday.

Love you all!

AlohaPride try to keep your "Aloha Spirit". Cranky people are not worth it. If we take the mopeds i will take selfie pictures of our happy times. If we crash I'll send the police photos of our fiery crash. I wanted a light-hearted thread but now I wish it would just fade away.

Thanks everyone for all your opinions. I love taking risks and really don't think this was that big of a deal, so if we can fit it in to our schedule we will do it. We will certainly take the traffic seriously as we have been warned. Maybe we will just drink Mai Tais instead just because of the fear factor.

Many thanks, (Mahalo nui lao)? Is that correct? I hope to catch the "Aloha Spirit" myself this Thursday.

Love you all!

Just go and enjoy yourselves! The traffic is bad at rush hour, but what large city doesn't have rush hour traffic? Two months ago we drove all over the island and downtown Honolulu and our motto was "just go with the flow" and it's all good!:)

I know I'd love to hear about your trip upon your return (no fiery crashes ;)), and I'm sure many others here would, too!

Aloha!

Edited by greatlakesgirl

Love you all!

Bon voyage! I hope you have a fantastic time! Please report back what you end up doing. If you do get mai tais go to the Royal Hawaiian home of the original mai tai. Sooooo ono(good)

Aloha!!

Thanks Great lakes girL. Loved your review, I have been looking to do the Hollywood in Hawaii excursion in Kauai and enjoyed your pictures. These threads have got me through this years long winter. We should be the grouchy ones. BUT!!! WE WILL BE IN HAWAII THIS WEEK!! HOORAY!!

Edited by RUDIMAY1