Uniworld travelers -- walking stick question

jklc123

My DH is curious about whether the Nordic walking sticks are readily available (I told him, of course; it's Uniworld!) and whether people who have used them find them helpful on excursions. He has a bad knee and bought an inexpensive stick to use in Turkey, which he found useful. But he left it behind.

I *think* I remember seeing them by the door on a few port stops, but if not then the cruise director will have them ready for you for sure! I wouldn't be surprised if they just give one to you for your use during the week, there wasn't much demand for them a few weeks ago on the Danube.

If you are going to buy walking sticks before your trip, I recommend Pacer Poles from England. They have a unique handgrip that makes them completely intuitive to use. I'm using them walking the Camino right now, and am very pleased with them. The others are all using regular walking poles with straight grips and loops -- one woman had to buy driving gloves after the first day because they were chafing her hands.

http://www.pacerpole.com

If you are going to buy walking sticks before your trip, I recommend Pacer Poles from England. They have a unique handgrip that makes them completely intuitive to use. I'm using them walking the Camino right now, and am very pleased with them. The others are all using regular walking poles with straight grips and loops -- one woman had to buy driving gloves after the first day because they were chafing her hands.

http://www.pacerpole.com

Thanks so much for the suggestion. And how wonderful to be walking the Camino right now. The whole route?

Thanks so much for the suggestion. And how wonderful to be walking the Camino right now. The whole route?

We're doing the whole route, but not walking the whole route. Rented a car in Madrid, drove up to Bilbao then around to St-Jean-Pied-de-Port and followed the Camino to Leon. Joined a Fresco Tour there and started walking the Camino from Sarria to Santiago (the final 100km plus a few). They transport our luggage, put us up in nice country-manor hotels, three meals a day, one guide who walks with us and another who scurries around arranging lunch etc, and a driver who meets us once or twice a day with water and a chance to bail on some of the hiking. Wonderful experience. Will post a link to a blog and photos when we get back.

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

My DH is curious about whether the Nordic walking sticks are readily available (I told him, of course; it's Uniworld!) and whether people who have used them find them helpful on excursions. He has a bad knee and bought an inexpensive stick to use in Turkey, which he found useful. But he left it behind.

I can feel your DH's pain! I'm not familiar with Nordic walking sticks from personal use, I know what they are, but I haven't used one. However, as a person with a bad back and bad knee, I find my problem is two fold: walking and even worse, standing! I purchased a combination walking stick and seat from Magellan for under $50 and it's perfect. You can carry it on the plane or check it without charge because it's considered a medical device and it has 3 legs which gives it stability on cobblestones and when the group stops for guide talk the seat flips down and you can sit on it. Holds up to 300 pounds, folds flat and weighs less than 3 pounds. Downside is it won't fit in suitcase and if you get one replace the rubber tips on the legs with cane tips.

• 2 weeks later...

We're back from the Camino. It was a wonderful experience. I have posted a blog and lots of pictures on Shutterfly:

https://jazzbeauxcamino2014.shutterfly.com/pictures/5

Jazzbeau

When we wanted to buy walking sticks, we went to REI and the salesman suggested ski poles since we needed to buy 2 of them. Worked out great.

Now, I too prefer to use a collapsible cane that fits in my carry-on.

cb