Myanmar Visa shipboard

OldBoot

HAL says that for passengers arriving by ship to Myanmar--

• All nationalities can obtain the visa for Myanmar onboard for approximately USD $65 per person
  • Visa can be obtained onboard if arriving to Myanmar with the ship
  • The onboard visa is valid for 28 days and guests can go ashore for an overnight excursion OR overland tour to another city in Myanmar of tourist destination (NOT REMOTE AREA)
  • Visa on arrival will be issued to all passengers onboard of all nationalities (that do not have one) whether they go ashore or not

My Travel Agent says--

• We can complete a hard copy to send in to the consulate at a fee of $30 CDN per person, but you do have to send in your Passports and pay for the courier return.
  • There is also the option of completing the online Visa for a higher expense. It is more convenient and you do not need a letter of employment.

I think HAL's process sounds much simpler, albeit more pricey.

That must be why we did it that way, too! I don't remember if we needed visas for Malaysia, Thailand or Singapore, and the only one we had to get ourselves was India, but I think they're not even stopping in Port Blair anymore? (This was almost 2 years ago now, and things change!)

Hope you have a great cruise. We found the whole trip amazing.

I did, and I'm sorry, I don't know how to post a link to it (new OS is driving me crazy!) - it was called Volendam Memories. It was from March, 2014. I looked it up by clicking on my name in the heading of my post. But then I had to search backwards!

HAL says that for passengers arriving by ship to Myanmar--

There is also the option of completing the online Visa for a higher expense. It is more convenient and you do not need a letter of employment.

It came to my understanding that online visa are only meant for arrival /departure via AIR / PLANE, not via a cruise.

Also: with getting the visa on board, you do not need to miss your passport for a while. The process to obtain a visa seems to take some time if you order the visa prior to departure from your home.

IMO, it is so much easier to let HAL obtain most visas even if a slightly higher fee (some are cheaper thru HAL) as there is no issue with a small error, 'no muss, no fuss', etc. My only exception is Australia as the on line ETA is easy to get and much cheaper thru easy eta dot com.

We're you easily able to provide the information they required? Beyond my passport info, I am a bit concerned about remembering details they may request.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Apropos of nothing, my husband was born in Rangoon, and once when we were flying in, he put place of birth as Rangoon, Burma (long time ago) and caused great consternation among the officials, they insisted no, it was port of entry - Rangoon, not place of birth - Rangoon! It took him quite a while to calm everyone down and convince them he had indeed been born there!:D