Turn Around Day FLL

Rotterdam

In today's(Sunday, 22 March 2015) NY Times Business Section there is an interesting article describing the turnaround for RCCL's Oasis Of The Seas in Fort Lauderdale for a 7 day cruise.

The numbers are staggering, the work load for the stewards & alike is depressing, the engineering & build out of the ship is fascinating and overall(personally) another reason why I will never sail on one of these floating malls.

It's definitely worth a read.(the title is a little off as in referrig to a RCCL ship as a "luxury liner").

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/22/business/a-luxury-liner-docks-and-the-countdowns-on.html?action=click&pgtype=Homepage&version=Moth-Visible&module=inside-nyt-region&region=inside-nyt-region&WT.nav=inside-nyt-region&_r=0

Enjoy!

I don't think I would want to do a full cruise on any of these mega-ships. Maybe a 2 or 3 day, just to check out the ship, but that's about it.

I'm sorry RCCI is going this route. Once my favorite cruise line, I'm beginning to rethink who's best in my book.

Thanks for such and interesting read!

Not trying to be argumentative, just trying to understand….is your issue with the size of the ship or the amount of work the employees have to do? If it is the latter, then I don't really think that RCL works their employees any harder or for worse wages than any other line or any other ship. I am doing research on a river cruise (190 passengers) and my friend YouTube says that those employees work similar hours, contracts and live in equally awful conditions.

I sometimes think bad of myself for sailing but given I have an iPhone, wear clothes made in China, eat food that I don't grow, drive a foreign car, travel in planes with attendants who some state work under slave like conditions, etc. etc. etc. I have reached the conclusion that my traveling (buying a phone, eating food, etc. ) helps to provide employment. So I try to treat the ships workers as I like to be treated, tip well and smile while I enjoy my vacations.

• 2 weeks later...
Not trying to be argumentative, just trying to understand….is your issue with the size of the ship or the amount of work the employees have to do? If it is the latter, then I don't really think that RCL works their employees any harder or for worse wages than any other line or any other ship. I am doing research on a river cruise (190 passengers) and my friend YouTube says that those employees work similar hours, contracts and live in equally awful conditions.

I sometimes think bad of myself for sailing but given I have an iPhone, wear clothes made in China, eat food that I don't grow, drive a foreign car, travel in planes with attendants who some state work under slave like conditions, etc. etc. etc. I have reached the conclusion that my traveling (buying a phone, eating food, etc. ) helps to provide employment. So I try to treat the ships workers as I like to be treated, tip well and smile while I enjoy my vacations.

I thought it was an interesting article

Edited by Rotterdam