Getting on board in Southampton

Nickymmm

Hello all,

34 days and counting!!

Another newbie question for you lucky people who are familiar with Southampton and Queen Elizabeth!

My fiance (will be husband when we board!) is a full time wheelchair user, we have already sent the documentation to Cunard for this. Can anyone tell me; is there a long steep incline to get on board or is it a gentle slope? Or do we board at a level....I have no idea! Only asking as I know I'm going to struggle to help him push as well as carry a bag of essentials if it's one of those long zig-zag passageways. If I will need help with this, should I contact Cunard and enquire or wing it on the day?

Should add that he can push himself unless it is a long incline or particularly steep in parts! I'm not familiar with the set up at embarkation so would be grateful for your advice.

Nicky

Hi again Nicky

It is a Disney style zig-zag, but, you will have an assistant, AND you'll get priority. Obviously in PG you have it anyway, but you might find you'll beat the queue.

Aim to get to check in around 12:00, or even a little before.

We'll watch out for you.

Stewart

Edited by BigMac1953

Provided you have informed Cunard about your husband's requirements, which I assume you have, you won't be pushing him yourself. There are Mobility Assistants available to do the pushing, which can be a little steep at times.

Congratulations on your impending marriage and have a great trip.

Hi again Nicky

It is a Disney style zig-zag, but, you will have an assistant, AND you'll get priority. Obviously in PG you have it anyway, but you might find you'll beat the queue.

Aim to get to check in around 12:00, or even a little before.

We'll watch out for you.

Sftewart

Thank you again for your information Stewart, I thought it would be Disney zigzag style!

Looking forward to it very much!

Nicky

Provided you have informed Cunard about your husband's requirements, which I assume you have, you won't be pushing him yourself. There are Mobility Assistants available to do the pushing, which can be a little steep at times.

Congratulations on your impending marriage and have a great trip.

Thank you Gill, we are looking forward to it so much!

I'm almost more excited about the cruise than the wedding :D haha!

This forum has been so helpful with our planning, I'm hugely grateful for it.

Nicky

It depends very much on the terminal in use.

Ocean terminal is usually fine, I find the QE2 terminal (which we have only used once with Cunard) to be a proper so-and-so with a wheelchair. The Mayflower terminal has a bit of a challenging land side slope IIRC, although I don't think we've been there with Cunard. The City terminal is a doddle.

I too am a self pusher while my DW drags a bag and carries the spare crutches and I ususally manage okay without needing assistance. If there's an "air bridge" style arranement it's normally okay with the occasional steep bit at the corners. On the very rare occasions when it is quay-side boarding there will be crew to help push him up the short but steep slope.

But there will be plenty of helpers around and if one of them volunteers to help you I'd recommend accepting. Sometimes there's a bit of a wait to get serviced, hence why I do it solo. Even if your husband does struggle unassisted, ussually someone in the queue behind with step up to give him a push on the steep bits.

Edited by Chunky2219
typo