Shopping in Jamaica

moran4carnival

• 2 weeks later...
We have never been to Jamaica before. We are sailing on the Breeze in February. How is the shopping here? Is it worth it to get off the ship or just stay on the ship and enjoy the pool for the day?

It has been quite a few years since I have been in jamaica so I dont remember shopping but I would definately get off the ship and have fun.

My daughter and I are doing a resort in jamacia next week so I will report back.

Which of the three ports will you be docking at? That might will make a difference! We love shopping in Jamaica. They are the kings of negotiations and haggling! So much fun. Don't EVER give them what they are asking for (unles you are in an international jewelry store, etc). Markets are a blast to chat with the locals and find some pretty inexpensive cool treasures!!

Which of the three ports will you be docking at? That might will make a difference! We love shopping in Jamaica. They are the kings of negotiations and haggling! So much fun. Don't EVER give them what they are asking for (unles you are in an international jewelry store, etc). Markets are a blast to chat with the locals and find some pretty inexpensive cool treasures!!

Docking at Ocho Rios

It has been quite a few years since I have been in jamaica so I dont remember shopping but I would definately get off the ship and have fun.

My daughter and I are doing a resort in jamacia next week so I will report back.

Which resort are you doing?

In Ocho Rios, there's a small shopping area called Island Village that is right near the pier. If you feel adventurous, walk to the Taj Mahal shopping center and the market. You could also taxi there, but it's pretty close. Just walk out from the pier to the main street and turn left. One thing to know is that in Ocho Rios, the local vendors can be a little aggressive (it's their style of selling, don't be offended or freak out). We usually have the best luck if we chat with the vendors instead of being timid. They enjoy lively conversation and revel in the competition of beating their neighbors price, so have fun with it.

At Island Village, it's more of shops and I don't beleive they let smaller vendors in there, so it's a little less "exciting". :) this is also where Margaritaville is so it's pretty touristy. If your goal is to find some cool items and "experience shopping" then head to town. If you just want to pick up a couple little touristy things like rum or jerk seasoning, you can do that at Island Village.

Edited by mrsfuzzmo