snorkeling equipment

Melb1127

Hi. I hope someone can help me with the best type of snorkeling equipment to buy for my kids. I want them to practice in the pool before we cruise in August.

I went to Target today and they have the basic mask (child size) and snorkel or a mask that the snorkel attaches to, or the mask, snorkel and fins. What do I need to get for them? What will be the easiest for them to use? Do they really need the fins? :confused: Is Target ok for the basic snorkeling equipment? I really don't want to spend a fortune for their stuff but I want them to be comfortable and have a good time.

Thank you for your help!!

When buying a mask the most important feature is fit, with comfort being a close second.

Have the child put the mask against their face, without the straps holding it in place and try and breathe in through the nose. If it seals, that is it goes snug against the face with no air getting in, then it will do a better job of keeping water from leaking in when in real use.

Most of the gimmicky looking snorkels with all of the gadgetry that's supposed to keep water out are just that - something designed to catch your eye and your wallet. Get one that attaches to the mask and has a wide bore. If it has a clip type attachment find the snokel keeper "rings" and replace the clip with it.

Unless you're going somewhere that will be shallow enough for your kids to stand, they will need fins.

If you can, have them try snorkeling someplace other than just your pool before the cruise. A lake, slow river, calm ocean, or tidal pool - somewhere that will more closely emulate the environment you want them to enjoy.

If you think that a good deal of snorkeling may be in your future, consider spending a little more and buying quality gear - it will work better and last longer.

Enjoy!

Hi, that sounds like a good deal. We bought our first snorkel sets from a dive shop, here in Buffalo. But we just bought 3 new sets from Sam's Club, which I like better, because the fins are the short ones not the lonnnnng fins, short are easy to wear. And the masks fit good too. The other thing you might want to invest in is a snorkel vest. Especially for children, go to a dive shop for those.

Good luck and have a great time. We just got back from Cozumel. Snorkeling was great there.

• 3 weeks later...

We just bought adult sets at Sports Authority. They had a pretty good variety. We ended up buying Body Glove mask and snorkel sets - the most entry-level ones that are made w/ temprered glass. (My husband says tempered glass is important to avoid fogging up the glass a lot.) These cost us $39.99 per set.

We also bought fins for $19.99 / pair, also made by Body Glove. There were cheaper ones,a nd more expensive ones, too. I actually pried them out of the box to try on, and the $19.99 ones were the best feeling, rubber seemed most flexible, didn't cut into my feet.

I am considering returning my mask (but not husband's) and buying correctove vision mask, as I wear glasses.

They also seemed to ahve a good variety of kid's gear, too.

I did not see any inflatable vests there, though (nor at Walmart or Target), so I believe we will buy them on-line.

Have fun!

Hi. I hope someone can help me with the best type of snorkeling equipment to buy for my kids. I want them to practice in the pool before we cruise in August.

I went to Target today and they have the basic mask (child size) and snorkel or a mask that the snorkel attaches to, or the mask, snorkel and fins. What do I need to get for them? What will be the easiest for them to use? Do they really need the fins? :confused: Is Target ok for the basic snorkeling equipment? I really don't want to spend a fortune for their stuff but I want them to be comfortable and have a good time.

The stuff you buy at Target is Ok to start. You can get them used to that stuff before you go but you can rent so cheap when you get there. Are you going to Hawaii. You can rent ot Snorkel Bobs ,good equipment for 1.50 a day or 9.00 a week. They have these at all the islands with inter island return. They also have a thing that will keep the water from going in the spout. Also, fins are a must. The kind you get at Target will be hard plastic. The kind you rent are longer and softer.

We ended up buying Body Glove mask and snorkel sets - the most entry-level ones that are made w/ temprered glass. (My husband says tempered glass is important to avoid fogging up the glass a lot.)

Actually, tempered glass is used to minimize injury in the event that the glass breaks while being worn. Instead of breaking into sharp pieces like regular glass would, it will fracture into many fine (dull) pieces.

oligiz - Are the sets that you bought at Sam's Club the US Divers set that comes with the Trek Fins? (really short fins). If so, how well do the fins work? I'm thinking about buying this set but am wary about the small sized fins.

Thanks

Melb1127~

Be careful when buying snorkel masks for kids. Some of the sets that you get at Walmart/Target can be really cheap. My mother bought our boys some from Walmart and they are aweful. The sides of the mask do not suction to the face, so water just flows right in. They are basically a waste of money. Definately have your kids try them on in the store and check the straps and the suction aroung the face.

We bought our set at BJ's and they are a great. I saw the same set at LLBean for double the price. If you don't have a wholesale store, check out a sports store... they have youth sizes and your kids can try them on.

Most of the good snorkel sets have an attatchment for the snorkel on the mask. Make sure that it does attach to the mask though, or they will get water in their snorkel, which can be really scary for beginners.

You will want to teach them how to purge their snorkel for when the water does get into the snorkel beforehand so that they do not freak out.

Good luck and happy snorkeling!:)

The set we bought at Sam's seemed to work well for my wife. Mine worked well in testing, but I left it in a cab in Cozumel and never really got to try it.

We bought snorkel vests at http://www.snorkel-mart.com/ for $29.95 and were glad we did. It was nice to be have that little bit of extra security and one excursion required flotation and all they had were the bulky life jackets.

• 10 years later...
The stuff you buy at Target is Ok to start. You can get them used to that stuff before you go but you can rent so cheap when you get there. Are you going to Hawaii. You can rent ot Snorkel Bobs ,good equipment for 1.50 a day or 9.00 a week. They have these at all the islands with inter island return. They also have a thing that will keep the water from going in the spout. Also, fins are a must. The kind you get at Target will be hard plastic. The kind you rent are longer and softer.

Snorkel Bob's has 3 level of equipment rental: $9, $25, and $35....

Any recommendation for a beginner that plans on snorkeling 3-4 times in the week. It looks like the mask is the difference. On the lowest it looks like your nose fits inside the mask(like a mask), the others look fitted around your nose (like goggles)....