Belem/Lisbon Port Call Help

My husband and I will be visiting Lisbon later this month (in port from 8:00 AM until 4:00 PM) and I'd appreciate some help organizing a visit to Belem. We enjoy history, architecture, food and wine. We're not planning the most intensive visit possible since this will be Day 16 of a trip that already will have involved 14 days of walking tours with four more days of walking tours still to come. Therefore, we plan on staying in the Belem area to see the Tower of Belem, the Jeronimos Monastery, and the Discovery Monument, and, generally, just walk the area.

Is there a recommended order for seeing specific places and the historic areas of Belem? We'll be visiting on a Tuesday if that impacts the closing days/hours of place.

(I read an online posting that said that "it" was closed and under scaffolding. Since there was no noun used anywhere in the post, I have no idea what it is.)

Should we plan on hiring a taxi for 4-5 hours and use that to get between destinations? Should we plan on taking a taxi from the ship to a starting point, but completing the day on foot?

All suggestions appreciated. Thanks!

Edited by ksps cruise fan

Our ship docked in Lisbon (Alcantara) in May this year. We spent our day in Belem. Very easy to get to Belem from Alcantara using tram 15E. Do you know where your ship is docking?

We walked from the terminal to the newsstand where we purchased our transportation passes (about 5 min walk from Alcantara terminal) and then crossed the street & hopped on the tram.

We got off the tram at Lg. Princesa and walked down the street to Belem Tower. Next, we visited the Monument to Discoveries, walked up through the park & visited Jeronimos Monastery & cloisters, walked over to Pastéis de Belem for some of their yummy custard tarts, walked over to the National Coaches Museum & then caught tram 15E to Praça do Comércio where we had a glass of wine and snacks in an outside café, walked up to the elevator & then caught the tram back to our starting point & were back aboard ship an hour prior to sailing. We had a lovely day.

I still have the google map that I created for our Belem DIY excursion. If you would like the link to the map, you can email me.

Edited by dogs4fun

We did almost the same as dogs4fun, going to the furthest point and working our way back. the Rick Steve's guidebook on Spain/Portugal is very useful. Belem was a real highlight of our cruise.

Our ship docked in Lisbon (Alcantara) in May this year. We spent our day in Belem. Very easy to get to Belem from Alcantara using tram 15E. Do you know where your ship is docking?

We walked from the terminal to the newsstand where we purchased our transportation passes (about 5 min walk from Alcantara terminal) and then crossed the street & hopped on the tram.

We got off the tram at Lg. Princesa and walked down the street to Belem Tower. Next, we visited the Monument to Discoveries, walked up through the park & visited Jeronimos Monastery & cloisters, walked over to Pastéis de Belem for some of their yummy custard tarts, walked over to the National Coaches Museum & then caught tram 15E to Praça do Comércio where we had a glass of wine and snacks in an outside café, walked up to the elevator & then caught the tram back to our starting point & were back aboard ship an hour prior to sailing. We had a lovely day.

I still have the google map that I created for our Belem DIY excursion. If you would like the link to the map, you can email me.

We did almost the same as dogs4fun, going to the furthest point and working our way back. the Rick Steve's guidebook on Spain/Portugal is very useful. Belem was a real highlight of our cruise.
My husband and I are planning to do a similar on-our-own tour in Lisbon. I was looking at the area around the Alcantara Dock with Google Streetview and I have a couple of questions.

1) Is the tram stop for #15E/W the station opposite the port between Av. Brasilia and Av. India?

2) I can see a pedestrian underpass at the corner of Av. Brasilia and the small street that leads from the port past the small parks. I am I correct in guessing that it leads to the tram stop?

3) There is a bus stop on that same side street. Is the newsstand where you bought the transportation pass near there?

4) Were you able to buy an all-day transportation pass at the newsstand? If so, how much did it cost?

Thanks so much for any help you can give with these questions.

Carolyn

My husband and I are planning to do a similar on-our-own tour in Lisbon. I was looking at the area around the Alcantara Dock with Google Streetview and I have a couple of questions.

1) Is the tram stop for #15E/W the station opposite the port between Av. Brasilia and Av. India?

2) I can see a pedestrian underpass at the corner of Av. Brasilia and the small street that leads from the port past the small parks. I am I correct in guessing that it leads to the tram stop?

3) There is a bus stop on that same side street. Is the newsstand where you bought the transportation pass near there?

4) Were you able to buy an all-day transportation pass at the newsstand? If so, how much did it cost?

Thanks so much for any help you can give with these questions.

Carolyn

1) Tram stop is opposite port on Av 24 de Juhlo.

2) Correct - enter underpass on Av. Brasilia.

3) No - newsstand is on corner of Av 24 de Juhlo .

4) Yes - €6 for all day pass

When you come out of the Alcântara terminal walk straight ahead (with park on left) to Av. Brasilia. You'll see the underpass entrance ... Go down & all the way through the tunnel to the other end. There will be stairs to your right, and stairs and escalator to your left. Take the stairs or escalator to your left

As you exit the tunnel, and without crossing any streets, continue down this pedestrian boulevard. After about 220 yard, just before you come to the a cross street (24 de Juhlo), you will see the newsstand on your left.

I have the exact walking route from the terminal to the tram stop on the map I created. It shows where you enter & exit the underpass & the walking route down the ped path to the newsstand. If you would like the link, feel free to email.

Edited by dogs4fun

I have the exact walking route from the terminal to the tram stop on the map I created. It shows where you enter & exit the underpass & the walking route down the ped path to the newsstand. If you would like the link, feel free to email.

Hi Dogs4fun,

I would love your map! I will be in Lisbon next week. I don't know how to email you on here.

My email is bruce4fun@yahoo.com

Thanks,

Bruce4fun

When you come out of the Alcântara terminal walk straight ahead (with park on left) to Av. Brasilia. You'll see the underpass entrance ... Go down & all the way through the tunnel to the other end. There will be stairs to your right, and stairs and escalator to your left. Take the stairs or escalator to your left

As you exit the tunnel, and without crossing any streets, continue down this pedestrian boulevard. After about 220 yard, just before you come to the a cross street (24 de Juhlo), you will see the newsstand on your left.

Thank you for posting this; it is very helpful.

When I was searching, I found this post which has photos of the route: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=33638270&postcount=18

This is really very helpful and so kind of you dogs4fun. Would you be able to email a copy of the walking route to me too please. Our email address is acreman2@talktalk.net and we will be very grateful.

Maps links have been sent to all who requested them ... check your emails. :)

Remember that on Google maps, you can "zoom in" and "zoom out" & toggle between "satellite view" and "map view". You can also use "street view" on the Lisbon map by dropping the little yellow man somewhere along your route ... very useful tool.

We will come into Lisbon on the Ryndam. My husband isn't the best walker. I thought it would be best for us to take a taxi to the Belem Coach museum and walk to the Pasteis de Belem and Mosteiro dos Jeronimos. Will it be easy for us to find a taxi to return to the ship?

We will come into Lisbon on the Ryndam. My husband isn't the best walker. I thought it would be best for us to take a taxi to the Belem Coach museum and walk to the Pasteis de Belem and Mosteiro dos Jeronimos. Will it be easy for us to find a taxi to return to the ship?

I saw no taxi ranks near the monastery. This does not mean that none were available ... only that I did not notice any. I have never taken a taxi in Belem. Hopefully someone with taxi experience can better answer your question.

Edited by dogs4fun

Am I right in thinking that we can take tram 15E all the way and don't need to get bus 728 first? And when you went for your glass of wine towards the end of the day, did you again take the 15E all the way there and then back as far as the dock?

I now just want Azura to dock at the same place as yours and we have all the directions to do the same as you did because it sounds great!! :D

Am I right in thinking that we can take tram 15E all the way and don't need to get bus 728 first? And when you went for your glass of wine towards the end of the day, did you again take the 15E all the way there and then back as far as the dock?

I now just want Azura to dock at the same place as yours and we have all the directions to do the same as you did because it sounds great!! :D

Yes, you would only need tram 15E if you dock at Alcantara. Bus #728 (route on Google Map) is for the Jardim do Tabaco pier (further east of Alcantara & closer to Praça do Comércio). 15E will take you from Alcantara to Belem, Belem to Praça do Comércio and then back to Alcantara.

If your ship does not dock at Alcantara, you can still do all that we did. You would just need different transportation (ala bus #728). I, too, hope you dock at Alcantara as it is more convenient to Belem. :)

Yes, you would only need tram 15E if you dock at Alcantara. Bus #728 (route on Google Map) is for the Jardim do Tabaco pier (further east of Alcantara & closer to Praça do Comércio). 15E will take you from Alcantara to Belem, Belem to Praça do Comércio and then back to Alcantara.

If your ship does not dock at Alcantara, you can still do all that we did. You would just need different transportation (ala bus #728). I, too, hope you dock at Alcantara as it is more convenient to Belem. :)

Thank you so much dogs4fun for all your help. As you said previously, I think we shall have to wait until September before we can get the Lisbon docking information for October.

I see you will be in Venice soon; we will be there just a few days before you and, again, are really excited to be going there. Barcelona is also one of our favourite places, so much to see and do. I do hope you will have two wonderful cruises, you deserve it! :D

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone know how long the tram takes to get back from Praca do Comercio to the cruise port, please?
This is the link to all the bus/tram lines. Note that if you click on the name of the line, you will see a graphic with all the stops and the schedule; the "View on Map" button takes you to a page with several overview maps of the Carris system. http://www.carris.pt/en/buslines/

From that graphic, it looks like it is 12-13 minutes from Praca do Comercio to the "Alcântara / Av. 24 Julho" stop on the 15E tram line.

Don't forget that the 15E tram does NOT stop right at the Alcantara cruise terminal; the "Alcântara / Av. 24 Julho" stop is about 1/2 mile from the dock.

This posting on Cruise Critic describes in detail how to get to the tram stop:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=33638270&postcount=18

The tram instructions assume that you will dock at the Alcantara terminal; your ship may use another pier. This is where you will find that information (not available until about a month ahead):

http://www.portodelisboa.pt/portal/page/portal/PORTAL_PORTO_LISBOA_ING/CRUZEIROS/PREVISAO_NAVIOS_CRUZEIRO

Hope that helps!

Carolyn

You can use this link to check where your ship will be docking in Lisbon.

http://www.portodelisboa.pt/portal/page/portal/PORTAL_PORTO_LISBOA_ING/CRUZEIROS/CRUISE_TERMINALS

We were on Azura at the start of August, and docked at the Jardim do Tabaco, which is absolutely brilliant for the centre of town/shops and Alfama, being a 5-10 minute level walk to Praca do Comercio and the Rua Augusta Arch. You can see the arch and building façade from the berth. Unfortunately, as we were there on a Monday, most things were closed apart from the Castle and Cathedral. I know the attractions at Belem are closed then.

Thank you cboyle and groovechick for the information. I think I've got the tram worked out now and it was useful to hear about the Jardim de Tabaco berth. It's too early to look up where our ship docks yet. I didn't know things closed in Belem on Monday, so rushed to look at the itinerary. Fortunately, we'll be there on a Thursday!

Another question, sorry! I can't see Praca do Comercio on tram 28 route so where would we get that for a ride round the picturesque district (can't recall the name). Would we have time to look around Praca do Comercio, do tram 28 route before taking tram 15 to Belem, if that's possible? We're not sure yet where our ship will be docking, but hopeful that October schedules will be posted tomorrow.