Dress Code on Queen Mary 2

Kindlychap

No, I'm not restarting all the old chestnuts.....

However it has often been said that the dress code applies to the restaurants only. And it is far from unusual to see people still in day dress up to well past seven o'clock. Presumably second sitting in Britannia.

But I found something in the book of words in the cabin. I can't quote verbatim as I don't have it in front of me. But the clear message was that the dress code applied in all public rooms from six o'clock. In other words just like Queen Elizabeth 2.

It was a real surprise. And clearly acceptable to ignore. So why is it in there, or if it is what Cunard want, why isn't it on the daily programme?

Matthew

Who knows, but in polite society one know that the evening's (operative word is evening's) dress code is from 6pm ONWARD.. and not just in the diningroom. The excepted area being the buffets on both ships.

Perhaps they (Cunard) assumes incorrectly that their booking passengers understand what it means.

Heck, even if they printed it.... some people still wouldn't get it. Celebrity has been trying for years with the terms "REQUIRED".. and asking passengers to adhere to the ambiance of the evening... to no avail.

A shame really.

No, I'm not restarting all the old chestnuts.....

However it has often been said that the dress code applies to the restaurants only. And it is far from unusual to see people still in day dress up to well past seven o'clock. Presumably second sitting in Britannia.

But I found something in the book of words in the cabin. I can't quote verbatim as I don't have it in front of me. But the clear message was that the dress code applied in all public rooms from six o'clock. In other words just like Queen Elizabeth 2.

It was a real surprise. And clearly acceptable to ignore. So why is it in there, or if it is what Cunard want, why isn't it on the daily programme?

Matthew

Shh, have a sherry and forget about it. Cunard, like many other institutions these days, believes that consistency is all well and good, as long as you don't do it all the time.

Paul

I think it's more like what Babette said. We just need more polite society in the US, if the QM2 is going to have the US as her "home", for the time being.

Putting it in the Daily Programme would be a great idea, indeed.

I think it's more like what Babette said. We just need more polite society in the US, if the QM2 is going to have the US as her "home", for the time being.

Putting it in the Daily Programme would be a great idea, indeed.

I'm not at home, so I can't look, but it seems to m ethat it IS in the daily program. If not every day, then at least in the one that gives the overview at the start of the cruise. But honestly. How many people sit down and read the whole thing cover to cover. especially if it seems like it is giving you INSTRUCTIONS on your HOLIDAY!

Besides, even with the explanation of what things mean, I still say "informal" is a confusing term to most Americans. And who remembers the definitions? Even here, we've had to go back a look a few time, even people who have strong opinions! Plus, it seems like some of them are ever-floating definitions.

And how can you expect passengers to follow it when the line can't even follow its own published plans? (Such as those who brought "the wrong" kind of clothes based on Cunard's published pre-cruise Mem Day booklet. Although I honestly don't understand that all to well. I'm not a clothes horse, but most of mine could do double duty. My formals could be worn on informal night without making me look (I think) like a total fool. I tend to dress dressy anyway. Even casual night will catch me wearing dresses more often than not. And nice ones.

Karie,

who is aghast. they didn't tell us it would be on the test. Or I would have studied that part! :eek:

It is a bit hard to enforce the rule throughout the ship from 6pm. I agree it should apply to public rooms, but not the ship in general.

I am only speaking about QE2, but I am often still out on deck in casual clothes at 6-30pm and then have to traverse some of the public corridors and visit the Purser's office before dinner. At those times I would be seen in casual clothes. I do sometimes find it disconcerting to run into formally dressed persons in the lift and stairways obviously going to the Mauretania restaurent when I am still in casual clothes, but what can be done? I enjoy the early evening reading my books out on deck?

Regards, Louise

Lousie,

I agree wholeheartedly.

Marc and I always dine late, even at home.

Why should I have to be out of the spa, for instance (hot tub) and hide myself in my room by 6:00? I'm not going to walk into the dining area, and will try not to disturb the photographers doing portrait work, but I don't want to wear a gown to go enjoy the salt spray up on deck, or enjoy a quick cocktail at the Commodore (or maybe the Golden Lion, though on QM2, that woudl be too near the dining rooms!) before I have to go shower, wash my hair and so on.

And how can one do a proper funnel run in a gown (Don't tell me. I've seen the pictures! <G>)

karie,

who tries to be polite and considerate, but hopes she will get the same in return.

I am only speaking about QE2, but I am often still out on deck in casual clothes at 6-30pm and then have to traverse some of the public corridors and visit the Purser's office before dinner.

I'm with Louise on the question of when the dress code applies from, but I do feel that once changed for dinner you should stay dressed that way until bed (yours or somebody else's;) ).

I love all this dress confusion...the more I read, the more confused I get sometimes. Good thing I overpack!!:rolleyes:

I just pulled out one of my daily programme from last Dec and right on the front page, very prominant, is the dress code for the night (we were in St Kitts for the day). It reads...."The dress for tonight is Elegant Casual: For gentlemen, no jacket is required, a collared shirt with slacks is perfectly appropriate. For ladies, a blouse with skirt or slacks." One didn't have to go searching for it....it was right there. So that assumes that people will actually read the programme.

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

So that assumes that people will actually read the programme.

Penny - you in turn are also making a big assumption - that most of the passengers on Cunard's ships can read and don't just look at the pictures:D

I'm not at home, so I can't look, but it seems to m ethat it IS in the daily program. If not every day, then at least in the one that gives the overview at the start of the cruise. But honestly. How many people sit down and read the whole thing cover to cover. especially if it seems like it is giving you INSTRUCTIONS on your HOLIDAY!

Besides, even with the explanation of what things mean, I still say "informal" is a confusing term to most Americans. And who remembers the definitions? Even here, we've had to go back a look a few time, even people who have strong opinions! Plus, it seems like some of them are ever-floating definitions.

And how can you expect passengers to follow it when the line can't even follow its own published plans? (Such as those who brought "the wrong" kind of clothes based on Cunard's published pre-cruise Mem Day booklet. Although I honestly don't understand that all to well. I'm not a clothes horse, but most of mine could do double duty. My formals could be worn on informal night without making me look (I think) like a total fool. I tend to dress dressy anyway. Even casual night will catch me wearing dresses more often than not. And nice ones.

Karie,

who is aghast. they didn't tell us it would be on the test. Or I would have studied that part! :eek:

Karie,

You misunderstand.

I'm not discussing the levels of formality - those are made clear daily. And, in overview, at the start of the cruise.

What it actually says is that the dress code applied from 6 pm and will be enforced in the dining room.

I noted that in the book of words it adds the requirement that the dress code applies in the public rooms.

It is that difference I was commenting on. It seems odd that they don't tie up.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Matthew

If I may add to the confusion, in our daily programme on the QM2 'informal' was specified as cocktail or plain dress for the ladies.

For the tee-totalling passengers, maybe?

Not at all - the cocktail dress is for the pretty ladies the Plain dress is for the ugly ones:D

Karie,

You misunderstand.

Matthew

It wouldn't be the first time! <LOL>

My point (if I had one) is that people don't read the programs!

But point well taken. And like Malcolm says, this surprises you? Cunard inconsistent?

Not at all - the cocktail dress is for the pretty ladies the Plain dress is for the ugly ones:D

Now Malcolm. I don't talk about you that way! Some people have never seen a picture of me and may think I qualify for cocktail dress status!

And Wadadli- What about us ladies? Merlot glasses for viewing all of these <ahem> gents with the beer bellies and poorly self-tied bowties? (Not to mention the suspendered socks when they cross a leg) <teehee!>)

Karie,

who isn't sure whether it is night or day now (after a week on nights)

Champagne Goggles for me, although I've never seen a man who ties his own tie do it poorly. :p

that's why 99.8 % of them (excepting Matthew) where the pre0tied! <G>

Karie,. who had merlot AND champagne tonight! EVERYBODY looks beautiful (Even me!)

Besides, even with the explanation of what things mean, I still say "informal" is a confusing term to most Americans.

Kind of like flammable and inflammable? ;)

Actually, I think the biggest problem, present company excepted is that Americans can be pretty lazy.. in fact for some it has almost been perfected to an art form. We live in a country where people don't even get out of their cars to do something as serious as kill somebody. Peter used to complain because he would attend 8am classes in college wearing a shirt and tie while his classmates rolled out of bed and came to class in sweats. We now have casual Fridays and pajama bottoms have become acceptable to wear in public. I could go on about shoddy workmanship in the area of home improvement contractors, complain about school buses picking up kids door to door, and describe how recliner chairs have become so self sufficient with built in phones, coolers, remote controls, etc that you neve have to get up! However, getting any farther into it will disgust me more so I will leave it at that, lest I really start sounding unpatriotic.

Kind of like flammable and inflammable? ;)

Actually, I think the biggest problem, present company excepted is that Americans can be pretty lazy.. in fact for some it has almost been perfected to an art form. We live in a country where people don't even get out of their cars to do something as serious as kill somebody. Peter used to complain because he would attend 8am classes in college wearing a shirt and tie while his classmates rolled out of bed and came to class in sweats. We now have casual Fridays and pajama bottoms have become acceptable to wear in public. I could go on about shoddy workmanship in the area of home improvement contractors, complain about school buses picking up kids door to door, and describe how recliner chairs have become so self sufficient with built in phones, coolers, remote controls, etc that you neve have to get up! However, getting any farther into it will disgust me more so I will leave it at that, lest I really start sounding unpatriotic.

It is often the case that the worst of America comes to this country after a while.

We are certainly getting to this stage now. Perhaps not as badly as your picture, but still not good.

It isn't unpatriotic to point out where your country is going wrong. At least if it is then my passport must be due for confiscation!

Matthew

Archived