Recommendation for a hotel in Waikiki?

ripjerry95

Hi-

Looking for a nice hotel in Waikiki for a few days pre and post cruise. I don't want to break the bank. Sheraton Waikiki looks nice. Anyone with suggestions would be appreciated.

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

"Not breaking the bank" and "staying in Waikiki" are pretty much mutually exclusive...

My research for our POA cruise showed all the Waikiki beach front hotels to be on the expensive side, with rates falling off as you moved farther back from the beach. So if an ocean view, or being right on the beach, is not important to you, then look for hotels back along Kuhio Ave, Ala Wai Blvd, and the side streets leading from them up to Kalakaua Ave.

The good news is that none of those locations is much of a walk from the beach.

Since you asked for specific recommendations, we stayed at the Waikiki Outrigger and really enjoyed it. But we were only there for one night, and had already decided to pay for a beach front location.

Edited by VideoTech

We stayed at the Ohana East, next door to the Sheraton. It was an older hotel, but it was clean, and we thought the location was perfect. I watched rates for several hotels for a couple of months, starting about 8 months before our cruise and booked when the rates were low (I believe we paid around $109 per night in 2012), then watched them climb to >$200/night as we got closer to sailing.

There are many nice and pricey hotels in Waikiki, but also less expensive options if you don't have to be right on the beach.

We stayed at the Ohana East, next door to the Sheraton. It was an older hotel, but it was clean, and we thought the location was perfect. I watched rates for several hotels for a couple of months, starting about 8 months before our cruise and booked when the rates were low (I believe we paid around $109 per night in 2012), then watched them climb to >$200/night as we got closer to sailing.

There are many nice and pricey hotels in Waikiki, but also less expensive options if you don't have to be right on the beach.

nbist, you have the wrong Sheraton. The Sheraton next to the Ohana is the Princess Kaiulani, I believe the OP is talking about the Sheraton Waikiki.

Personally I find the Sheraton Waikiki a generally awful hotel. It is way too big, way too crowded, slow elevators and doesn't feel especially Hawaiian.

I'd look at both the Outrigger Hotels (Reef & Waikiki Beach), Hyatt Regency, The Waikiki Parc Hotel and for giggles price out the Royal Hawaiian and Moana Surfrider.

Off the beach, but nice places are the Holiday Inn Beachcomber and Hilton Waikiki Beach, but there are many, many nice places at relatively lower costs.

What is your budget?

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Beachcomber Waikiki April 1 - 5. We found it to be clean and roomy with friendly staff. It's not right on the beach, but within a few steps. Lots of shopping and restaurants nearby. We had a large safe in the closet, as well as an iron and ironing board. Decent size room and bathroom. Average size lanai with 2 chairs and a table. I found the rates to be slightly cheaper than the beach front hotels and they do not have a resort fee added on. There were extra pillows and blankets in the closet. Bed was comfortable and I found their towels to be extremely fluffy. Key card is required to use the elevator. Jimmy Buffet's Margarittaville on the lobby level, as well as the pool.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if you're looking at the Sheraton because of a preference for Starwood Hotels or any other reason, but I'll vouch for the Moana Surfrider which is Westin property and is known as the "First Lady of Waikiki." It's a gorgeous hotel with a lot of history. Sipping morning coffee while rocking in the chairs on the front porch or breakfast on the Veranda just can't be beat!

resort24.jpg

Edited by puddles99

The Sheraton Waikiki is great. The infinity pool is fabulous and you don't even know the rest of Waikiki exists. We have stayed 15+ times at the Moana Surfrider but if we cannot get an ocean view, balcony room in the banyan wing we choose the Sheraton Waikiki. You can enjoy the Surfrider for drinks and music in the evenings, or the great rocking chairs on the front porch. The Park Shore is great for "not breaking the bank." It is one of the few hotels in this price category that offer a pool and great views of Diamond Head, the beach, and Kapiolani park. Lulu's is one of our favorite restaurants. Cherie

We stayed at the Outrigger Luana in Nov. It was a large room with a kitchenette. There were plenty of stores and restaurants in walking distance and the beach was a couple blocks away. I have pictures in my review. I would stay there again if we ever make it back to Hawaii.1398736717782.jpg.ca2a5c1bf178866949b1394cd4db59ac.jpg

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Forums mobile app