Critique my plans with little kids

We are going to be in St. Martin on the RCCL Oasis of the Seas on Tuesday, September 6th. The ship is docked from 8am - 5pm.

It is my wife and I, and our 3.5 year old and 8 month old sons.

Let me know what you think of my plans.

We would leave the ship as soon as we can (8:30ish). I was going to rent a car from Hertz at the port. Without any discounts the car rental is $66 all-in, but I bet I can get it cheaper if I find a code. We will have our kids' car seats, which I'll install in the car.

We would drive to the Butterfly Farm and get there at like 9 or 9:30ish. We'd probably spend about an hour there.

Then, we'd drive around the corner to Le Galion beach. I hear it's super kid friendly. We'd spend a few hours at the beach. Depending on the kids moods and naps, we'll either come back at 1ish, or if they can nap at the beach, at 3:30ish.

The other options I've thought about are just taking the water taxi over to Phillipsburg and going to the beach there, but I've heard the water is really dirty and not safe for swimming. Or we could just get taxis to and from Le Galion beach, which would be alot less expensive and alot easier than renting, but I'm concerned about taking my little kids in a taxi in a foreign country with no car seats.

Thoughts, suggestions?

I think your Le Galion plan sounds fine with the rental car. I do not think you could assume that a taxi each way would be cheaper - and I do not think you want to walk from the Butterfly Farm to Le Galion - so if you taxi, that is a third ride. Le Galion is a good beach for the older child. Remember to keep watch over your possessions and leave nothing of value in the car at Le Galion - although you may need to leave the car seats - park close to where you will be on beach.

If you guys are brave enough to plan this travel with an 8 month old - you are ready for St Martin!

I think your Le Galion plan sounds fine with the rental car. I do not think you could assume that a taxi each way would be cheaper - and I do not think you want to walk from the Butterfly Farm to Le Galion - so if you taxi, that is a third ride. Le Galion is a good beach for the older child. Remember to keep watch over your possessions and leave nothing of value in the car at Le Galion - although you may need to leave the car seats - park close to where you will be on beach.

If you guys are brave enough to plan this travel with an 8 month old - you are ready for St Martin!

Agreed - taxis on the itinerary described would not be any cheaper and could be hard to get at Le Galion and harder still at Butterfly Farm ( not even considering the time wasted). Le Galion is the best choice for little ones - even the baby could sit and splash in the shallows, as it is always calm.

Looks like a good plan. The only thing that might be wrong is your estimated times. You may not be able to leave the ship as early as you expect. There will be some time spent at the rental agency depending on number of customers and reps they have handling things and whether or not they have your reservation ready to go. The drive to the Butterfly Farm might take longer than you think, depending on the traffic. Likewise the return from Galion. So don't be a slave to your schedule heading out and do give yourself enough time to get back to the ship when you are ready to go.