Taxi to LeGalion?

Mom.to.2

It's been several years since we've been to St. Martaan. Can anyone tell me the current taxi rates from cruise port (Charlotte Amalie) to LeGalion? How long is the ride?

Any difficulty finding a taxi for the return trip back to port? Suggestions?

What is the fee to rent chairs & umbrella?

Is there still a restaurant/snack bar operating?

TIA!

It's been several years since we've been to St. Martaan. Can anyone tell me the current taxi rates from cruise port (Charlotte Amalie) to LeGalion? How long is the ride?

Any difficulty finding a taxi for the return trip back to port? Suggestions?

What is the fee to rent chairs & umbrella?

Is there still a restaurant/snack bar operating?

TIA!

That would run about $2,000 and take probably 8-10 hours, as it is about 130 miles of open water. :)

But, seriously, read this post.

I'd allow 40 minutes and hope for 30.

I've never seen taxis waiting at le Galion, but recent reports here indicate there sometimes are. The bar/restaurant should be able to call one for you. Off-season they are closed on Mondays.

Don't know how much chair rentals run.

gary

Oops. We're going to St Thomas too & I got confused.

We'll be in St. Maarten on a Thursday in April. Is it safe to assume the LeGalion restaurant will be open, and therefore not to worry about finding a taxi back to the ship? (Because the restaurant will call for us, if needed)

Thank you for the link to the other thread. There are 4 of us, so sounds like ~$40 each way, and allow 40 mins travel time. Correct?

Thank you gtaylor!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

April is still in-season, so they will be open 7 days a week.

"then $9 per person three up to five" should be $36. I guess $4 would be a decent tip. The driver might add a few more people that are headed to Orient and drop the group price another $1.

30 - 40 minutes, perhaps even a bit less if you miss traffic.

gary

• 1 month later...

We were just at LeGalion on Nov 10, 2015. $10pp one way for the taxi. There were 2 in our party so not sure if cost would vary for larger group.

I believe there were 4 ships in port and no taxis at LeGalion waiting for return back to port. About 1 hour before we wanted to leave we started paying attention to see if any taxis were waiting. We didn't see one.

We asked the restaurant and they said with 4 ships in town taxis should come by every half hour or so. Well we saw none. So we asked the restaurant to call one for us.

The restaurant does require a deposit (so for us - 2 people the deposit was $20.) They told me if a they call a taxi and the taxi shows but the people wanting the taxi left, the restaurant gets charged the rate for calling. So they require the deposit.

So when the taxi arrives, the taxi blows the horn, you go to the restaurant and get your deposit (the guy was actually walking toward me to give us deposit back) and you are on your way.

I totally understand and have no problem with the deposit. The restaurant is doing you a favorite by calling. Why should they get stuck if you find another way back to port.

We had a great time at LeGalion. Only a few cruise passengers there. Mostly locals.

Would definitely go back.

We were just at LeGalion on Nov 10, 2015. $10pp one way for the taxi. There were 2 in our party so not sure if cost would vary for larger group.

I believe there were 4 ships in port and no taxis at LeGalion waiting for return back to port. About 1 hour before we wanted to leave we started paying attention to see if any taxis were waiting. We didn't see one.

We asked the restaurant and they said with 4 ships in town taxis should come by every half hour or so. Well we saw none. So we asked the restaurant to call one for us.

The restaurant does require a deposit (so for us - 2 people the deposit was $20.) They told me if a they call a taxi and the taxi shows but the people wanting the taxi left, the restaurant gets charged the rate for calling. So they require the deposit.

So when the taxi arrives, the taxi blows the horn, you go to the restaurant and get your deposit (the guy was actually walking toward me to give us deposit back) and you are on your way.

I totally understand and have no problem with the deposit. The restaurant is doing you a favorite by calling. Why should they get stuck if you find another way back to port.

We had a great time at LeGalion. Only a few cruise passengers there. Mostly locals.

Would definitely go back.

Thank you, this is most helpful!

Agree that the taxi deposit is fair. How long would you say it took for a taxi to arrive, after they called?

Thank you, this is most helpful!

Agree that the taxi deposit is fair. How long would you say it took for a taxi to arrive, after they called?

The restaurant said 10-12 minutes which is about what it took. But don't know if the taxi was coming from another stop close by or the taxi being dispatched.

Edited by l2f

We have posted info on Le Galion...over the years and folks should understand what they get at that beach. It is a very sheltered beach/bay so when the waters at nearby Orient Bay are rough, it will usually be calm at Galion. The beach has a beach bar/cafe which is very French oriented...and they tend to give a lousy rate of exchange if you pay in dollars. So if you happen to have some Euros, this is the place to spend them :). The food is basic, but excellent and the owners friendly.

The beach is probably the safest swimming beach on the entire island with a very gradual sandy entrance. It is the perfect place to take your children and that is why you may see a lot of island families (especially on weekends) at this beach. In fact, even the local schools bring busloads here...although they stay to themselves at the far end of the beach and do not interfere with tourists. When we stay on the island this is one of our "go to" beaches when the wind is blowing and the seas are rough.

Hank