Directions for the Troll road or Trollstigen in Alesund, Norday

swdke

yes of course.

However I thought that they would enjoy a round trip rather then going back on the same way they came, even if it would mean a longer trip.

Edited by Desdichado62

yes of course.

However I thought that they would enjoy a round trip rather then going back on the same way they came, even if it would mean a longer trip.

I appreciate the information on both routes, and it may be nice to go back a different route to see different scenery. Regarding the drive time and road, is it the same drive time either route? Thanks.

yes of course.

Sure. I agree on the return route via Åndalsnes.

While in Åndalsnes anyway I would suggest a detour to The Trollwall mountain visitor center. The wall is the highest vertical mountain wall in Europe.

I appreciate the information on both routes, and it may be nice to go back a different route to see different scenery. Regarding the drive time and road, is it the same drive time either route? Thanks.

The drive time on the first route is over 3 hrs via 2 ferries an via Sykkylven and Stranda (There really isnt anything of interest to see there)

The second route can be done in 1.5-2 hrs and follows the Storfjord which is spectacular.

But, then again, what do I know - I only live in the area:D:D

Edited by I-Cruiser

Without taking a ferry, is there really only one way? What about going via Tresfjord and Andalsnes, is that a 2nd way to go? If so, how long would this drive be? Google Map seems to indicate the time is the same as if going via Valldal, then up? I-Cruiser, is it possible to go the direction you recommend, and come back via another route, one with no ferries? Thanks.

I sincerely appreciate the help and information. Thanks!

Edited by swdke

Without taking a ferry, is there really only one way? What about going via Tresfjord and Andalsnes, is that a 2nd way to go? If so, how long would this drive be? Google Map seems to indicate the time is the same as if going via Valldal, then up? I-Cruiser, is it possible to go the direction you recommend, and come back via another route, one with no ferries? Thanks.

I sincerely appreciate the help and information. Thanks!

You dont need to take any ferries.

If you go to Trollstigen via the route I recommended you can go back to Ålesund via Tresfjord and Andalsnes as Desdichado62 recommended.

I would say 2 hrs to 2,5 hrs to Trollstigen with photo stops along the way. You should stop at Gudbrandsjuvet between Valldal and Trollstigen.

I would recommend 3 hrs-3.5 hrs from Trollstigen to Alesund with a stop at the Trollwall (Trollveggen) Mountain for lunch(?)....

You dont need to take any ferries.

If you go to Trollstigen via the route I recommended you can go back to Ålesund via Tresfjord and Andalsnes as Desdichado62 recommended.

I would say 2 hrs to 2,5 hrs to Trollstigen with photo stops along the way. You should stop at Gudbrandsjuvet between Valldal and Trollstigen.

I would recommend 3 hrs-3.5 hrs from Trollstigen to Alesund with a stop at the Trollwall (Trollveggen) Mountain for lunch(?)....

I appreciate the maps, could you do a map again, one including round trip so that I can better see what you are referring too? Thanks.

• 8 months later...

I-Cruiser, what road tour would you recommend in our situation? Looked at the ones mentioned on the previous page but we've got a bit of poor timing at Alesund this itinerary. We'll be docked from 11pm until 3pm next day. If all goes well, I'll be able to get going somewhere round 9-9.30 am. Given my health 3, perhaps 4 hours is plenty. I'm the problematic one so to say ;) , being bedridden and thus will be lying down in the car. Obviously can -and boy will I- look out the window and enjoy, but this trip is focussed on "seeing from a set location" and not exploring insides of buildings etc.

Any tips about routes that are a bit shorter in time to suit this would be greatly appreciated.

I-Cruiser, what road tour would you recommend in our situation? Looked at the ones mentioned on the previous page but we've got a bit of poor timing at Alesund this itinerary. We'll be docked from 11pm until 3pm next day. If all goes well, I'll be able to get going somewhere round 9-9.30 am. Given my health 3, perhaps 4 hours is plenty. I'm the problematic one so to say ;) , being bedridden and thus will be lying down in the car. Obviously can -and boy will I- look out the window and enjoy, but this trip is focussed on "seeing from a set location" and not exploring insides of buildings etc.

Any tips about routes that are a bit shorter in time to suit this would be greatly appreciated.

The obvious choice would be to explore the near surrounding are of Ålesund.

As 3-4 hours would be to short to explore the Troll road or Geiranger (but you might visit Geiranger on your cruise anyway?)

A tour by car to places like Hellesylt and the island of Runde will take 2 hours each way. Then there you might want to explore, drive around for a while.

Would that be doable or would it be to long?

As the longer routes are to long I would suggest to drive from Ålesund to the island of Godoy and the little settlement of Alnes. Its a very fascinating area all the way out in the ocean. Its rugged, its bare and magical. Alnes is known for its lighthouse.

Getting there you have to drive through 3 subsea tunnels. 2 of them are some of the longest in Northern Europe.

Getting from Ålesund to Alnes will take 30 minutes one way.

https://www.google.no/maps/dir/%C3%85lesund/Alnes/@62.4900772,5.9440201,11z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x4616da471047fb4b:0xe82562ee3bc08fea!2m2!1d6.149482!2d62.4722284!1m5!1m1!1s0x4616d873679a3b5d:0xb2f118179ecc7421!2m2!1d5.9742387!2d62.4856696!3e0

From Alnes you can drive to the small place of Ørskog. There is not much there but you get to drive and enjoy the beautiful scenery of Storfjorden Fjord.

I am sure you will enjoy the small farms along the narrow roads.

From Ørskog you might want to drive the short route to the valley/mountain of Ørskogfjellet (the Ørskog mountain) Again, not much there but high mountains and stunning scenery.

The drive from Alnes to Ørskog will take approx 1 hour (also calculate 1 hour back to Ålesund)

https://www.google.no/maps/dir/Alnes/Fjellstova+%C3%98rskogfjellet+Klein+HulseAS,+Postboks+59,+%C3%98rskog,+6240+%C3%98rskog/@62.4852364,6.2655555,11z/data=!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x4616d873679a3b5d:0xb2f118179ecc7421!2m2!1d5.9742387!2d62.4856696!1m5!1m1!1s0x4616ae29a45a9deb:0xe861b0c42c6e0c1e!2m2!1d6.915893!2d62.522299!3e0

You may also would like to venture further to the village of Stordal. A tiny little place with 2 churces one dating back to 1700.

The drive is again along the Storfjord.

Getting there will take 1,25 hours one way.

https://www.google.no/maps/dir/Alnes/Stordal/@62.4520571,6.2465649,10z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x4616d873679a3b5d:0xb2f118179ecc7421!2m2!1d5.9742387!2d62.4856696!1m5!1m1!1s0x4616a6f222b3c8b7:0xae540010cf498585!2m2!1d7.0684327!2d62.3887275!3e0

This is a few options I can think off.

Please let me know if you have other questions about the routes etc.

Lars:)

We did this drive last year in September and loved it ! Here's a couple photos.

IMG_4712-002_zpsa968e7ad.jpg

IMG_4830-003_zps299f83f6.jpg

Second viewpoint

IMG_4912-003_zpsadbf21dc.jpg

IMG_4896-002_zps14993479.jpg

The first viewpoint by the waterfall

IMG_4931-001_zps530afce0.jpg

Great pictures - Thank you for posting.