Want to go to JVD, but no ship excursion

carlissaandisaacsmommy

We will be on the Norwegian Escape in 3 weeks and would love to go to JVD. (We don't want to do the baths.) I've seen people talk about an excursion through NCL that goes there, but I'm not finding it. :( We are 2 adults in our 30's with 2 kids, ages 5 and 10. Not big bar people, but like maybe one or 2 drinks on the beach. Will probably only spend a couple of hours at the beach, but want it to be a "postcard pretty" beach since this is the first time our kiddos have been the Eastern Caribbean route.

Am I making a good choice going to JVD and if so, can you tell me step by step how to get there?

The Rebel Yell is the catamaran through the ship and is actually the best option for this excursion. Because of that it usually fills up very early and that's probably why you are not seeing it available.

The next best option is taking the taxi/ferry/taxi.

For that option you'd taxi 25 - 30 minutes to West End and take the 20 min ferry over, then a 5 min taxi from Great Harbor to White Bay. The total cost to get to White Bay that way would be about $62pp round trip (Taxi $27 RT, ferry $25 RT, taxi on Jost ~$10 RT). Figure 1 - 1.5 hrs for any waiting to be safe.

For a picture postcard beach you can get that right on Tortola for a $16 - 24pp taxi round trip. If interested use the search function and look at Long Bay (West End, not Beef Island), and Brewers Bay. And Cane Garden Bay is where many day visitors from the ships go but that is a nice large bay with a nice beach and more beach bars to check out. :)

The kids taxi fare would be 1/2 price

Just a few threads down on this very page is the link to the Soggy Dollar web cam. You can decide for yourself if it is postcard pretty enough for your kids.

To me, it has the reputation of a bar crawl beach (nothing wrong with that), and you might consider Blue_Water's recommendation to find one of the Tortola beaches.

http://www.soggydollar.com/webcam

As you research White Bay you'll find that the Soggy $ is the busiest spot with their Painkillers, and there are other places to stop for a drink or to get away from the crowd. We like Seddy's One Love Bar, Seddy's magic and card tricks are fun and the kids would love him. His dad owns Foxy's over in great Harbor. In the other direction away from the crowds is Ivan's Stress Free Bar. So Jost is worth a visit, especially on a weekday when it's not as crowded, and there are spots you can get away from the bigger crowd if there is one that day. And of course the kids would enjoy Foxy's storytelling/songs at his place in Great Harbor.

But yes, if Rebel Yell is not available, and you don't want to go through the expense and trouble for a couple hours, look at the Tortola beaches mentioned. I didn't mention Smuggler's Cove even though it is arguably the nicest beach you will see on your cruise. Only because you'd need to hire a driver to take you and either stay with you or return. Nigel may be there selling drinks but other than that there are no amenities. But gorgeous! That and Long Bay (West End) are often featured on picture postcards and magazine covers.

We are planning on taking Kuralu private excursion to Jost Van dyke in November. for about the same price as Rebel Yell you will get lunch, drinks, snorkel equipment and one more stop plus a more intimate setting of less than 20

We are planning on taking Kuralu private excursion to Jost Van dyke in November. for about the same price as Rebel Yell you will get lunch, drinks, snorkel equipment and one more stop plus a more intimate setting of less than 20

Yes Kuralu is a great option for a short stop in White Bay with lunch on the boat after a stop at Sandy Spit or Diamond Reed off Little Jost. If you don't want to snorkel you can enjoy the beach on Sandy Spit, or the B-Line Beach Bar on Little Jost depending on the weather. If I remember the price is $110 - $120 and perhaps 1/2 fare for the kids. We keep trying to schedule a sail with them when staying on Tortola and have yet to do that sadly.

Bedfordmom, Kuralu sails out of West End, do they provide transportation to and from WE? Or do they do something else now? You don't get a lot of time to spend in White Bay with that option, but it is a very nice day on the water.

Their Indians and Norman Island, or Salt, Cooper, and Peter Island sails are even more amazing, and your kids would be thrilled with tales of pirates and Treasure Island!

Yes Kuralu is a great option for a short stop in White Bay with lunch on the boat after a stop at Sandy Spit or Diamond Reed off Little Jost. If you don't want to snorkel you can enjoy the beach on Sandy Spit, or the B-Line Beach Bar on Little Jost depending on the weather. If I remember the price is $110 - $120 and perhaps 1/2 fare for the kids. We keep trying to schedule a sail with them when staying on Tortola and have yet to do that sadly.

Bedfordmom, Kuralu sails out of West End, do they provide transportation to and from WE? Or do they do something else now? You don't get a lot of time to spend in White Bay with that option, but it is a very nice day on the water.

Their Indians and Norman Island, or Salt, Cooper, and Peter Island sails are even more amazing, and your kids would be thrilled with tales of pirates and Treasure Island!

The owner arranges a taxi for 20pp round trip. we do have a full day 8-6 on Tortola but the shortened time on Jost is fine for me as I enjoy being on a smaller boat

The owner arranges a taxi for 20pp round trip. we do have a full day 8-6 on Tortola but the shortened time on Jost is fine for me as I enjoy being on a smaller boat

Thanks, and I'm sure you will have a wonderful day!