Spirit air?

lucyjlou

If you fly a lot Spirit is great to join the $9.00 club.

The annual membership fee auto-renews to your CC the month prior to expiration. If you decide to discontinue the $9 club membership, be sure to proactively cancel during the first 10-11 months of the membership year. A travel ombudsman went to bat for several people who were surprised by the charge. Sprit would absolutely not budge; frankly I have to agree with them since it was apparently stated on their website.

As FYI, Spirit's core business isn't transportation. They are a holding company for a fleet of Airbus planes. Spirit Airlines is a division of the parent company which exists to provide revenue back to the holding company. The planes are in a lease-back arrangement instead of leasing out to 3rd parties. Little or no practical consumer difference, just interesting (and not a criticism or a compliment)

Edited by kenish

Hubby and I are looking at planning a last minute cruise on Carnival ($279 plus taxes and fees for a 6 day Caribbean on the BREEZE no less - Pack and Go rate) but for us coming from the West Coast, flights are VERY expensive!! Right now we can fly out of Las Vegas to FLL for around $700RT (for both of us). It may just be worth the hassle for the price :o

• 2 weeks later...

Sadly my defense of Spirit Airlines has recently taken a turn. I flew from Detroit to Denver. They were overbooked on the way home. I was offered "a future voucher to travel anywhere Spirit flies" if I volunteered to give up my seat. The only stipulation was that I had to book that future flight within 60 days but it could be to any place they fly and out as far as they are scheduling. I have never taken an airline up on these offers but figured since I have a cruise out of San Juan in the fall, I may as well volunteer in order to save $400 on that flight!

I took it even though it meant that the next flight was on Delta and began at 6am and would take me back to Salt Lake City and then to Detroit. Turned out to be a heck of a 24 hour travel day but for the free future flight, WORTH IT!

Yesterday I attempted to book that free flight. Spirit said "no, that voucher is not good on the flight for that San Juan trip". I was not happy. Even after speaking with Marie ID#29469 (they do not provide real names), there is no way to use my "anywhere Spirit flies" voucher on that cruise trip. So I asked about Detroit to Ft Lauderdale - nope. Detroit to Tampa, nope. Detroit to Ft Myers - nope. Detroit to Las Vegas - nope. Detroit to LA - nope. Hmmm, "when is it valid" I asked. Marie responded, you have to ask me for a particular trip and I will look it up. I explained that I just gave her half a dozen and they were all invalid and she said "try a different one". After 60 minutes on the phone, I hung up with no trip anywhere. I now believe that they used a fraudulant means to fix that day's overbooked situation and had no intention on offering a free future trip.

Bottom line - I join the masses and say "don't trust 'em" :mad:

I was offered "a future voucher to travel anywhere Spirit flies" if I volunteered to give up my seat. The only stipulation was that I had to book that future flight within 60 days but it could be to any place they fly and out as far as they are scheduling.

Well, you were probably told the truth but not the *whole* truth! Possibly the voucher is valid at every city, but on very few routes. Were you asking for specific dates? The ones available may be at non-peak dates or times (a 4am departure to Boston in February).

I'd carefully read the wording of the voucher, hold Spirit to it (and you may get better results by calling a different agent). If they don't honor the strict terms of the voucher, file a complaint with DoT. But a long line for that; Spirit has a very high complaint rate and is the only North American airline with a 2-star average rating among consumer travel organizations.

Agree it must be maddening!

Edited by kenish

So true Kenish. You hit it right on with the not all routes issue AND not all fare classes either. It sounded way better when they issued it than now.:o

I just booked Jet Blue for the first time.