Best guess on Summit and Bermuda?

captdave

Summit was to come back to Bermuda late April or early May 2015.

This is the local cruise for me, I love this one.

Will Bermuda be back up by then?

Will Summit go somewhere else?

CaptDave

Gee CAPTDAVE let's not be all Doom & Gloom for poor Bermuda just yet... I mean Gonzalo hasn't even run over the Island yet

Bermuda is a 1st world country... Not some poor Caribbean Nation... She may fare quite well in spite of this (much like some past Hurricane hits in the US have been)

Let's give her the benefit of the doubt & wait and see

Talk to me about this again come next week

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

A hurricane is overrunning Bermuda as we speak.

CaptDave

I realize that. My point is that the first Celebrity sailing to Bermuda is more than 6 months away. I have every confidence that an island that is as wealthy as Bermuda (and important to many business sectors such as Banking and Insurance) will ensure that their infrastructure is up and running long before that period of time passes.

This appears to be similar to Fabian in 2003.

In that case, 80% of the island lost power for up to 3 weeks.

The causeway was closed for a period but since it is the only way to the airport, not too long. We were there not that long afterward and you could still see the effects but we went on pretty much like we always had.

I am fairly sure Summit will be there next spring.

Edited by ECCruise

This appears to be similar to Fabian in 2003.

In that case, 80% of the island lost power for up to 3 weeks.

The causeway was closed for a period but since it is the only way to the airport, not too long. We were there not that long afterward and you could still see the effects but we went on pretty much like we always had.

I am fairly sure Summit will be there next spring.

I did about 50 visits to Bermuda between 1998-1999. I know it's infrastructure is first rate.

A did a few more trips there till about 2008.

Did the Summit to Bermuda back in May 2011, St Georges was a bit rundown compared to before.

Lets keep our hopes up that it's not that bad this time.

CaptDave

Summit was to come back to Bermuda late April or early May 2015.

This is the local cruise for me, I love this one.

Will Bermuda be back up by then?

Will Summit go somewhere else?

CaptDave

Sure hope so, Dave. We were on Summit's last Bermuda call of this season. It was our first time there, and we just fell in love with the island, and its residents. We're booked for next May, so I hope that everything is back on an even keel, by then. Interestingly, if you know where to look, you can still find remnants of damage from Fabian, ten years ago. For right now, we're just keeping an eye on the Weather Channel -- which is doing a good job of tracking Gonzalo.

I was just looking through my old Bermuda Photo's. Sunrise on May 29, 2011 with much nicer weather.

15560157742_2b111845eb_c.jpg

CaptDave

Nice photo

One of the great things we have discovered about cruising is Sunrises & Sunsets... A little something that happens every.single.day.of.our.lives but unless we are on vacation (island time) we never seem to slow down enough to take note

Your picture... Holds hope for better things after the storm has passed

And for myself personally, the fact that Mr Sloop & I will probably be in Bermuda on the Summit next May. Hopefully, we will see such a beautiful sight for ourselves

Thanks for sharing,

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Infinity TA is scheduled there in a few days...not sure if they will go? Have to check the live thread from GHstudio.....or maybe port bd once electric & computers there are fully functional Right now they are focusing on getting the roads open etc...

Wishing the best for Bermuda and all those who plan to sail or vacation there. It is a first rate destination!

Edited by hcat

Infinity TA is scheduled there in a few days...not sure if they will go? Have to check the live thread from GHstudio.....or maybe port bd once electric & computers there are fully functional Right now they are focusing on getting the roads open etc...

Wishing the best for Bermuda and all those who plan to sail or vacation there. It is a first rate destination!

GHSTUDIO's latest LIVE report from the Infinity (this AM) says they are still on track for Bermuda (but believe that is 4 or so days from now)

Do know that another cruiseline (think it was RCCL) that was scheduled to be there on Monday.. Have been told to go elsewhere

Weather Network Canada says Bermuda faired reasonably well, all things consided. Mostly wind damage to trees & downed wires etc. Seems that infastructure & buildings held up fairly well. No loss of life and that is the most important thing !!

Continuing to follow... If I find out more will post again

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB