suggestions for light car seat for travel

tothemed

We'll be traveling with our 2 year old and I am looking for suggestions for a light weight car seat to use on private excursions (mostly in vans). We currently have a Britax Boulevard and it's pretty bulky. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Edited by tothemed

• 2 weeks later...
We'll be traveling with our 2 year old and I am looking for suggestions for a light weight car seat to use on private excursions (mostly in vans). We currently have a Britax Boulevard and it's pretty bulky. Any suggestions are appreciated!

I recently purchased a ridesafer vest based on the recommendations of a car seat expert that frequents this site. I've used it several times already and plan to use it again for our upcoming cruise in March.

http://www.safetrafficsystem.com/

If this fits your 2 year old it might be a good option.

http://www.elitecarseats.com/Safe-Traffic-Systems-Ride-Safer-Travel-Vest.pro

If not then I would go with a Scenera

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00192GC82/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000GY5OBA&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=07X14F1P8FP5AEXYKGJW

The Scenera is sold at Target, Walmart etc. Just different fabric patterns basically. decent, light 5 point harnessed seat. Good till a child reaches 40bs!

I recently purchased a ridesafer vest based on the recommendations of a car seat expert that frequents this site. I've used it several times already and plan to use it again for our upcoming cruise in March.

http://www.safetrafficsystem.com/

We have used the ridesafer vest and really like it. It is a little hot if you use (which we do) the back piece which has the portion with head and neck side impact protection. An added bonus is it works with lap shoulder or lap only belts. Takes up a little more room, but not much. We went to Baltimore for the weekend and just placed it across the top of the clothes in the carry-on rolling bag. When we got outside to get into the inlaw's car I just opened up the bag, popped out the vest, and hooked her up. Great.

The Tote-n-Go and the Eddie Bauer seat have been pulled off the market, supposedly because they're dangerous. Definitely avoid these products.

By contrast, the Rider Safe vest get excellent reviews from car seat techs and is easy to bring along.

The Scenera car seat is light and easy to carry. You can also use it on the airplane (which is safer than just the lap belt).

Where are you going??

In Europe last year we requested a car seat with each of our private tours. I know some folks shy away from this- but in our experience the seats appeared to be nearly new (very gently used, if at all) and we had great luck.. with no lugging of car seats.

Edited by WineDown17

• 4 years later...

Thanks for bringing this back up! We're cruising with our 2.5 year old in a few weeks and the saferider vest would be perfect but DD is not old enough for it yet. It looks like it will be a great investment in the future though. I would love to find something just as safe for her but more travel-able than a bulky car seat.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We have the Alpha Omega carseat normally, which is huge and heavy. We bought the Cosco Scenera to use on our cruise last October and it was perfect. Not heavy at all, but still has a five point harness. It was perfect for our "two and change" toddler.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by giselleacttwo